Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Qtan and I were at the PlanetXpo’s STAR TREK 40 th Anniversary Gala Celebration & Conference in Seattle today and man what a show! We saw two teasers for the upcoming mini series called OF GODS and Men....with an intro by Tim Russ & Nichelle Nichols! and were joined on stage by co stars 'Capatain' Alan Ruck, Crystal Allen, Gary Graham, Walter Koenig and Jg Hertzler. It looked AWESOME!!!

George Takei spoke for one hour and Walter Koenig spoke a bit before showing a episode form the fan based The New Voyages "To serve all my days" staring Mr. Koenig.

It was very interesting to say the least.

There was also talk about the new film based on Kirk and Spock during thier academy days with Matt Damon as a younger James T. Kirk.

STAR TREK LIVES!!!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Sounds like fun, Troy! Is this "Star Trek - Of Gods and Men" going to be a movie or was it just the name of the event? I'm a bit confused...?

F91 said:
Thanks for the invite , TROY!!!!!
You never want to go anywhere anyhow, Rich!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Rich....it wuz a last minute kinda thang.

Funny thing iz ...they always mentioned these projects like we already knew what they were......I'm sure they said 'Of Gods and Men' is a three part movie....not sure if its a network release or straight to DVD? The date at the end of one trailer said Dec 2006. All I do know that it makes up for 'Enterpise' and the last few ST films! It had a serious Rath of Khan feel and look!

In the opening of the second trialer in text it said "What if Captain Kirk never existed" The Enterprise had red edges and the Federation was not so warm and fuzzy and was chasing a band of rebles - Nichelle Nichols, Walter and Tim Russ -to name a few, the Enterprise also had a Klingon officer and a hot blond gal who looked to have Borg implants?....it was COOL and loaded with action!

·
Registered
606 Posts
It will be a web-distributed fan movie. It's being made in conjunction with the same people who do "New Voyages", who'll be providing the use of their sets, and technical support.

Paramount has an "as long as you aren't making money off it" understanding with fan film producers. which boils down to, "Do your films, enjoy, but if you try to steal our profits, we'll see you in court." (Actually, it's a lot more complex, from what I understand, but that's the Reader's Digest version.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its funny that you mention that....at the show yesterday some of the TOS Actors had a few things to say about Paramount but they bit thier tonge's...it was amusing.

Paramount can bite my ^%$#! If Mr. Roddenberry was still with us and involved with ST I can't help but feel things would be much different and WE the fans would be getting a better product.

Now I hear that Matt Damon may be playing a younger Kirk?!.....I give up! ....I sure wish they would bring in an unknown for that role....it worked very well in Superman, but I guess I can understand...after the last few films they do not want to take chances....hell Sean Connery can play kirk but if the story SUCKS it will still dive.

OH please!!! Either bring STAR TREK back to life or let it be a great part of Sci-Fi history and let it rest in peace!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Troy, I thought Brandon Routh was great in Superman, but the box office was pretty bad considering. Star Trek can't take that chance any more. BTW, Matt Damon was very good in Syriana.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
fluke said:
Paramount can bite my ^%$#! If Mr. Roddenberry was still with us and involved with ST I can't help but feel things would be much different and WE the fans would be getting a better product.
Did you watch the first two seasons of TNG? :freak:

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was speaking of the material AFTER TNG but mostly the later FILMS. Now when I watch TNG I like it more than I did when it first aired....so yes I watched it religiously but lets not quibble over kibbles.....Star Trek no matter what season, show or Film is great and will always for me stand for the HEART of what Mr. Roddenberry tried to convey...not the ships, phasers or the actors.

"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other. And all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up - man, we're going to be something!"

Gene Roddenberry.

The man was simply before his time, a thinker and a genius!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
fluke said:
The man was simply before his time, a thinker and a genius!
Can't argue with that. He was a great idea guy and producer. Unfortunately, my feeling is that when he got too "hands-on" the quality of the product suffered, with a few exceptions like CotEoF and WNMHGB. TNG's quality went way up when he started taking a more "back seat" role.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,161 Posts
F91 said:
Interesting, but ultimately irrelevant, I think you would agree.
I do not.
It depends on what age he's supposed to be playing Kirk, of course - if it's the rumored Starfleet Academy days, he should look 18 or 20 years old. Can Damon play young Kirk at 20 when he's 36, and looks older than Shatner did during the series?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Personally, I don't think Damon "looks" older than Kirk did during the series, but that's purely subjective. The people that end up complaining about this are the same guys that don't want anything in Trek changed, past or present....;)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting the return of Kirk and Spock and the fact that Matt Damon may play Kirk doesn't fuss me at all. I'd get quite a charge out of him getting the exotic space babe and saying to a klingon commander "how do you like them apples?"

I am prepared for certain changes in the way that era of Trek will be presented, although I do confess that I hope that the hemlines of the ladies' skirts are reminiscent of the original series and don't reflect today's conservative and politically correct views. What a nice way to express a devilish thought! :devil:

Huzz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts