Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Rocket Power
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Star Trek
Playing Mantis finally gets a piece of America’s Star Trek obsession into its Johnny Lightning lineup. Six spaceships (all new castings) will appear in November, from the Enterprise used in the first Star Trek feature film to the Galileo shuttle featured in the original television series. Each intricately molded and painted plastic model comes packaged with its own die-cast metal stand. Also included are PhotoCards with live-action stills on the front and Star Trek trivia (including ship statistics) on the back. We’ll introduce six more ships in spring 2005, including the original TV series Enterprise."

Star Trek (November) Item #282-01
Enterprise A New Casting!
Romulean Bird of Prey New Casting!
Cardasian Ship New Casting!
NX01 New Casting!
Reliant New Casting!
Galileo New Casting!

=================================================

Well wantya think of that? I'll love since I'm a big Trek Fan. The prototypes should be at the NY Toy Fair next coming real soon.
I know they are not JL dieccast but I had to say something. Go Polar Lights. Ya ya .. that's another board!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I might pick up a few just cuz the ships look cool, I'm not a huge fan. But my question is...why are the ships plastic and the stands metal? I liked how the planes were all metal with a plastic stand.

Should be cool though...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Porsche911GT3 said:
I might pick up a few just cuz the ships look cool, I'm not a huge fan. But my question is...why are the ships plastic and the stands metal? I liked how the planes were all metal with a plastic stand.

Should be cool though...:thumbsup:
Wonder if Gary is dyslexic?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Oh baby I'm excited!!! "To boldly collect diecast where no one has collected before!!" "Engage number one!!" :thumbsup: Hey I wonder if they'll have white lightnings? :p

---Matty (mattywhelz)

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
I'll honestly say i have never seen an episode of Star Trek. then again i've never seen "The Holy Trilogy" either. I hope they sell well, make $ for new JL castings.

·
Registered
633 Posts
For me, they will be an absolute must have. I've seen all of the originals, the next generation and voyager and I wouldn't miss this set for the world.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Why are they doing these plastic things as JL's instead of Polar Lights??? That's really nasty. If their answer is that these intricate spaceship castings would be too expensive to do in metal (and that may well be true) then sell them as PL, NOT JL! :mad:

PM may reclama that the distinctive of PL is the model kit and these are not kits. But I think we can clearly state the case that the distinctive of JL is diecast and that is the much more important of the two distinctives. (and no, diecast display stands do NOT count)

I guess no lessons were learned from the multi-year peg warming episode of the LIS set...

The benchmark for these toys right now has actualy been set, believe it or not, by Galoob (RIP) in their MircoMachines line.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
But I have the Galoob diecast starships from Starwars and the plastic ships of Starwars and Star Trek and Babylon 5.
I like those ships in diecast and would love to add to my collection but as you say RIP Galoob.
Still if JL is going to go into space with holiwood, I think that it would be very interesting.
There are a lot of ships missing that I would be interested in haveing in diecast.
There is the cartoon, Starblazers and other starwars ships that didn't get put out, like the republican cruser in episode 1.
I think this will be very interesting if PM can pull this off.
I am for it. Just don't forget the cars!
Richard

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't know for sure but someone please correct me if i am wrong. Isn't any material casted by a die diecast? Weather it be diecast metal or diecast plastic they are both diecast.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
ViperMan said:
I don't know for sure but someone please correct me if i am wrong. Isn't any material casted by a die diecast? Weather it be diecast metal or diecast plastic they are both diecast.
Technically correct, but in common usage no. Within the toy car segment of the collecting world, "diecast" has, with common usage over a long period of time, become generally accepted to mean metal, zamac, whatever you want to call it.

There is no better proof of this than to look at e-bay's categories. There is 'Cars/Trucks-Diecast' and there is 'Cars/Trucks-Plastic', etc. Everyone uses these categories without confusion because this distinction is now a part of the common language.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Boldly gone...

Hello,
I was wondering the same thing as PW.

Why not keep the plastic stuff Polar Lights and keep the diecast free from such clutter?
LIS ran though my mind also when I took note of this thread.
Star Trek, aside from great comedy (way before Willaim Shatner ever became a comedeine) never did much for me. I will not be buying any of it personally.
Though I don't doubt for a second this product's success - to Playing Mantis's credit and success (Trekie collectors are very much alive and well in great multitudes with plenty of money to spend), I can't see a shared interest with those folks that collect 1/64 die-cast cars.

·
Registered
758 Posts
PWSchuh said:
Technically correct, but in common usage no. Within the toy car segment of the collecting world, "diecast" has, with common usage over a long period of time, become generally accepted to mean metal, zamac, whatever you want to call it.

There is no better proof of this than to look at e-bay's categories. There is 'Cars/Trucks-Diecast' and there is 'Cars/Trucks-Plastic', etc. Everyone uses these categories without confusion because this distinction is now a part of the common language.
I guess since i collect 1:50 and smaller vipers in metal or plastic I never thought of it as being the accepted term. I allways search for key word viper in the toys category since there are many listed under the slot car section.

On another note I won't be buying these either as they aren't vipers or for that matter cars. Have fun, David

·
2,690 Posts
I imagine these are plastic so they can be molded and painted more accurately and to compete with the amazingly gorgeous sci Fi trading figures coming out of Japan by companies like Konami, Furuta, etc. Take a look at the Thunderbirds or UFO trading figures at http://fabgearusa.com . These things have airbrushed panel details, tiny pilot figures, accurate scale markings, etc.
Never seen any American toys nearly as accurate.
Why go JL instead of PL? They will be blistercarded and rack with JLs. Gotta stick to the Wally World planograms, people.
AT

R

·
0 Posts
Oh, great, now the 2 pegs for JL's at the local Wally World will be 1 for JL and the other Star Trek...

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
How long did the Lost In Space series stick around. These will have a larger following the Lost in Space, but the Trekies have to know they're out there.

R

·
0 Posts
LIS???? What do you mean "How long DID it stick around?""" They're STILL out there warming up the pegs!!!

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
robmcin said:
LIS???? What do you mean "How long DID it stick around?""" They're STILL out there warming up the pegs!!!
I haven't seen them in years, kinda sorry I didn't buy them.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts