Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL, as i get into models from moebius and monarch and such I really want to try and improve my seam work. I am on a weird-ohs kit now where the feet are seperate from the legs and wonder if the squardron is what I should use for this type of seam now. Question#1 when I was on the car side of things I have heard people say this shrinks does it and how do I get around that ? #2 which color the red or green ? #3 can you smooth this with fingernail polish remover ? I also have aves when and on what type of seams would this be used or just to fill gaps? After spiderman I want some more practice in b4 I get to the GG THANKS..

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Squadron shrinks because it's bonding agent is Laquer Thinner. Once the thinner fully evaporates, the Squadron turns to dust.

I would recommend Tamyia filler - the grey stuff.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I use, Aves Apoxie Sculpt,
http://www.avesstudio.com/
I've tried them all and this is the best for me, you'll never need anything else, IMO. Smooths with water, is sculptable for a hour and dries rock hard with extremely little or no shrinkage. Cracks, gaps and full sculpts, it's good stuff.
Rob
Monster Model Review

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS FOR THE INFO ALL i have both of those will try i on i leg and the other on the other leg hey madcap what do you use to smooth out the tamiya THANKS

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I have used the Squadron stuff for years. If you have looked over at my Frankenstein build on the Moebius page, you see it... and also on my 1/350 Seaview build.

Squadron's original putty was their Green formula. The White type came out later and supposedly shrinks less. Both are intended to fill gaps and seams on models, but not really to resculpt or bridge large gaps. For that you would use epoxy putty.

I really liked the tamiya model putty. It was similar to the Squadron stuff but was grey and did not shrink so much, but it was discontinued. That was their old Putty - Basic Type. Supposedly they have a replacement but I have not seen it even imported to the USA now. I miss the old stuff. Something in it caused it be be withdrawn and discontinued at least for USA sales.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have to agree with MCR. The Tamiya Basic really works great for me. I smooth over it with a q-tip dipped in fingernail polish remover. Haven’t had much luck with the Squadron stuff. I do have some Aves on order and am going to give it a try too.

I really liked the tamiya model putty. It was similar to the Squadron stuff but was grey and did not shrink so much, but it was discontinued. That was their old Putty - Basic Type. Supposedly they have a replacement but I have not seen it even imported to the USA now. I miss the old stuff. Something in it caused it be be withdrawn and discontinued at least for USA sales.
:(Discontinued in the US. Now I know why I haven’t been able to find anymore. This makes twice this year that one of my favorite supplies has been taken away.:mad: Guess I’ve got to get more creative.

A.U.

·
Starship Class
11,925 Posts
I use Magic Sculpt ( http://www.sculpt.com/ ) which is a two-part putty for large gaps or sculpting pieces and parts, etc. It is adhesive, sands well, and is very strong.

For small gaps, I use superglue and accelerator and hit it with sandpaper before it gets too hard. (Can be tricky, however.)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
For big gaps or really nasty seams best thing is aves apoxie and for minor seam work use squadron green.:)I use both and all my kits.:dude:

·
Registered
258 Posts
For large gaps and sculpting I use Milliput fine (two part epoxy putty that stays pliable for almost an hour and can be smoothed with water) and Squadron white for small seam work.

This combo seems work well for me. I also use gap-filling super glue for some wider seams that I don't want any shrinkage on from putty.

Cappy D.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANK YOU ALL for the info i will take it into account and let you know the results in a few days thanks again

·
Starship Class
11,925 Posts
For large gaps and sculpting I use Milliput fine (two part epoxy putty that stays pliable for almost an hour and can be smoothed with water) and Squadron white for small seam work.

This combo seems work well for me. I also use gap-filling super glue for some wider seams that I don't want any shrinkage on from putty.

Cappy D.

Magic Sculpt is equivalent to Milliput judging from my experiences with both. I think Magic Sculpt is more reasonably priced but not sure what either are going for $ now.

EVERY time I've used the model putties, I've had shrinkage or the seam has cracked. I've given up on ever using them again with an expectation of a good result.

Another method I use is when gluing pieces together, I am purposely just a wee bit sloppy with the tube glue. I wipe it off promptly, then let the pieces partially dry.

When the joint is somewhat rubbery to somewhat dry, I lightly scrape off any excess plastic with an X-acto knife blade and then sand the joint with a medium fine grit nail file.

When the piece is fully dry, I come back and sand again to fully smooth out the seam with a sanding sponge or sandpaper.

This method is not recommended when you have good detail that you want to keep. However, it works great for Mr. Spock's pants, for example.:wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts