Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd open this up as the first episode is airing today, right? I have it coming on a 1am tomorrow morning. Anyone who watches, post your thoughts and opinions on how it came out, now that you will have seen it. I hope it's good!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
It would also be of interest to note what has been cut out to make room for extra commercials. Also note anything besides the FX sequences that has been reworked. Re-editing scenes, new sound FX, music cues, etc. I know they rerecorded the opening theme, but the trailer implied that ALL the music was being redone to bring it into the digital age.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I heard that all the music has been re-recorded, played note-for-note from the original score sheets with nothing changed except the improvement in sound quality you'd expect with today's digital audio. I wonder, though, if perhaps they've smoothed out some of the more awkward or abrupt music edits where music cues originally recorded for previous episodes were pieced together. Now, if they could only do something about the godawful folk singing in "The Way to Eden"!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
scotpens said:
Now, if they could only do something about the godawful folk singing in "The Way to Eden"!
Maybe they can edit in some newly re-recorded Nimoy ("The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins") or Shatner ("Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds") singing in it's place!

We need to be able to buy these masterpieces in fully digital, state-of-the-art glory!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Here in the Twin Cities, they showed it at 6:00. A few quick impressions. I was surprised at how little they changed of the effects. They pretty much kept the the same angles, including the too small radius in the orbit scenes:

My overall impression was they replaced mediocre '60s effects with mediocre CGI effects.

In terms of what was cut out, the only scene I noticed that was missing was the one between the couple that was going to be married while they were waiting for combat. There were a couple of continuity jumps with characters suddenly changing position and the lights changing.

One thing I noticed was that they didn't change the footage in the closing credits:

Also, they didn't fix all the goofs (Romulus and Romii?):

All in all, although I'm still opposed to the concept of doing this, at least they didn't pull a Lucas and make wholesale changes in shots and pacing.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
We got "Miri" tonight - hopefully we'll have "Balance of Terror" tomorrow - but I liked the redo. It's not at all out of place, but it has a more believable look (Miri's Earth looks like a real planet, not a plastic globe). And my biggest nit to pick from the original series, we no longer have mixed-together shots of the pilot-version 11-footer with the series version.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
El Gato said:
While I was gone my wife stoppped TiVo from recording it so she could watch "Mythbusters". :freak:

*sigh* I guess I'll wait until next week....
I'm glad you got bail. When is your next court appearance?

James :lol:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
BEBruns said:
They pretty much kept the the same angles, including the too small radius in the orbit scenes.
The original stock shots of the Enterprise in orbit were meant to be stylized rather than realistic. If the shots had been done realistically, the Enterprise would be oriented with its bottom, not its side, facing toward the planet's surface — and it would be too tiny to see anyway.
My overall impression was they replaced mediocre '60s effects with mediocre CGI effects.
Well, here's to mediocrity! If it weren't for mediocrity, we would have no way of knowing what's excellent — and what's crap! :p
In terms of what was cut out, the only scene I noticed that was missing was the one between the couple that was going to be married while they were waiting for combat.
Maybe just as well, since Scotty is seen adjusting an obvious 20th-century camera lens in that scene. Or did they leave that part in?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I thought it was pretty good, they actually tweaked it less than I expected. I liked the shots of the Enterprise firing the phaser volleys, it looked a lot more 'real' with the reflections on the hull. Didn't get any benefit from the HD makeover, the affiliate that carried it here has a horrible signal even on digital cable and the picture was pretty soft.

Good episode, Mark Lenard was pretty memorable.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
scotpens said:
The original stock shots of the Enterprise in orbit were meant to be stylized rather than realistic.
Thanks for setting the record straight.

Correct if I'm wrong BEBruns, but I gather the point of your earlier post was to provide a yard-stick with which to measure conceptual (as opposed to technical) distinctions between the two versions.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Queued up my DVD for side-by-side comparison. Quite a few cuts. Yes, the dialogue between the engaged couple, but also dialogue on the bridges of both ships, bits in the briefing room, etc. And possibly the worst cut of all is the intro to the exchange between Kirk and McCoy in his quarters before Kirk begins his self-doubt speech similar to Pike's in the Cage. I would have left that intact, but I'm sure it was cut in syndication many times over many years.

Overall, this Trek has better color range, but is quite a bit darker. It does appear more film-like. I don't have any of my VHS copies left, but I did a similar comparison between them and the DVDs a while back. At that time, I thought the new DVD transfers seemed contrasty and less film-like, so we have moved back towards the film direction with greater resolution.

I too was surprised how much the new FX sequences duplicated the originals. There are certainly some areas I would have made improvements. I was very surprised that they kept one obvious error. Even though the command on the Enterprise is repeatedly to fire phasers, the phaser crews keep firing photon torpedoes instead. Tomlinson must have had his honeymoon night on his mind and just kept pushing the wrong buttons. :p

·
Registered
271 Posts
As far as the redone FX stuff goes, my first impression is similar to one already posted.

I think in this day and age where viewers are spoiled by realistic CGI of BSG or even Firefly, the new Enterprise shots just don't hold up.

The mediocre visual effects of the 60's actually seemed to add character and weathered looks to the ship, and the CGI is a bit of a let down.

I loved the concept, I actually thought of the same thing a few years back. The possibilites for redoing the visual effects for the old trek was limitless, but what I saw seemed more prototypical than finished. Maybe they were under budget constraints.

As for the cuts, I think they aired what are the 40 minute cut versions to accomodate the 20 minutes of commercial breaks vs. the 10 minutes in the 60s. Another letdown, but I'm sure the full 50 minute versions will be available in the DVD release!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
later tonight ,maybe

suppose to be on in a few minutes, thing is were under a tornado watch and T Storm heading our way, nothing like constant interruptions.)-:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well after have review the EFX shots in Miri after the episode was over, I have to say I'm not all that impressed, I mean if you are going through the trouble to re-do the effects I think they could have stepped it up a bit. The colors in the original footage did seem a bit more "film like" but overall I can't say I am over the top impressed...maybe after I see Balance or the Doomsday Machine.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm writing my review before reading the others. I just got done watching.

First of all, the effects were MUCH more true to the original than many might have expected. I sort of had a clue they were leaning that way, but it was still interesting. I haven't seen this episode in awhile so I'll avoid comparing the two specifically. I thought the quality of the effects overall was very very good. I was only watching in standard definition, but it was easily the some of the best TOS style CG work I've seen. There was one shot of the ship adrift that was a little smooth, but still very nice. I thought the phaser effects were very cool. The reflection off the hull when firing is probably what stood out most of all the effects. I liked it a lot and had no problem with it. As opposed to some here, I wouldn't have minded if flightlines and camera moves were straightened up, smoothed out, but neither can I complain that they didn't do that here. I thought, overall, excellent work. Most impressive.

Now having read some other reviews, I should point out that I'm evaluating it based on trying to make the effects look similar to the original ones but cleaner. It would be a different story if the goal was to create the most amazing looking effects around, or on television.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts