1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From http://www.history.com

2/18/07 @ 9pm EST
Star Trek Tech:

For forty years Star Trek has engulfed our imagination and sent us on voyages across the galaxy. We'll take a look at the technology behind the gadgets used in the series such as phasers and communicators, and tell their stories from the people who knew them best--the actors, producers and prop men.

2/19/07 @ 9pm EST
Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier:
For forty years Star Trek has engrossed our imaginations and sent us on voyages across the galaxy. Through ten films and five series this entertainment juggernaut has become a pop culture icon and a window to our society. We will look at the impact that Star Trek has had on fans around the world. From the conventions in Europe and Las Vegas to the billionaire collector who scours the world for memorabilia, we will try to find out just what it is about this supposedly "silly" series that has meant so much to so many. Leonard Nimoy hosts.

Commercials showed some behind the scene shot of some of the studio models. Thought it was worth sharring.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks Hell Fighter....I won't miss this, but I would of if you wouldn't have told me. I will definitely be streaming this onto my pc. If anybody can't watch it I can mail you a dvd if I have the time. I believe they will be replaying it for next weekend as well. Check the list. Thanks again!

I found out they are also playing How William Shatner Changed the World: Which tells us that a lot of the tech' today came from the ideas of the series...communicators|cell phones computers--> etc. Thats on Tomorrow at 10:00 am centeral and 4:00 I think on the history channel.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Anyone Check this out tonight? I thought it was kind of intresting about how they talked about the possibilities to transport a human. Very informative, I think I will be looking more forward to the one hosted by Nimoy and "how William Shatner changed the world". There on tomorrow.

·
Curmudgeon
6,621 Posts
Star Trek is the perfect example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Gene Roddenberry was very wise in that, among other things, by selecting technology for use in the original series that had potential for real-life applications in man's future, it inspired young viewers to become adults and follow careers in which they would develop that very same technology.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
Star Trek is the perfect example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Gene Roddenberry was very wise in that, among other things, by selecting technology for use in the original series that had potential for real-life applications in man's future, it inspired young viewers to become adults and follow careers in which they would develop that very same technology.
I still think Gene actually was from the future.

·
Registered
717 Posts
"The visions we present to our children shape the future. It matters what those visions are. Often they become self-fulfilling prophecies. Dreams are maps............ Our children long for realistic maps of a future they (and we) can be proud of. Where are the cartographers of human purpose?" -Carl Sagan

Roddenberry was one of those map makers.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier" was very interesting to watch. Just to see all of the Trek props and wardrobe filling up the warehouse was an eye-opener!
Another eye-opener was seeing the final price on the items - I hadn't followed the Christie's auction, so it was a real suprise. Plus it was fun seeing some of the auction winners and what they did with their treasures. All in all an entertaining behind the scenes (and behind the auction) show.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts