Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,166 Posts
Remember, the "full size" shuttlecraft prop in the series was built at 3/4 scale to save stage space. So the 22-foot prop is meant to convey the illusion of a 29+ foot long "real" shuttlecraft. Kirk's 24-foot comment needs to be ignored (or rationalized away) like a lot of other stuff in the show. This is why Gary Kerr's pans for the Polar Lights model give us a 29-foot ship at 1/32 scale, about 11 inches long.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Went with dark red enamel paint for inside the impulse engine holes.
And didn't want to waste an entire sheet of decal film for the rear registry number so just used one of the plain paper test prints and glued it on.

I have some little blocks I'm putting under the back ends of the nacelles, that PLA strut will eventually bend with all the weight of the model on it, it may be a fairly hard and brittle plastic but it does deform under stress over time.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah, 22 feet is the size I was comparing to. To replicate exterior shots 1:25th scale figures wouldn't look too big next to it, 1:32 figures might look a little small. Scale is a mess for this thing no matter what you go with, the full scale prop is still way too small to match the scenes that are supposed to take place inside it, it would need several more feet of head room.
Well, they really messed up the interior if you're trying to scale it. After many hours of inspecting the photos available it looks like all they really did was raise the roof and change the slope of the front wall to compensate. The width and length seem to be the same as the exterior. When I was scratch-building my 1/32 model years ago, I found a still that was shot from the tiny engineering compartment looking forward and when I duplicated the shot with 1/32 scale figures in the seats the proportions were perfect except the ceiling was too high in the still. Unfortunately, when I went to look for my photo a few years back, it was no longer on my hard drive. Though the model is still not finished, I can't duplicate the photo as I've glued the aft walls in place. This is the big problem with trying rectify the design - The interior was not scaled up, just the ceiling lifted. I've never understood why people insist the interior must be correct, as the only reason they did it that way was to get the huge cameras into the shuttle set even with its wild walls. There's no need for the 6' tall Nimoy to stand completely erect but because he could, he did. I see this as the futuristic version of an Econoline van or a bush plane. You can't stand erect in either, but that's no problem because normally you're seated for the majority of the flight.

That's why Round 2's supposedly 1/32 shuttle will be scaling out to 29-30 or so feet. They're using an elastic ruler and a non-Euclidean calculator.

·
Starship Class
11,676 Posts
I agree completely. I'm thinking of using 1/24th scale figures for the R2 shuttlecraft coming out as well. I'm so used to seeing the actors with the exterior version that it just "looks right" to me at that scale.

Yeah, 22 feet is the size I was comparing to. To replicate exterior shots 1:25th scale figures wouldn't look too big next to it, 1:32 figures might look a little small. Scale is a mess for this thing no matter what you go with, the full scale prop is still way too small to match the scenes that are supposed to take place inside it, it would need several more feet of head room.

·
Starship Class
11,676 Posts
You nailed it in all respects, Owen. (y)

. . . This is the big problem with trying rectify the design - The interior was not scaled up, just the ceiling lifted. I've never understood why people insist the interior must be correct, as the only reason they did it that way was to get the huge cameras into the shuttle set even with its wild walls. There's no need for the 6' tall Nimoy to stand completely erect but because he could, he did. I see this as the futuristic version of an Econoline van or a bush plane. You can't stand erect in either, but that's no problem because normally you're seated for the majority of the flight.

That's why Round 2's supposedly 1/32 shuttle will be scaling out to 29-30 or so feet. They're using an elastic ruler and a non-Euclidean calculator.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,166 Posts
Well, there wasn't anything arcane about it - Gary simply scaled the 22-foot mockup, which is built as 3/4 scale, up to "full" scale, which is 29 feet 3 inches.

·
Registered
680 Posts
John, that so-called "quote" about the shuttle being 3/4 size is fishy as hell. It cannot be confirmed and comes from a dubious source - the woman who had the shuttlecraft and was trying desperately to sell it told people that Matt Jefferies told her personally. I've heard the full interview by Gene Winfield who built both the exterior and the interior. He doesn't mention this and you'd think he knew!

·
Starship Class
11,676 Posts
I think the practice at the time--and still today in some cases on TV shows and movies--is to build props 3/4 to 9/10ths scale--just cheating a little depending on the shots needed. If you stick to certain angles, it works fine but since the shuttlecraft became a well-used prop in several episodes filmed from all sorts of angles, I've come to regard the live action prop to be the full scale.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,166 Posts
Oh, it's a long-standing tradition. As y'all know, there's no way two living decks and and engine room, a Chariot garage and a space pod drop bay would fit in the Jupiter 2. IIRC correctly, Cameron's giant exterior set of the Titanic was something like 3/4 scale, and the "full sized" Red October in the final scene of that film was subscale as well.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I view certain things as these for what they are - production mistakes. In The Enemy Within at the beginning of the episode, someone forgot to sew on the starfleet insignia on William Shatner's shirt. I belive it was the mini-series Shogun where Richard Chamberlain forgot to remove his wrist watch and it was clearly seen on his wrist. Or more recently on Game Of Thrones where someone left a starbucks coffee cup on the table. Things like a scale problem, I view it as another type of production mistake. If the full size prop is built scaled down I take it what is seen onscreen as 'wrong' and I view what it's suppose to be as 'correct'. As for James Cameron's Titanic, at the time, it was going around the full size ship built was 90% full size. However, he set the record set by stated it was built full size but with small sections removed so it was 90% of the full length.

·
Starship Class
11,676 Posts
One good thing about the size of the coming shuttlecraft model from R2 is that it looks like it will work out pretty well if you want to go with a larger shuttlecraft at 1/32nd (even bigger at 1/35th) or if you want to go with the studio set exterior prop at about 1/25th. Head canon everywhere will rejoice.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Just an FYI I emailed R2 today about when the new Galileo is expected to be released.
This is the response:

"The Galileo shuttle kit is scheduled for a July 2020 release."

Thats just over a month or two away. Lets hope they can stick with that timetable.

·
Starship Class
11,676 Posts
Just an FYI I emailed R2 today about when the new Galileo is expected to be released.
This is the response:

"The Galileo shuttle kit is scheduled for a July 2020 release."

Thats just over a month or two away. Lets hope they can stick with that timetable.
Fingers are crossed (y)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,166 Posts
We know how well scheduled releases work out.
I still have a kit in my 'private warehouse' at Hobby Link Japan that was scheduled for a June 2019 release. o_O

21 - 40 of 41 Posts