Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Are you thinking about making a diorama of the Desilu Studios Star trek set?
Some 1.35 scale AMT bridge set's involved?

If I can recall a book was published about 10 years ago with a lot of set designs with drawings and pictures that includes card board mockup models of the set.

The book, I do not have for it was at a B&N and I was just browsing.
But someone here must have it.... And that this footnote hopfully jogs a memory for a title and publisher of the book to help you out Chuck.

DLM

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cool! Thanks DL and ZStar!

I have that book!

I just checked it out and it contains a Season one Version of the blueprints.

The link you gave, ZStar, was to a Season Two version of the blueprints.

I didn't even know there was two different sets of blueprints! Now I have both! :)

BTWay, are these the only official blueprints of the Bridge?

Have any of the detailed bridge blueprints that someone had to provide to the stage construction crew survive?

BTWay DL, I've lately become interested in the bridge(and a little interested in the rest of the stage sets too, but right now the bridge).

Someone had sent me a scan of an "original bridge blueprint," which I then realized and have confirmed is just a detail of the Stage 9 blueprint.

Something seems off about the Stage blueprints of the Bridge.

They don't seem to want to divide up into 10 equal slices the way McMaster's Blues do. :confused:

I was thinking of putting together an AMT bridge, but when I started I noticed that the parts of AMT bridge don't fit together properly either.

Though I don't think that has anything to do with the Stage blueprints not quite adding up right.

Are there any other "original" blueprints surviving? Somebody had to drawn them for the crew to have built them. :confused:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
IIRR, there's a scan of a portion of a bridge set construction print shown in this thread . The print was being auctioned on e-bay two or three years ago.
I'll see if I can find the specific page and edit in a reference for it here.

Edit: MGagen's original description of this original blueprint is quoted in post #91. #94 explains why the image was not posted. However, you can see a bit of it overlayed on other diagrams in post #114.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hey ChucK, there are at least three sets of plans for stage nine. I have scans of them and can send you copies if you want.

Phil

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
X15-A2 said:
Hey ChucK, there are at least three sets of plans for stage nine. I have scans of them and can send you copies if you want.

Phil
Yes please! :)

Do you know if there were ever any detailed production Bridge blueprints?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Chuck, there are rumored to be bridge set construction prints, but I've never managed to even talk to anyone that's seen them. The only construction print I've seen is the one I reference earlier in this thread. It does have accurate dimensions on the top view though the profile is preliminary and doesn't match what was ultimately built.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The top view drawing is somehow off too.
Can't tell exactly how it's off but the angles are just not adding up right.

Where the heck are MGagen, Ziz or someone else who has beaten this subject to death and back?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
The top view drawing is somehow off too.
Can't tell exactly how it's off but the angles are just not adding up right.
Back where Mark was posting about this drawing, he commented that it's a "sketch" and only to trust the called out dimensions, that you'd need to carefully redraft it according to the labeled dimensions. Then, the angles may visually add up better. (Or did you mean they don't mathmatically (or trigonometrically) add up based on the call-out dimensions?)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
After a ton of searching on the TrekBBS I found the reason.

Credit to MGagen

Instead of each section making up ten even 36 degree slices, the stage blueprint has the viewscreen section larger(40.5 degrees) then the other 9 slices(35.5 degrees) which are all equal.

See his "bridge analysis" pic about half way down this page:
http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7073191&Main=7049629

Question is, was the original built that way; or can this degree of variance be explained by the fact that this was a sketch mainly meant to show the set's placement on the stage and the overall size?

Was the viewscreen section actually slightly larger?
Is there any way to be sure? Resources that can be counted on to settle the question?

Personally I don't think screengrabs will probably do it, considering lense distortion and the fact that the bridge wasn't filmed from too many angles that lend themselves to reliably translating the views into orthographic views.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Cool! Thanks for the info. And the link, though it means I'm going to spend the next hours reading that thread, its peer there, and some referenced threads ... until my wife insists I turn off the computer and come to bed, anyway. :)

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
ZStar said:
I think the book you are refering to is "Star Trek Sketchbook - The Original Series" by Herbert and Yvonne Solow. It has several pages of photos of the 4' x 4' model of the permanent sets. The model was built by the man himself, Matt Jeffries.

Try the following link to info and stage map:

http://pat.suwalski.net/film/st-stages/stage31.php
Aany idea as to the size of the studio or even the bridge set?
The reason I ask is I've had a few discusions on the correct size of the bridge module on the Excelsior and if knowing the size of TOS bridge set may help to deterimine the size of the Excelsiors bridge.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
uss_columbia said:
Ziz is a rare poster here these days. MGagen seems to surface when his name is mentioned, though. :)

Edit: looks like Ziz last posted on hobbytalk almost a year ago. You can find his Ultimate Bridge model at http://www.zizolfo.com/models/bridge.html. (Pay no attention to the size of his bridge dome and the external tube.)

Rare doesn't mean he won't pop up.

Look at how infrequently Trekkist posts, for example.

Maybe if we say his name three times:

Ziz!
Ziz!
Ziz!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
X15-A2 said:
Chuck & Paul, you have mail!

Enjoy the drawings and feel free to share them with others.

Phil
To repeat my email here,

Thanks a million, Phil!!!

Those are incredible!

There is one, maybe more of the pages that I think Aridas Sofia will be more then a little interested in. I don't know if I have his right email address but I sent him an email nonetheless.

The page with the original detailed contruction drawings of the Briefing Room, Corridors, Corridor Doors, and the Captain's Quarters are incredible!

I especially found interesting how small Yeoman Rand's quarters were. And how they converted the engineering room area into the Gymnasium in Charlie X.

Plus the drawing of the Romulan Bridge stage piece was extremely interesting.

Were these copies of the originals Lincoln Enterprises was selling?

If originals, it looks like these sheets may have worked the same way the film clips they used to sell did.

They apparently raided the set, and sold off these blueprint pages piecemeal(if they are originals).

Once person might get one episodes' plans, another person another episode's Stage plans... etc etc.

Is that how it worked?

If so, there is likely to be original plans floating all over of the place for each and every Trek TOS set ever built.

But good luck putting them all together!

These are definitely gems though!
Once again, thanks a million Phil! :)

Anyone who wants a copy of these, feel free to email me so Phil's good deed of offering me a copy isn't punished by having dozens of email requests.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
irishtrek said:
Any idea as to the size of the studio or even the bridge set?
The reason I ask is I've had a few discusions on the correct size of the bridge module on the Excelsior and if knowing the size of TOS bridge set may help to deterimine the size of the Excelsiors bridge.
Yep. Courtesy of Phil Broad I now do.

According to Phil,

"The length of the stage, measured along the long axis, is 150 feet from outer
wall line to outer wall line. When scaled up to this size, the corridor should be 8 feet wide.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts