Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I was just coming here to post about it, I really hope they improve the color scheme, it looks pretty ugly in these early renderings. Not sure about the design either but the bland color scheme might be influencing my opinion too much.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
So they're reaching into the discard bin for the new show? Isn't that basically the Ralph McQuarrie Enterprise (complete with asteroid spacedock) from the early pre-pro to Star Trek The Motion Picture?

I mean, OK, fine, whatever, but really?

·
Registered
439 Posts
So they're reaching into the discard bin for the new show? Isn't that basically the Ralph McQuarrie Enterprise (complete with asteroid spacedock) from the early pre-pro to Star Trek The Motion Picture?

I mean, OK, fine, whatever, but really?
Totally, and uh... pass, this is a fugly Enterprise.
there's a reason it wasn't used for STTMP.
The reason is still valid.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Uh, the ship is the USS Discovery, not the Enterprise.

The more I look at it the less I like it, I doubt that will change with better coloring, I think the nacelles being in line with the lower triangular deck is what makes it look so cheesy, at least the McQuarrie design still had short vertical pylons holding the nacelles, like the Galaxy Class ships ended up being like. Also there are too many straight lines, Federation designs should have curves...

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Nice if they wouldn't charge us to watch it!:mad:

-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah...think I'll keep watching Star Trek Continues...until CBS/Paramount makes them pull the plug, that is. I would have been perfectly fine with CBS giving Vic M. & his crew the budget for Discovery and let them finish out the original 5 year mission.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Given that fans totally lose their $hmit whenever The Force Awakens or Rebels hauled out old McQuarrie designs, can anyone really blame the producers for giving the McQuarrieprise an update? Geek nostalgia, people! It's all about nostalgia these days (Jurassic World, The Force Awakens, etc.etc.), not original ideas. Of course they made the ship the McQuarrieprise, including asteroid cave dry dock. It's an homage, dotcha know. What, you're going to criticize the great McQuarrie?!?! Turn in your geek credentials and 12-sided dice, nerd!

·
Curmudgeon
6,636 Posts
Nexus25 reminding us that the McQuarrieprise appeared in STIII....
Board Message...
"You do not have permission to view this topic."

As for the U.S.S. Discovery, I never thought I'd live to see the day when the NCC-1701-D was the second ugliest Starfleet ship in the Star Trek universe. It's not just ugly, it's Sofa King ugly.

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Fuller Announces New Series Titled ?Star Trek Discovery? Set in Prime Timeline UPDATED ? TrekMovie.com
UDPATES: During the subsequent press interviews producer Heather Kadin exclusively told Trekmovie.com that the design for the U.S.S. Discovery is not final.
Oh wow. Man, you know, I just...

OK. Look. Stuff costs money. All the work that went into that 'teaser', that's money. Design, rendering, animating, that's all money. I know it looks like something cranked out by someone's home computer but it's not, they probably threw a couple of million Dollars at some group to get that.

And THEN they say it's not the final design? What, they're gonna change the color on (what I would believe to be) the impulse engines, or maybe dump the bronze-seeming color, or plate over the 'salad shooter in a wok' upper saucer?

Or just make a whole new ship?

I swear, these people. Do they even know how to make a TV show?

If you wanted to make a teaser clip you could have taken that same background, that asteroid dock, and put the words 'Star Trek' in the slip, and flown THAT out, and people would have gone "coooooool!" and everybody happy.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I love the smell of a good fanboy freakout in the morning. :nerd:

I'll give the show and the ship a chance, because it's way too early to really know anything. The fact that Trek is back on TV is good. The Trek concept works best on TV and I like that they're going to tell new stories with a new crew rather than doing some sort of nostalgia reboot. That said, that the show's acronym is "STD" is hilarious. They were obviously trying to capture Trek's essence of exploration and seeking out new knowledge, but c'mon, producers need to think these things through.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I love the smell of a good fanboy freakout in the morning. :nerd:

I'll give the show and the ship a chance, because it's way too early to really know anything. The fact that Trek is back on TV is good. The Trek concept works best on TV and I like that they're going to tell new stories with a new crew rather than doing some sort of nostalgia reboot. That said, that the show's acronym is "STD" is hilarious. They were obviously trying to capture Trek's essence of exploration and seeking out new knowledge, but c'mon, producers need to think these things through.
It's not a freakout for me so much as just head scratching. Really odd design choice for the ship, followed by that statement "well, it's not final", then, yes, STD is the acronym for the show and geeze, shoot the OTHER foot guys.

And I'm sure I'm not the only fanboy who groaned a bit on that 'sun/planet/object' stacking ala 2001. "geddit, fanboys? DISCOVERY? HUH? Aren't we soooooo clever? huh? SEE?" :)

Did I miss the cast announcements and who is writing for the show and who the showrunner is (we used to just call that guy 'producer' in the old days)? That stuff is kinda important to, you know, actually make a show...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts