Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
jheilman said:
I was very surprised that they kept one obvious error. Even though the command on the Enterprise is repeatedly to fire phasers, the phaser crews keep firing photon torpedoes instead. Tomlinson must have had his honeymoon night on his mind and just kept pushing the wrong buttons. :p
Check the show again when they ready for battle styles reports to kirk "phasers are ready set for proximity blasts"

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
It doesn't air 'til tonight here in the Greater Little Rock area, so I've not seen it yet. They're starting us off with "Balance of Terror" and then "Miri" runs later in the night.

I find it interesting, tho, that some of the people who were complaining about the CGI stuff being added in the first place are some of the same folks complaining that the visuals are the same as the originals! :cool:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
This is what state-of-the-art computer generated special effects
from a major television network looks like?

It was like viewing a video game!

As for the "Phasers", don't you guys know?
Starfleet had these weapons they called Phasers. Then,
someone invented a beam weapon. Starfleet realized that
was truly PHASed Energy Rectification. So, they called
the beam weapon "Phaser" and the old pulse weapon was
re-named "Photon Torpedo". ;)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Man in 1966: "This is what state-of-the-art model special effects from major television network look like? It was like viewing a televisual entertainment device that uh, is being developed somewhere...?"

Actually, CaptFrank, I don't think there's anything state-of-the-art in particular going on. Also, this isn't a very high-profile, big budget program either. By the way, I had the chance to replay the episode and scrutinized the effects. First....I think I have a crappy TV. I don't know if this bodes ill for whenever I might get to see it at DVD or HD resolution, but I did see some comparisons online. I still think they look pretty good, but from shot to shot, there's room for improvement. Maybe in 10 years there'll be another update. One thing I realized however, is that I've never given the TOS effects this much scrutiny before, and it would suffer the same criticisms, so relative to that, I find little to be disappointed in, personally.

Biggest nit I have is that on my second viewing, I didn't much care for the panelling effect seen in one of the Romulan BoP shots. First time around, I liked the shot, but I hadn't gotten a good look at it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Let Down

I too am writing this before reading all previoius posts.

I'm disapointed; especially after seeing the test shot submitted by the effects house that did Enterprise in their bid to get the gig. That footage, available via link somewhere here in the forum, had CG grit, grain and emulsion added in to a very convincing and sharply defined, shaded, and modeled Enterprise.

The CG E in these two episodes were definitely cartoonish on my 30" inch hotel TV (I'm on a business trip now) and maybe might come across better on my home reference system or DVD ultimately. But it seems like it could have been much better with something more added...

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
idman said:
Check the show again when they ready for battle styles reports to kirk "phasers are ready set for proximity blasts"
Nah, the show was brand new and they were figuring out what the various effects would be. However, it's plain to see that what they call phasers here became photon torpedoes (complete with sound FX) later. They could have remedied this continuity issue with the remastered version, but the same number of people would have complained that they altered the original. Can't win.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I'll offer my observations as an average non-Trekkie television viewer who heretofore has only watched TOS via syndicated airings on local television stations during the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I watched tonight's episode (Balance of Terror) on a 37-inch HD monitor with Stereo sound. I received the show on digital cable from a local station that broadcasts analog only:

1. If I weren't already aware, it never would have occured to me that the visual effects had been re-done. I mean, it wouldn't have crossed my mind.

2. The audio improvement is obvious. Even if I had no prior knowledge that the show had been re-mastered, the audio would have tipped me immediately that something was up. Again, I'm listening in Stereo. I'm sure 5.1 is even more dramatic.

3. The color seemed extremely over-saturated and the blacks were crushed. Kirk's skin-tone especially looks like he'd been made up for a high school dramatization of "Hiawatha". Too much luminance and saturation.

4. Most noticable, and most disconcerting - there was a strange "ghosting" or "trailing" effect any time an actor engaged in physical movement. I can't even guess at the explanation for this but it was distracting and irritating.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Agree somewhat with the saturation. Agree completely about the blacks. The whole thing was too dark and the shadows really blocked up. The DVD reveals there is more info there. But, now we run into the whole issue of monitor calibration. I think mine is decently calibrated, but I'd hardly call it a reference monitor. So, possibly mine is set too dark? Of course, if that's the case, the TOS DVD transfers are REALLY washed out. :p

I can see what they were trying to do with the FX sequences. They were so afraid of backlash that they opted to copy the original FX with CG. So we get very few changes except better resolution. However, one can argue that the change is so small that we could have lived with them as is. Personally, I would have loved to see hi-res transfers of the original FX scenes. I also have to agree that in a couple shots, the Enterprise looked too CG. It could have used some more dirt, noise, something.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm just wondering if the coloring, brightness, looks awesome in HD and somewhat off in SD....you think that might be part of it?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I didn't get the ghosting when watching Miri last night. BoT is showing right now.

To my eyes the blacks and shadows are just about right. I think we've gotten too used to watching faded prints...I've never seen the TOS colors this vibrant.

I'm surprised that they didn't change the sector maps on the main viewscreen. Considering that Okuda has hinted at some surprises with the F/X in upcoming episodes, this seems like an odd place to leave things intact.

Just saw the Romulan ship, cloaking effect and the plasma weapon. I like.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
After being one of the strongest supporters of the CG makeover and sometimes intentionally trying to push Johns buttons.....:devil: I have to say I'm fairly disappointed. Though I did also say that it may indeed suck.

First let me say, If I were Okuda, I probably wouldn't have taken the job. Because its a loosing battle right from the start. Trek is sooo personal to everyone and what it means to them individually, you'd NEVER please everyone.

I remember that when they were trying to cast the TV movie of the 'Shining', no one wanted Nicholson's role because every actor knew that they would be compared to Nicholson. I think the same here, everyone has their own take on how the new effects compare to the original FX.

I'd like to get out of the way that the editing was HORRIBLE, its like they gave it to a green editing student. I could go into detail here, but this is about the effects.

For me personally, they matched the effects TOO closely. Stars moving when they clearly shouldn't have been and goofy sweeping-in flight paths. I also felt that the lighting was flat and without any drama. Again, matching the shot (lighting in this case) too closely. So I guess that they were successful in mimicing the original effects.

As for the color saturation, I think I've dialed my color down a little bit, I think I'll look into that. But having recently bought the original theatrical Star Wars DVD and compared it to the digitaly remastred version, I feel that they think if they crank up the color saturation, the more the better. For me, watching the more muted colors in the original Star Wars simply seemed more 'natural'.

In the case of the ST effects, I thought (again, it might be my TV but I'm curious to see what others think) that they matched the 'whiteish look' of the Enterprise too much rather than try to do a color more 'correct' to the model. Also, the bussard collector effect seemed just really 'blanded' out. Just a pale pink with a few pops of light rather than the colorful and distsinctive Orange, Red and Blue lights. While the glow on the hull from the Phaser/Photon Torpedo added a little to the effect, the blue 'torpedo' itself lacked the charactor of the 'original' torpedo proper.

I believe that work on some of the fan films (Exeter-yes New Voyages-No) depicts a more realistic view of what the effects COULD have been, and what MIGHT have been had better techniques been available at the time.

So, as I said, since Trek is soooo personal to everyone, I believe that I will continue my own endeavors to make my own realistic replacement CG effects for my own enjoyment.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Zorro said:
. . . there was a strange "ghosting" or "trailing" effect any time an actor engaged in physical movement. I can't even guess at the explanation for this but it was distracting and irritating.
Have you checked the following possibilities:
[IMG-LEFT]http://www.halloweenonlinemagazine.com/sfx/Window_FXvideo_105.jpg[/IMG-LEFT]

1. Your house is haunted
2. Your TV set is haunted
3. You're dead

21 - 40 of 141 Posts