Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this site. This site was recomended my Moebius Models.
I have purchased a Jupiter 2 model by Moebius. I am having trouble
spray painting large areas of the Jupiter 2. I am using Tamiya spary paint. It
does not coat evenly. It looks motled and looks as if it is running on off the surface. I wipe each part to be sure it is clean. Can any one help with this problem. I have the Space Pod and painted it and had no problems.
I would appreciate any help. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Welcome, Wazo. First off, I'll confirm that Tamiya is an excellent choice for paint!
I recommend spraying the hull with grey primer first, and allowing it to dry thoroughly before applying your finish coat of silver.

·
Registered
610 Posts
does not coat evenly. It looks motled and looks as if it is running on off the surface. I wipe each part to be sure it is clean. Can any one help with this problem. I have the Space Pod and painted it and had no problems.
Did you wash the parts before? Sounds like some of the release agent is still there. Then prime and sand as needed to get a good surface.

Mark Dean

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts as I am not a paint expert but have done lots of painting, mostly on model rockets until recently though. First off are you talking primarily about the large saucer disks? If so I am thinking when I do mine I may buy something like Krylon or Rustoleum metallizer type paints. I have used the Rustoleum and it gives a very nice and very metallic finish. Next, did you wash the surfaces of the model prior to painting? Plastic models frequently have a mold release agent on the plastic and that definitely plays havoc with any type of paint. I am typically remiss in doing that myself but it pays off if the stuff is on the plastic. Airbrushing with acrylics such a large surface is not going to be fun but I am certain can be done. Get a big container for the paint and it might be wise to do the whole thing in one coverage session. I know you could do that with the cans. And of course much more expert people on here will be commenting so I will be reading what they say as well.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
A word about the mold release agent used by Moebius to reiterate what rkoenn already stated; it is industrial strength, so washing with warm water and dish detergent on the bare plastic is crucial for even paint adhesion.
Let us know how your Jupiter 2 turns out, and once more, welcome to HobbyTalk.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Hmnnnn?????

Tamiya Spray Paint is the closest thing to an Airbrush finish without actually using an Airbrush.

I personally have never had a Problem with it.

I think my fellow modelers here may be correct. Did you wash the Parts before Painting??
If you prime it,However, I personally would recommend WHITE primer. as the grey Primer tends to make the top coat darker than it should.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Oh, and on primers, if you do have a problem with the paint sticking to the surface the primer will flag that as well. And once the primer is on good you definitely don't have to worry too much about the paint riding on top of the "good" primer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Spray painting the J2

Krylon makes a metallic silver-gray called "Brushed Nickle". Worth checking out as it's really a light gray with a metallic shine. Walmart has it, and Krylon is an excellent spray paint.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Where do you live? I live in Florida and even here its wayyyy to cold to spray paint, unless you are in a heated or indoor situation. That can make the paint run... It should be over 75 F to spray in general.

Tamiya paints go on thin and it will take multiple coats for a solid look. You cant glop it all on in one coat.

The Jupiter 2 is fairly smooth... so you might use a primer (i like the Tamiya grey becuase it has more tooth than the smooth white primer). You dont even need a super solid layer, just something for the paint to stick to.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Another helpful hint is to set your can of paint in hot tap water for a few minutes..This will increase the gas pressure in the can and help to have a nice even coat of paint..Oh and shake it really well a least 3 to 5 mintues...Jeff

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
I would strongly recommend priming the surface of any styrene-based model -- especially one with so large and smooth a surface area.

I would also suggest applying the paint in light, successive mist coats; don't expect to get full and even coverage with the first coat.

This is an excellent guide for using Tamiya paints...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=35

Follow the pointers contained therein and you shouldn't have any trouble.

There can be a bit of a learning curve to this finishing stuff sometimes, but honestly, it's not rocket science. Practice on a piece of scrap until you get the hang of it.

Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Even though the Jupiter II's surface was basically featureless, I'd still like to find a way to give some sort of hint of panels. Nothing like the movie Enterprise, something subtle. Would doing primers in white and gray, then oversprayed with a metallic paint be a good idea?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Tamiya lacquer is pretty opaque, especiially the metallics. You can spray it over black and white and will see no difference.

If you have an airbrush, Alclad has a newish "honey" primer that is inteded to give subtle textures. You could mask off some areas, spray on the honey primer, and then apply paint on top. With one color of paaint you will get different tones with the different textures. It is intended to help in doing natural metal airplanes for a multi panelled look with one shade of paint

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Where do you live? I live in Florida and even here its wayyyy to cold to spray paint, unless you are in a heated or indoor situation. That can make the paint run... It should be over 75 F to spray in general.

Tamiya paints go on thin and it will take multiple coats for a solid look. You cant glop it all on in one coat.

The Jupiter 2 is fairly smooth... so you might use a primer (i like the Tamiya grey becuase it has more tooth than the smooth white primer). You dont even need a super solid layer, just something for the paint to stick to.
I don't know if you were directing this to me or not, but I'll tell you what I did anyway:thumbsup:

I painted the Hulls Of My Jupiter Two almost Immediately after I purchased it, Knowing the Bad weather to come(Snow Storm Etc...)
..Which was 12/17/09..
Here in South Jersey, the weather was acceptable to Outside Painting.

SO.......I would not recommend going out doors to spray if the weather is Bad, I should have mentioned that, But I thought it was a Given:freak:

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Even though the Jupiter II's surface was basically featureless, I'd still like to find a way to give some sort of hint of panels. Nothing like the movie Enterprise, something subtle. Would doing primers in white and gray, then oversprayed with a metallic paint be a good idea?
I don't think the Jupiter 2 had panels. It looks a lot more like it was cast as a single part, kind of like a submarine hull.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
I don't think the Jupiter 2 had panels. It looks a lot more like it was cast as a single part, kind of like a submarine hull.

In the SFX shot showing the J2 landing on the Space Lighthouse, the underside definately looks like it has a large darker panel, which I think is the chariot ramp. :)

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
In the SFX shot showing the J2 landing on the Space Lighthouse, the underside definately looks like it has a large darker panel, which I think is the chariot ramp. :)
Actually, its reflection of the framework between the three coffee can fuel storage bins. As the little J2 sets down you can see the movement of the 'panels' as the model swings from side to side a bit. BTW the little J2 didn't have any underside detail except a lower viewport.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
You're more than likely right, and I bow to your superior knowlege in all things regarding the Jupiter 2.
I'll watch the episode tonight (up until that sequence, anyway; that neurotic, bi-polar Vulcan-looking teenager J-5 always made me "violently ill"). :freak:

UPDATE 1/13/10: Yup, you were right, it was the reflection.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts