·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my DROIDS so far...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Geez, I first thought that the R2 pic was of the real thing......excellent work as usual!
I'm always bringing friends to your website to view your work, you gonna post these there when you're finished?
Also, on the model, didn't the center "leg" retract into the body? Been so long since I had these two it seems like a vague memory

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
[3P0 voice] WONderful! [/3P0]

I miss those kits. Sure wish they'd reissue them.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Man those are sharp looking droids. You never fail to impress me!!
Perhaps someday I'll get my hands on a set of them. Well, one can hope.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! :)

Yep Mitch the upper leg does retract.

Believe it or not those droid kits go for 10.00 to 30.00 on ebay all the time...even the original 1977 releases!

For R2's blue anodized parts I used a base coat of a flat aluminum with final coats of tamiya clear blue, the dome is metallizers aluminum.

3PO is painted with the Alclad II 'pale Gold' a little brighter color than the bootle looks but nothing I experiemented with had that real nice bright metalic look :(

Watch...in a week or two Alclad will come out with a BRIGHT GOLD! :mad:

I did try to mix a bit of the Alclad chrome with the pale gold but it didn't look right....BUT! it did work great for 3PO's lower right leg!

·
Curmudgeon
6,630 Posts
Beautiful work Fluke! I've always thought MPC/AMT's R2 kit was one of their best. A few minor modifications, and you have a reasonably accurate R2 at a decent price. I wish I could say the same for C-3PO...unfortunately, I haven't found a good way to get around his egg-shaped, too-big-for-his-body head. But for what they are (not to mention the nostalgia factor), these are pretty good kits, and you've certainly done them justice!

One of these days I gotta get me an airbrush so I can start using Alclad's products...

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rob! :p

I did my best to thin out 3P0's face and did as much additions and subtractions as could.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!......Fluke, you're making me crazy! First The Spindrift and now THIS. As soon as I build something that I think looks decent, you hafta go and post YOUR latest project and then I look at mine again and it looks like I built it with my feet :p . I can't STAND it anymore! If you weren't such an asset to this hobby, I'd have to hate you :D !!!

Seriously, beautiful job (as usual).

Model on Garth!

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awh shucks!

Dude! I have seen some of your work :thumbsup: ...now stop that and get off your knees!

Party on wayne!

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you feel that nobody loves you,

Nobody cares for you,

And everyone is ignoring you,

You should start asking yourself...

Am I TOO sexy?

:lol:

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and I always say.....WHRARFF!!!!!

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Howdy spacecraftguy! :wave:

Thats was the first thing that I noticed was that funky wedge shaped white plastic disc that goes between the dome and the body, So I sanded that vertical and then got rid of those two lower 'ridges' or 'lips' at the bottom of the dome. ( now all the parts are even ) then I made up the anodized blue ring. So now there are three parts in order from top to bottom:

1. the dome.
2. the thin blue spacer.
3. the thicker aluminum spacer.

All pre painted then attatched later NO MASKING!

The clear blue insert kit part for R2's dome was cut into sections ( for easier work ) and was painted before it was inserted into place.

I hope that answers your question?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sure did!

I did a variation on your method - I vac-formed a new dome, cut holes in it for the panels, cut the panels apart and glued them into the dome, then glued a sheet styrene disk into the bottom of the dome to replace the funky kit version that has that angle cut in it.

I have to say that your R2-D2 looks really great -superb work!

I tried to fix the C-3PO head - filled in the triangular hole in the face, tried to modify the eyes. It came out a little better that the stock kit, but wound up finding one of the talking C-3PO pens that Tiger made a few years back, and cut the head off the pen and used that. Looks a lot better.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
C3P0 pen head huh?.....I would like to see how that worked!

I'm glad I could help!

May the farce be with you....always.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts