Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I know this is a bit off topic to the actual building fourms...but then again, not really.

As you all know from some of my other threads, I've been building the entire fleet of 18"er Constitution Class ships.

While I was doing this, a group of my hobby store customers, "The Kids" were getting me to play Dungeons and Dragons. The D&D games are going well and I decided to dust off my old ST RPG and see if they wanted to try that.

Back in the day, I only got a few of the books as a Christmas present and bought some more afterwards. What I have is the FASA Second Edition set with the Cadet's Orientation Sourcebook, the Game Operations Manual and the Star Fleet Officer's Manual and then The Vanished, The Starfleet Ship's Construction Manual, the Star Fleet Ship's Identification Manual, The Star Fleet Intelligence Manual with Game Op's and Orientation, The Federation Source Book and finally, The Romulans - Star Fleet Intelligence and Game Ops.

I was going to go get some more of these books at a local used book store, only to discover that they went out of business. The Sentry Box, a gaming store in Calgary, might have some, but I wondered if any of you guys that had any would part with them, or could be on the lookout for some at garage sales, etc, and then let me know. (I'm not going to get them from Evil Bay, but I do see that they go for @ $9.00 a piece.)

Anyway, please let me know what you think and I'll get things ready for the game! :D:wave:

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
All my RPG is in CT and I am in CA. I had/have 1st edition (my sympathies to you on that 2nd edition pos, totally destroyed the game play) It sounds like we had some dupes, Rom source, st cnst, the three fleet ID books, but I also had/have the gm screens, merchant traders, Next gen source, St cbt tac str board game, ...uhmm... a couple others that are evading me right now. never went for the adventure modules...

Most of all this stuff is on ebay cheapish. Haven't played in 20yrs but still want to get the tricorder now that it can actually be gotten (usually $15 Iv'e seen). Picked up the "star trek maps" a couple years ago. Highly rec those! LCARS has loads of deckplans, inc the fasa and the Starship Design book with the Belknap ...

And...

If it helps, I rewrote much of the 1st edition ruleset. Let me see if I can post some pdfs here... I would like this effort to go to some use for someone someday. It was playtested with my group back 20yrs ago and worked well. The system generates genuinely good characters, unlike what fasa ever achieved...

Chr sheet is revamped w/ all skills listed in most supplements, doublesided for combat stuff on the back.

InfoNet is a 'generic-ized' service record anyone of appropriate rank can pull to know another characters str and weaknesses. Cpt reading up on crew for example...

Stats and Skills is all stats, inc. 2 or 3 new 'abilities' I created to help game play and definitions of all skills listed on the char sheet

Char Gen is a fully revamped character generation system, incorpoating contact team, awrads and honorifics and all sorts aother stuff. The one thing I didn't finish on this is the 'lifepath' chart which was basically to be a revamp of the cyberpunk 2020 lifepath chart I never got to hammering into place.

One major thing I began, but notes are in CT, was a Psionics book, based similarly off END as far as costs and actions went, included combat and all tehcniques of all races demonstrated on TOS and TNG. Got no way to get that stuff now though... :(

Still, what is attached below is significant and I think you will be impressed with the reslilience of the new system. Don't forget to ebay the books you need! They're cheeaaapp!
Distribute far and wide!

Attachments

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Makes me wish I had d% on me now. :(

Coincidentally, one of my youtubers mentioned the rpg a few weeks ago, so I dug this out and dressed it up. Flipping thru, I did just note a couple typos and spacing errors but it is all logical.

Lemme know if you have any q's, publicly or pm and we can swap email for greater details.

And anyone else out there, please playtest. I think you will be pleased.

P.S. Pug -subscribed!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I ran a game until January 2000.
I added skills to the character sheet, too.
I don't have one to look at, now, but I do remember
what got me started modifying the thing:
I felt there should be a seperate skill rating for Impulse Drive Tech.
Someone may want to specialize in sub-light drive!

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
A simple interstellar (and interplanetary) propulsion skill would have worked. I think 1st Ed. lumped that into the generic ST Eng. 2nd Ed I think went overboard with 'subskills'.

I never really got to play often, just ran for the better part of 10yrs. The last campaign I designed was to be the ISS Excalibur (culminating in the destruction by Daystrom's M5). The group fell apart before I could start that up. Lotsa fun for its' time though.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I liked the Star Trek Video Game "Mirror Universe" (I think it was called) where you, as Sulu on the EXCELSIOR ends up going into the Mirror Universe and fighting all the friends that Kirk made in TOS.

There's a part in the game where you fight the 4 ships that were in the M5 tests. (HOOD, LEXINGTON, EXCALIBUR and POTEMKIN) Only difference is that in this Mirror Universe, Daystrom installed M5's on all the four ships and the ENTERPRISE didn't have the M5. The four ships were running wild and the EXCELSIOR had to destroy them.

MM, those sheets look interesting, esp the "Cool" part. I'll have to print them off and try them sometime.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
MM, those sheets look interesting, esp the "Cool" part. I'll have to print them off and try them sometime.
Please do. Less than one dozen of the 7 billion people in the world have tried them to date, so I'd like some feedback, positive or negative.

I think I must've grabbed Cool from cyberpunk.

The 'Abilities' were a good stroke on my part. As role players, we certainly don't have the stats and/or skills the characters we are performing do, so when in a tight situation that the character should be able to get out of, but the player doesn't necessarily have the wits, the BS Efficiency, Perception and Perseverance came in great use, smoothing game play greatly.

Heck, simply going from 4d10+30 to 3d10+40 really helped the character system immensely! Nevermind my adding the Major and Minoring in a branch, Contact Team and Command School, the Awards and Merits system and so on. These things really gave the system the breath it needed.

Overall, this system creates much more well rounded, in-depth and highly skilled characters. So be warned on that. The 1701 crew is supposed to be the best of the best, well, this creates some highly kick ass characters that could serve alongside them. Otw, the fasa system simply created characters who could never hope to achieve such lofty positions.

One Saturday, maybe present my revised char gen system (et al.) to your group and see what they can do with it in an hour or so.:hat: (Roll up some samples yourself first to see what you are getting! ;) )

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we haven't played ST yet because we're still doing D&D, but I'll try the Fasa way first, then try your system second.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I liked the Star Trek Video Game "Mirror Universe" (I think it was called) where you, as Sulu on the EXCELSIOR ends up going into the Mirror Universe and fighting all the friends that Kirk made in TOS.

There's a part in the game where you fight the 4 ships that were in the M5 tests. (HOOD, LEXINGTON, EXCALIBUR and POTEMKIN) Only difference is that in this Mirror Universe, Daystrom installed M5's on all the four ships and the ENTERPRISE didn't have the M5. The four ships were running wild and the EXCELSIOR had to destroy them.

Late last weekend, I stopped in at EB Games, and found "Star Trek: Shattered Universe" in the used Xbox games bin! Would this be the one you're thinking of, Trevor?

Interesting concepts to the STRPG, MM! I'm not keeping those; I've had both the first and second edtions for many years and there is no one who plays the game in my area that I know of.

Trevor, I might have some modules, etc you could be interested in; finding them is issue right now. Let me know if you're interested in anything.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm interested in everything WCB!

I wanted to get The Klingons in paticular, as well as some of the Starship Identifier books, but I will also need some game modulals. PM me with a list please! :D

Shattered Universe is the one. Wish I bought it for my PS II.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Trevor, try contacting Mike at Intergalactic Trading:
http://www.intergalactictrading.com
I shipped a variety of these FASA books to him awhile back to re-sell for me and he may still have some around.
Tell him Steve Kelley sent you and he should give you a special deal on any he has left of hopefully some of the ones you are looking for.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts