Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen a lot on the gun in ST V.
but i wonder has any one made a model of the gun in the first star trek{TOS}
which was shown in the 2 part ep. where spock takes capt. pike.
back to the off limits planet.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Playmates also made one, though it's a bit small. (Like most of what they made; either too big or too small.)

There are a few pieces out there that are molded from one of (If not the only remaining) original screen-used lasers.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Funny thing, I recall when I saw 'The Cage' (it was the B&W print at one of Roddenberry's 'needs me some money' talks) I felt impressed with the design and I liked the practical aspects, when Number One was resetting one for..I think it was self destruct. Years later I see pics of the prop and man, it just did not look as cool as it seemed on screen! (via 3rd gen B&W 16mm film dupe, of course :) )

I think mainly it's the grip. The rounded nature of it makes it seem toy-like. For some reason to my eyes it just doesn't have the same 'design sense' as the main barrel.

but then again, it was designed to hang off a silver painted combat harness under a heavy coat. A certain lack of elegance might be expected and forgiven. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ah Ha! Finally something here I know about! The Roddenberry.com is nice but inaccurate and way oversized. I actually have one cast off of an original (it was cast by Master Replicas as a prototype and later was going to be offered by EFX). I have a kit that is far more accurate than the Rodd.com including extending barrel. Correct size and dims and matches up very very nicely to the screen used.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Images?
Price?
Ordering Details?...
...it was cast by Master Replicas as a prototype and later was going to be offered by EFX...
Onigiri's post was edited, so I don't know what text was altered or if the image was added after your post. (Although the timestamp for his edit was before your post.)

(Bold italic was added by me for emphasis.)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The two rectangles on the left side of the laser are magnets that they used to attach the pistol to the gear harness, no Velcro there. The laser's handle has a flat bottom because it is was suppose to be able to stand up and balance on the handle. I have never figured out why GR wanted it to be able to do that, but there must have been a reason.

David.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I took a crack at this myself a few years ago because nobody was offering a good replica or kit at the time. Here is my attempt:

Album:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157601817185376/

-Mark
Nice, I like how you held your barrel on. Do you have a light in the barrel like in the show? I have seen a photo of "The Cage" laser with a Phillips screw on the bottom at the base of the barrel. This leaves me to believe that the barrel was held on by the screw with a slot on the inner barrel so that it could extend.

David.

·
Starship Class
12,152 Posts
Does anyone have the actual dimensions on the laser pistol? I've seen some measurements from fan made blueprints but they don't seem right for some reason. If the roddenberry.com kit is way oversized, it seems that perhaps the blueprints I've seen are oversized as well--which they seemed to be when I started working out the sizes on the components involved.

·
Starship Class
12,152 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts