Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spring Cove Speedway

What happened to Spring Cove Speedway, in Killen, Al, does anyone know the current status on this nice outdoor concrete superspeedway, other than there is no racing their now, like who owns it now, and how they could be reached, I would like to know if the track could be leased out and operated again. The last time I was their it was leased by, then, the owners of BSR/Hyperdrive, Mr. Vines and his son, they used it for testing their tires and cars, and had weekly races and a few major ROAR events for a couple of years, but sold their tire and chassis company, and I guess, gave up the lease rights on the track. If anyone has the inside scoop or any information on the current status or any future plans, please reply, thanks.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Chuck and Lyda Sypolt were who opened the track and leased it to Ronnie vines 4 or 5 years ago they still live in the house in front of the track as far as i know you probably could give them a call or Ronnie vines could probably find out for you i would have both numbers but lost cell that they were programed into Eddie what car did you end up with ksg or hyperdrive would be nice to race their but for now Little talladega in henderson is my home away from home maybe we can go fast and turn left like at performance hobby cya soon

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, I just hate to see that track go to waste, that place has a lot of history in R/C racing, I'm glad to hear Chuck and his wife still live there, they are good people. GILYHANTREE, I got a HD Pro2 car, I was hoping to go to Henderson this weekend but a family illness has me staying close to home. So you raced at Performance Hobby in Decatur back in the day, send me a private e-mail and let me know who you are, not good with names but maybe I will remember you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stopped by the Spring Cove International Speedway Sunday on my way home from Little Talladega and talked to Chuck Sypolt for a while and asked if he and his wife would be interested in leasing the track, he said I would have to ask his wife, she was sick and unable to talk to me about it but Chuck gave me their number and told me to call later when she felt better. The facility itself is in rough shape, the roof over the drivers stand recently got blown off in a storm, the track and grounds are all grown up, but the track surface itself isn't to bad, needs a good pressure washing and minor repairs, in the case that they would be willing to lease it and if I could get the help to restore the facility, would any of you racers be interested in returning to this grand ol' speedway????????????

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying to tame the high banks of the cove again. Last couple of times up there I had a blast, a hair puller but still a blast.

Its gonna be a long hard road for whoever tries to re-open the track. Then getting racers to come out on a regular basis.

Daniel

·
Registered
966 Posts
I already have spoken with Chuck. I want to make it the "Hometrack for RAPTOR Motorsports". SpringCove is where RAPTOR Motorsports was born. I got pictures of its current shape. It's not too bad. Nothing we can't handle.
But if you want it Eddie, go ahead and lease it. If not, I'm jumping on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Daniel, I agree it would be hard to get racers to come back, but there is a growing number of us Bama racers and the few times that I have gone to the new track all the way up in Henderson, we were the only ones that showed up there. I think if there was enough interest and if all of the Bama gang worked together it could happen, of course if they are willing to lease it, I will just have to give Mrs. Sypolt time to get better and I will call her and find out. Kenny I cannot do this venture on my own, I think it would be great for RAPTOR Motorsports to have this track as a home track, by all means if you are interested in leasing the track please go for it and let me know how I can help in anyway, lets all of us pull together and do it.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Guys, I'm sure the racers of the GASCAR series would love to hold a yearly event or two there. Nitro pan cars are a blast at the Cove!

We are going over to the SugarBowl for one last nitro run there on June 11th. It is sad to see these fine tracks close.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
yeah its hard to let these old fast tracks go we sure do miss the whip down in florida never did good at sugarbowl but it was a first class facility with great people running it i am in for the cove comeback i could donate some roundup pressure washer to use from time to time i believe spring cove is the oldest paved oval track around so lets see about doing this and getting racers lined up to do some racing a series from different track like rush and son ttown what about montgomery its still their right gas cars would be more than welcome to have big races yall guys get the ball rolling and see what you can come up with sounds like fun

·
Registered
966 Posts
Especially since we are producing a PREDATOR gas car conversion. :)

We got an R & D man working on that as we speak.

RAPTOR Motorsports isn't going anywhere but up!

And it would be too cool to get the Rush family down here to our neck of the woods.... LOL!

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Man, a conversion. There are racers looking for nitro conversions as I type this. Check out the guest posts on the R/C Conference.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
A good test for the PREDATOR gas car conversion would be at the GASCAR race over in the Bowl on JUne 11th!!! There will be about 4-5 different mfg's represented.
Older Bolink & Racetec cars...KSG, Bandit, Hyperdrive & Coyote.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
any time or labor to help do anything at the track i would be happy to devote, a few of us could knock it out fast, got power tools and acess to presure washer their aint no telling what else i can come up with.plus i am the closeest of everybody to the track. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
966 Posts
McLin is our Lead R&D man at this point on the gas car conversion. I'm not into to gas. I'm a voltage boy myself.
Whatever he says goes, he says cut it, I say where....LOL!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Brandon, that's a good idea to have a Southern Oval points series, Spring Cove, Little Talladega, MSA, for sure, I'm not sure what format would work for everyone though, but first we have got to take one step at a time and see what we can do to get the Cove back in action again.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
i just noticed that i left msa out of that mix oops that a good old track to with good folk running it i have been checking into the lap counting thing for whoever wants to get it up and going may be able to work something out with hobbytown or the rc3 club haven't checked yet though robert over at hobbytown might would work something out with us he is a real nice guy

·
Registered
966 Posts
MapQuest says 5 hours. Probably somewhere in the 4 hour range or quicker. You are within our drive. I am thinking of coming to the Southern Nationals 500 (???) race you are holding.
What tires do you mostly run there?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
no its 4 1/2 hours kenny i have been their before but its been a while this is cliffs track right we are planning on attending sometime this year maybe we can bring the rest of the north alabama gang

1 - 20 of 412 Posts