Hobbyist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
364 Posts
I never liked the Voyager either; looked like a shoe with warp engines. :) But that's the point; you're never going to please everyone and some people will love this design and some hate it (and for many who hate it, it will grow on them after a few years). The same people complaining about the VFX in the teaser would be complaining that they had nothing to show had they not shown anything. If you look at the teaser, details like windows and things are clearly pretty rough and blunt; I have no doubt the finished effects will be far superior, particularly on a 13-episode series. What I'm interested in seeing is how this show measures up to "peak television"--the original series was as good as anything on the air at the time. The other shows, while all of them had strong installments, I don't think were on the cutting edge of TV in terms of drama for the most part. That's going to be a big challenge.

· Registered
695 Posts
I never liked the Voyager either; looked like a shoe with warp engines. :)
(Spits a mouthful of grape soda everywhere, just missing my laptop...some came out my nose, too...)

BWAAAHHH hahaha! A hahaa! A SHOE! Jeff! That's...hysterical! OMG! I haven't laughed that hard in...years! -Gasping for breath- Thank you! I needed that!

Man. I will never look at that ship the same! It's true! And that never occurred to me. I akways loved the sleek design...but a SHOE! It really does! :lol:

Doug

· Registered
5,787 Posts
I never liked the Voyager either; looked like a shoe with warp engines. :) But that's the point; you're never going to please everyone and some people will love this design and some hate it (and for many who hate it, it will grow on them after a few years). The same people complaining about the VFX in the teaser would be complaining that they had nothing to show had they not shown anything. If you look at the teaser, details like windows and things are clearly pretty rough and blunt; I have no doubt the finished effects will be far superior, particularly on a 13-episode series. What I'm interested in seeing is how this show measures up to "peak television"--the original series was as good as anything on the air at the time. The other shows, while all of them had strong installments, I don't think were on the cutting edge of TV in terms of drama for the most part. That's going to be a big challenge.
And this is the thing I keep harping about in other places. OK, nice, show a rough animatic or pre-vis of the ship, cool. Now let's see some cast, let's see some writer's names, let's see some costuming, let's see that there's something to hang on to.

With a launch of next year, and even if not until Sept. 2017, they still should be ramping up. Sets being designed and constructed. Costumes, same. Props. Actors cast. Writers pitching stories. Heck, a series bible needs to be written.

Lots of work needs to be done and if they want to do the BEST job they shouldn't wait until, say, December before starting all this process.

But then again. You can't design costumes until you have a grasp on what the series is going to be and actors cast. Right now the show is nothing more than an 'elevator pitch' and not even an outline.

I wonder if they're going to follow the JJ mandate of "don't reference Original Trek or you're fired!!"* or be more flexible.

*note: I know that's a kind of blanket statement and obviously it's a variable because, you know, Carol Marcus and Kahn and blahblah, but it seems it was pretty hard line on that first movie.

· Registered
566 Posts
I never liked the Voyager either; looked like a shoe with warp engines. :)
I always think 'upside down spoon,' but you're not wrong. My complaint about Voyager, and all the TNG era ships, is all the Sternbach details that clutter up the curves and lines -- the phaser emitters, the lifeboat hatches, the transporter whatevers. I like that there are functional details, but I'd prefer them to be more subtle so they blend in until you really get close.

What I'm interested in seeing is how this show measures up to "peak television"--the original series was as good as anything on the air at the time. The other shows, while all of them had strong installments, I don't think were on the cutting edge of TV in terms of drama for the most part. That's going to be a big challenge.
This. We're in a new TV "golden age." Right now, all the creative juice in the industry is in TV. Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Walking Dead. I want Trek to be true to its roots, but also to be relevant, surprising and to evolve. With both Star Trek and (sadly) Star Wars, fans get really conservative and protective about what "is" and "is not" acceptable in those franchises. First and foremost the show should be top notch drama. The ship's design is way down my list of priorities.

· Curmudgeon
6,527 Posts
Good grief! Tough crowd! If they think Voyager sucks...I guess that says it all....

Doug
I'll do you one better--I don't really care for ANY of the ships from the Next Generation era except for the Klingon ships. But then, I don't think much of The Next Generation, and hated what little I saw of Deep Space Nine and Voyager, so... :D

· Registered
364 Posts
BTW the new show exists as more than a bible--from what I understand the entire arc of the first season is planned out, if not actually all generated as teleplays. But for example I don't think it makes any sense to talk about the characters until they've been cast. You could describe James T. Kirk (or Robert April) in all the detail you wanted, but until you put an actor like Shatner in the role you really don't have any sense of what that character is going to be. I do expect that these details will be settled soon, but I don't fault them for rushing to get them in place just because Comic Con was happening.

· Registered
1,709 Posts
Given that it was Roddenberry's intention from the beginning to have a social agenda, I think planning for it from the beginning is part of the Trek formula.
That was a much different era for television. That formula would be a tired and trite one today and a sure fire way to get a show canceled fast. Just stick to good stories, and leave the commentary to the commentators, period.

I'll do you one better--I don't really care for ANY of the ships from the Next Generation era except for the Klingon ships. But then, I don't think much of The Next Generation, and hated what little I saw of Deep Space Nine and Voyager, so... :D
I could have said exactly the same thing! Although the ship designs are not that critical to me, I don't much care for any of the ships of that era. But the shows themselves were all duds to me, particularly Voyager and DS9, what little I saw of them! Now, Enterprise I did really like for the most part. And Enterprise had the coolest title sequence of all since TOS!

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Started re-watching TOS on Netflix with the new effects. Those are pretty good. But what has impressed me the most is the quality of the writing and the character development! Both salt creature (forgot its name) and Charlie X go straight into the relationships as if they had been around a while! Though, the conversation between Uhura and Spock is as though either one had just joined the ship. But, nicely, teasing out details about Spock's emotionless facade and the fact that Vulcan has no moon, which Uhura thought proved her point that Vulcans had no romance or passion! The fact that McCoy was between a rock and a hard place on an emotional level regarding is former par-amour Nancy is something you just don't see in first broadcast episodes anymore. Both The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before were oddly resonant with today's arguments concerning religion, arrogance and elitism!

This is a joy to watch!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.