Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since TOS first appeared on my tiny B&W TV screen, I have wondered how they controlled the roll, pitch, and yaw attitude of the ship. There are no attitude reaction control jets (and they would have to be QUITE large), and no flywheels depicted in any cutaway drawings, nor any mention of how the heck they maneuvered this thing.

Any ideas?

Tom

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
It's never specified. It was part of the philosophy of not getting too bogged in minutia. It wasn't necessary to say "set an orbit at 20,000 miles above mean sea level" when "standard Orbit, Mr. Sulu" did the job.

While they are not shown nor mentioned it's logical to believe there are reaction control thrusters and verniers spaced at logical movement/momentum points. There could be steerable nozzles at the impulse exhaust which could account for gross maneuvering. For more fine motion, again, thrusters.

Another possibility would be reactionless. Given the control of gravity as seen in the show, it's entirely possible that varied gravitic pulses 'warp' the direction of travel. This is again never actually mentioned as such, and it would be questionable for the times the Enterprise or a sister ship moved about with the main power offline.

(then again, the interior gravity never goes out...because THAT would have been impossible to deal with in '60s TV production terms! :) )

There is no obvious place for these visible, of course. Any added detail of that nature would be called non-canon.

How did they maneuver that thing? They just did. No biggie. Don't get worked up over it, just roll with it. :)

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Linear accelerators throwing small pellets of nuetronium spaced all around the primary hull rim (3 each X,Y,Z axis).

The slugs are thrown out at high speed creating a reaction thrust, the slugs are transported 1 foot away from the hull back to the
linear accelerator to be used again.

It seems to violate the conservation of energy laws, but the matter/anitmatter reactors produce enough magic to allow everything to balance out in the end.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Linear accelerators throwing small pellets of nuetronium spaced all around the primary hull rim (3 each X,Y,Z axis).

The slugs are thrown out at high speed creating a reaction thrust, the slugs are transported 1 foot away from the hull back to the
linear accelerator to be used again.

It seems to violate the conservation of energy laws, but the matter/anitmatter reactors produce enough magic to allow everything to balance out in the end.
*pffft* you forgot the ring of collapsed nickle gyros at the c/g point. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
They have the ability to create and manipulate gravity. Seems like it would be trivial.

The visible thrusters on later ships were actually pretty archaic.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'll explain this only this one more time, and then I'm done with it.

Roll: Erradigaphnic Cosmoquangers herb into themselves, thus creating the desired angle, to port or starboard, of the heated angrillarthic mytosomes. When they cool, which is nearly instantaneous, the negative pressure created conclibglides against all of the normal sibbons, making the ship roll.

Yaw: Same as Roll, except sideways.

Pitch: What you do with a baseball. 3 Strikes and you're estromified. Oh-- sorry. Make that EXtromified.

Scott

Reactions: Paulbo

·
Oxidation Genius
31,357 Posts
^But they've had problems with the cosmoquangers ever since they sent the ship out to glominated and framminized.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
*pffft* you forgot the ring of collapsed nickle gyros at the c/g point. :)
Well, those were removed in the refit after Pike's mission, before Kirk took command.
They were replaced with virtual 3 axis gravity ring generators. These took up much less space than the nickle gyros allowing for more crew/labs to be installed. :laugh:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,357 Posts
Anyhoo, in my tiny little adolescent mind, directional changes were done by either magnetics, gravitics, or gyros. The hull was skinned in a uniform, seamless coat that was, maybe, "grown" on, or welded at a molecular level so seams didn't show.

The TMP refit ruined all that magic.

·
Registered
695 Posts
See, you have to quantify Inverse Reactive Current. In Unilateral Phase Detractors, the Retro Incabulator creates the necessary action. Being Reactive, of course. See, the Modial Interaction of Magneto Reluctance and Capacitive Diractance is the result of Prefamulated Amulite. This consists of 6 Hydrocoptic Marsal Veins, fitted to the Abithasian Lunar-Wein shaft, so that side-fumbling is eliminated. Thus, force is directed as needed.

The windings are of the Lotus-O'Deltoid type, placed in Pan-endermic, semi-Boloid slots of the Stator. The Differential Girdle Spring connected to the non-reversible, Drawn-reciprocation Dingle Arm is the primary adjustable component. This is to reduce Sino-Soyal Deplaneration.

I hope this helps! :tongue:

Doug

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
See, you have to quantify Inverse Reactive Current. In Unilateral Phase Detractors, the Retro Incabulator creates the necessary action. Being Reactive, of course. See, the Modial Interaction of Magneto Reluctance and Capacitive Diractance is the result of Prefamulated Amulite. This consists of 6 Hydrocoptic Marsal Veins, fitted to the Abithasian Lunar-Wein shaft, so that side-fumbling is eliminated. Thus, force is directed as needed.

The windings are of the Lotus-O'Deltoid type, placed in Pan-endermic, semi-Boloid slots of the Stator. The Differential Girdle Spring connected to the non-reversible, Drawn-reciprocation Dingle Arm is the primary adjustable component. This is to reduce Sino-Soyal Deplaneration.

I hope this helps! :tongue:

Doug
Wow! Here I thought they just changed the direction the camera was moving to make the ship look like it was turning.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts