Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had asked about this in another post and it sort of got buried so I figured I would give it a thread of its own.

So at this point in my life I am pretty much back to plastic sectional track that I will set up and break down every couple of days.

Had great results in the past with the Greg Braun lap counter software.But I am wondering,is there any kind of app that I can use with my iPad?

If not that,is there any sort of stand alone counter/timer?

I guess I could have googled it,but why bother when I can ask the experts.:thumbsup::wave:

Mike

·
BANNED
8,209 Posts
from a thread on about 3rd page of "general discussions"

"This is a Model Drag Racing Game Changer!!!
How about a complete timing system with a tree and timer tower for HO or 1/32 for less than $90.00 shipped!!! I just saw this posted on Old Weird Herald, a 1/24 Forum. I'm going to order one for my AW drag strip soon and upgrade!! I hope to review it in the summer issue of HORCTC. Here's the link:

http://www.slotcardragon.com/index.html ... "

use the link and find a two lane stand alone timing system that counts laps down from as many as 99.
choose magnet tripped sensors or optical sensors for non-magnet traction cars.
price is fair.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from a thread on about 3rd page of "general discussions"

"This is a Model Drag Racing Game Changer!!!
How about a complete timing system with a tree and timer tower for HO or 1/32 for less than $90.00 shipped!!! I just saw this posted on Old Weird Herald, a 1/24 Forum. I'm going to order one for my AW drag strip soon and upgrade!! I hope to review it in the summer issue of HORCTC. Here's the link:

http://www.slotcardragon.com/index.html ... "

use the link and find a two lane stand alone timing system that counts laps down from as many as 99.
choose magnet tripped sensors or optical sensors for non-magnet traction cars.
price is fair.
Thanks Al.

Looks like exactly what I am looking for.

I will do a little research on it.The price is definetly fair.

Just for the time alone that it would take to build something like that,it would be worth it.

Mike

·
Banned
73 Posts
Whilst both those options are OK, the best bet would be Trackmate hardware and Race coordinator software, in my opinion.

The Trackmate setup is very stable and RC gives you all the options you will ever need.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts

·
Banned
73 Posts
Indeed, but my point is that stand alone is not the best way to go. You have way less options, and it won't be as good as going for a PC-based system. Meanwhile, chuck in using an RCX mBed and the sky is the limit.

Stand-alone systems tend to be two lane, just one of several drawbacks.

By the way, there is no need to quote a post when it is the the one immediately above/below your one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Analog man

The PC is so much a part of my work, my social life, my entertainment, when I go to race my slot cars the last thing I want to see is a monitor.
Like slot cars, I want something thats real, not just a binary string buried in a hard drive.
With the Slot Dragon the kids can play with unsupervised and it does not look gregorious on the track. If fact it looks awesome and draws no more power than an ordinary clock so we leave it on all the time. Its simple, dependable and maintenace free.
However I know I am a little wacked. I open my email and read all my spam, I'm an analog man.

·
BANNED
8,209 Posts
I cannot believe someone who claims to be in England does not know a Monty Python skit when he reads it.
or, is THAT London, West Virginia?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have a 6 lane Trix-Trax, has it's own power source and wires directly
to the dead section. The T-T times laps during practice & counts when racing.
The unit has a 4 digit display controlled by a choice 2 different chips for decimal point location. (timing up to 9.999 for inlines & 99.99 for t-Jets)
The track is a modern sectional but the T-T is mounted in a corner.
My set up is similar to the layout design of the original Aurora tubbies and
the good times I had running on them. :)

·
BANNED
8,209 Posts
Dom, all of John's Trik Trax systems were stand alone custom computers designed for one purpose.
I have had 9 Drag Trax systems and sold them all. two of my close friends still have and use them. wish I hadn't sold all of them. not many current drag systems have two stage staging available. alas, John no longer builds or supports these, he has returned to over the road trucking. he used to refurbish systems for me, long after he stopped making them, but finally stopped that as well. in addition to timing systems he made the best ceramic magnet zappers available, still have one of those. also made nice magnet matchers which still show up on eBay every now and again. I had one of those 6 lane Trik Trax and time sales units, but have since sold them. what a great time it was when all those slot tracks, stores, emporiums were open all around the country.
you have a piece of history.
al

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Al, my unit isn't that old as I got lucky with the timing of purchase.
I had my 1st new T-T unit unused for many years prior to building my
original Tomy layout & sold it to a club member for his layout figuring
a replacement to be a non issue. At that time I planned to purchase a
counter & zapper but only the counter was available due to production being cancelled. Too bad, T-T are great products.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Indeed, but my point is that stand alone is not the best way to go. You have way less options, and it won't be as good as going for a PC-based system. Meanwhile, chuck in using an RCX mBed and the sky is the limit.

Stand-alone systems tend to be two lane, just one of several drawbacks.

By the way, there is no need to quote a post when it is the the one immediately above/below your one.
PC based is certainly the best way to go.But,given my current track limitations,something stand alone that I can set up and break down easily along with the track with minimal hassle is what I need.

Just looking to build some motors now,and need a way to check times.Two lanes is all I need,it will only be me and occasionally my son when he comes over.

Been there done that with the pc systems,with much success.For me to come up with something pc based and actually build and getting it up and running would be too much work at this stage of my life.

Maybe not so much in real life,but with slots,I've lived and learned.

Somewhat anyways.:wave:
Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts