Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to simulate the startup lighting sequence of the Refit Enterprise as seen in The Motion Picture. I know there are kits out there but I am a tinkerer and I wanted to learn how to use the Arduino.

I saw this as 2 fold as once I learn how to program the Ardunio I could use this on other projects/ props.

I was turned onto the Arduino after attending a Prop Party and seeing the capability of these things. I am not a programmer but I figured with a bit of reading and modifying other people's code (called sketch for Arduino?) I can get something working (eventually). The costs and size of these boards are also very attractive.

Well after a bit of a learning curve I did manage to get an Arduino to match the start up lighting sequence.

A few notes.
I used the Arduino Nano because it had the number of outputs I needed (Ten) for the start up sequence
The Arduino Nano is supposed to be discontinued but they are still available on auction sites.
The Arduino board is relatively inexpensive (Under $10)

7 LEDs that turn on
1 LED fade on for the front dish
1 LED navigation blinking
1 LED Strobe blinking

The LEDs I have are 3.3-3.5VDC 20mA15000-20000mcd
Resistors measures approx 460ohms

Voltage = 4.5VDC wall plug (but can use battery pack if needed)

Note
So far I have only one LED per output. I have not yet tried out multiple LEDs per output as would be needed in a model.

Next
Try and get a sound board to communicate with the Arduino to play sounds on demand. Frustratingly working through that now.
I want to take the audio portion of the movie and play it at the same time as the start up lighting

·
Registered
557 Posts
Nice work.

Micro controllers like the Arduinos make lighting so much easier especially when there is dimming and flashing that has to be done.

If you cannot get the Arduino to power all your LEDs directly, try using a ULN2003.
It is a very simple device containing 7 Darlington driver transistors. It can be directly connected to up to 7 output pins on your Arduino and will drive multiple LEDs per transistor, without putting any load on the Arduinos outputs. It will easily drive 25+ LEDs.

Alien

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Nice work Styrofoam_Guy.....:thumbsup: I use Arduino for all my lighting needs, they are small and easy to code. I use the "Pro-Mini", at under $2.00 with free shipping or for smaller spaces, I go with the
Pololu "A-Star 32U4 Micro, a bit more expansive but measuring only 1″ × 0.6″ with built-in USB port, it's perfect for very small builds. I agree with Alien's suggestion of using a ULN2003 to drive your LEDs,
also look at the ULN2803 if you need eight drivers per package. Again, love your work, keep posting.....

Pro Mini Enhancement ATMEGA328P 5V 16MHz Compatible to Arduino PRO mini
FTDI FT232RL USB to Serial IC Basic Breakout Board For Arduino 3.3V 5.5V Top | eBay
https://www.pololu.com/product/3101
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/uln2803a.pdf

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alien/ Teslabe Thanks for the info on the ULN2003. I will have to get some to play with. Nice to know there is a solution if I run into problems.

Teslbe: That Pro-Mini also looks quite attractive. And I thought the nano was a nice size to put into models and props.

It seems like the limits are your imagination.

Now I want to add lights and sound for the photon torpedoes and maybe impulse and warp engine lights and sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts