Hobbyist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
695 Posts
So they're reaching into the discard bin for the new show? Isn't that basically the Ralph McQuarrie Enterprise (complete with asteroid spacedock) from the early pre-pro to Star Trek The Motion Picture?

I mean, OK, fine, whatever, but really?
So! I'm not the only one who saw the Ralph McQuarrie Enterprise in that design! I immediately recognized it. Not my favorite, but hey, I can't make a better one! The one I like is The Icarus! Seen that? Renegades' ship? Now that would be bad ASS!

Aww, but what do I know...

Doug

· Registered
723 Posts
They couldn't show up to San Diego empty handed with it being the 50th and all for Trek.
I think this was hey, this is our ship design we have zeroed in on, and intro'ing the name of the show when the lights turn on to reveal it on the saucer.

So I expect the design will be refined but I do not expect big changes.
I worry more about story content and those things, I am just grateful it is all in the Prime-verse.
So even if you hate the McQuarrie ship, there will be others on the show I'm sure. We always get lots of new ships.

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
The low registry number may mean that the ship has been around for many decades. This *could* mean the seasonal anthology series idea they've discussed will use the same ship in different time periods of the prime universe which is something I''d personally like to see since it would be an interesting departure from most ST series and allow a lot more flexibility in terms of story telling.

So far, however, according to the Wiki entry, we only know that it will be "a single story arc across the entire first season" but that could mean that it's got different characters being concentrated on from season to season but all set within the same time period. I'm hoping they push the envelope on changing things up between seasons.

As for the design, I've always liked it after a fashion. Looks like they took away my main complaint about the McQuarrie design: the nacelles didn't seem to work in the ST universe as originally rendered y McQ. The way they're shown in the video works for me, however.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the USS Frank Lin look of the depressed area on the top of the primary hull.

· Registered
723 Posts
On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the USS Frank Lin look of the depressed area on the top of the primary hull.

My guess is the saucer section may separate different from what we are used to, more of a donut lifeboat sort of shape leaving the central section and bridge attached to the engineering section.

At first I saw that design feature and got worried it was going to be JJ Trek verse and thankfully they mercifully tweeted quickly otherwise.

My hope is they let the usual series suspects that have worked on the shows forever...tweak the ship and refine it into fitting better into the prime-verse ship legacy.

· Starship Class
11,261 Posts
At first I saw that design feature and got worried it was going to be JJ Trek verse and thankfully they mercifully tweeted quickly otherwise.
That design feature seems to be part of the area around the bridge of the Oberth class ships as well.

Yeah, I'm hoping they do some good tweaking. The font is really rubbing me the wrong way right now.

· Registered
566 Posts
Officially they are saying it's "DSC".
They can "officially" give it whatever acronym they want, people are still going to call it STD. If it's an immediate hit, they'll call it that affectionately. If it's a bomb, they'll use it derisively.

When I first saw the article announcing the title, I mistakenly told my wife the show was called "Star Trek Destiny." She responded, "They're giving Star Trek stripper names now? Does the new bridge have a pole?":laugh:

· Registered
4,826 Posts
I don't mind the new ship at that much- not my favorite design but it does look like early Star Fleet. The only things that perplex me about the design is the weird fan grill around the saucer top and the three eyed bussards.
I have the feeling this is the first ship called 'Discovery' (although be may see an NX class on the ancestor wall somewhere). The way they seem to describe the series, I think we will see a number of refit/variations of this ship- a TOS, a TNG, other time periods where they same basic configuration will be about the same but it will reflect the current state of the art of technology in different time periods.

· Registered
5,787 Posts
I will say this much. Given that many feel one of the early Jefferies designs for the TOS Enterprise, the 'ball and cylinders' ship that has generally been retconn'd into canon as the Daedalus class is the predecessor of the Constitution class StarShip, they really dodged a bullet there.

I mean, given the 2001 homage the clip starts with, can you imagine the howls of laughter if the ship, the hero of the show, the first image was that big ol' ball of a primary hull with 'Discovery' plastered on it?

*whew*

(because, see, if they were really going to play around in 'original timeline' it would be logical for that ship to be...ahhhh, you can figure it out. :) )

· Registered
566 Posts
I know it's early but...

Am I the only one who thinks the animation itself looks incredibly phony? It looks like it's full motion video from a ST game 20 years ago.
It does, but I'm not sure how much better it's going to get on a TV budget. This show is going to be expensive. I doubt it'd even rise to the level of TOS-R quality and that's a fairly low bar.

· Registered
222 Posts
The only thing with the design that feels off for me is that the saucer to engineering section relationship is reversed. What is classed as the primary hull? With that much bulk in the lower decks is the saucer even required or just a throw back saying "Oh but it wouldn't be Star Trek (Starfleet design) without a saucer"

Half the FASA designs were better than that and the other half had the same problem

Having said that if the story is there it wouldn't matter as much what it looked like

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.