Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new here and loving this place!

Just wondering if there are any other sport bike riders on the boards?? Anyone follow MotoGP, SBK or AMA?? Or maybe just have an old rocket they wrench on??

I currently have a 2011 Suzuki GSX-R 750...will post pics.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Hey I'm new here and loving this place!

Just wondering if there are any other sport bike riders on the boards?? Anyone follow MotoGP, SBK or AMA?? Or maybe just have an old rocket they wrench on??

I currently have a 2011 Suzuki GSX-R 750...will post pics.
Yes sir. Not as up to date as I used to be but I still watch on sundays when I am home. Used to race for a few years with CMRA. Had a 03 GSXR-1100 for a year or so. BEAST! Currently building an old 1986 Yamaha FZ600.
I was a huge fan when it was Rainey, Schwants, Doohan, etc.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Both my twin boys own Suzuki GXSs, but I think they are both GXS600s. I don't have a motorcycle because when I was seven I put myself in the hospital in a coma for four days from a bicycle accident and have a scar for every time I tried to ride a motorcycle so decided I better quit before I killed myself. I just can't resist trying to ride/take them to the edge all the time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome!!! You just named some of the best of the best--not to say that modern racing isn't great, it is, but when you watch guys like Rainey and Doohan..man those NSR 500's with ZERO traction control...wheew!! That is as real as it gets!!

I'm hopefully doing my 1st track day with California Super Bike School this Sept here in NJ.

I had bigger fish to fry than riding for awhile, but all is well now and I bought this left over in Feb. I think from here on out I'm a Suzuki guy. It's my 1st Suzuki and I can't say enough about it...it's so nimble and responsive that I actually had a hard time getting adjusted the 1st few weeks. The power is ridiculous and when I tell you the mid range is like getting punched in the chest...you really have to get in that attack position and hang on!

I can't wait to put her on the track!

Here are some pics...I think I'm done with upgrades for now. I'll post finished pics as soon as I take some. As of now I've got rid of the stock exhaust and that anvil that was a cat. Upgraded to a full Yoshimura R-77 exhaust and have it tuned with Dyno Jet Power Commander V.

I also replaced the windscreen with a black Puig double bubble.

Next I'm going to remove the graphics and replace it with just the "R" and GSX decal.

The Saturday morning I fell in love and emptied my pockets lol.

At Washington Cycle Works getting the suspension dialed in--what a difference!

Finishing up the R-77 exhaust, and after 1,000 miles they are still that color, never blued or anything. Yosh makes great stuff!

I'd love to see your guys bikes!! That FZ600 sounds like a great project!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice bikes! I'm thinking about getting one since my car gets about 12 in town with me driving, I'm looking at used Ducati Monsters, would one of those with the smallest engine make a good first bike? I'm 6'2 285lb, so a 250 isn't gonna work, lol.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice bikes! I'm thinking about getting one since my car gets about 12 in town with me driving, I'm looking at used Ducati Monsters, would one of those with the smallest engine make a good first bike? I'm 6'2 285lb, so a 250 isn't gonna work, lol.
Thanks!

I think Ducati is awesome and actually it was a coin toss between the Monster and getting my Gixxer--ultimately I went sport bike because I wanted a track bike.

Here are some things to think about with Ducati. It's air cooled--I know alot of Harleys are and people don't have issues with it, but I kinda do. It's pushing 100 degrees right now. I'd rather not have to shut it off in traffic ya know?

Another thing that Ducati is NOTORIOUS for are the valves. The bikes have gotten more reasonable but the maintenance is borderline ridiculous! They need valve adjustments alot--and nothing on a Ducati is cheap!

They also have a dry clutch--not that big of an issue but it's definitely much different than anything out there and at idle you can hear it clanking around a bit.

As far as your frame goes, lol yeah man I wouldn't think a 250 is going to be a great commuter bike. There are 500's that are pretty peppy and actually look really nice too....and then you get into 600's.

ALOT of guys are going to tell you getting an "R" bike for your 1st is a bad choice. I know some guys who proved that true, and some guys that were fine...you just have to remember you're talking about a 16th of throttle twist and the bike is responding...razor sharp braking too--they are VERY tempermental.

I wouldn't rule it out if you can handle and respect that. Always take the safety courses and ALWAYS gear up. I commute 8 miles to work and I'm in Sidi boots, leather or mesh jacket, kevlar jeans and good gloves everytime!!

Check out what a local dealer has on the floor and DO NOT let them sell you on buying a 1000--ALOT of dealers are shady and say "it has a mode selector to power it down"--that's BS. Just sit on things and see what kind of bike feels best to you.

Lastly, if you go used you can pick up a CBR like an F4I which is kinda dated but a solid bike that's damn near bullet proof--you can get your feet wet and have alot of fun for pretty cheap. I've seen em in good shape from 2,500 to $5,000.

I hope this helps.....I'm just happy I found a forum where I can talk about toy cars and motorcyles! lol :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I believe these are my twin boys' two current bikes - they went through their first few fairly quickly so I could be behind the times. lol

My oldest son doing what I think he loves most

And the patch he was going for

He just sold this bike, which I thought was a shame as I thought everything about it was perfect - color, everything, just a knockout of a bike imho, but it had a smaller engine than what he wanted.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fudd--nice Kawi! I love that bike. I remember when they came out and my jaw dropped--I don't think there has ever been such a head nod to the muscle bike/street fighter days than your bike. I never got to ride on...how's it ride??

Duncan--your boys have good taste in bike manufacturers :thumbsup:

The yellow gixxer is what? an 03?? It's gotta be close...those are great looking bikes and I too loved Suzuki's yellow during the early 2000's.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Here is the Gixxer I sold last year.

Here is the FZ I am currently working on. Before I started taking it apart.

Now...LOL!

The frame has currently been repainted. I am cleaning/disassembling/repainting everything. Body work on all of the plastic takes the most time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, your 1k was a beast! What kind of exhaust did you have there? Akrapovic?

The FZ is awesome--I love old sportbikes. There always seems to be a lack of "classic" sport bikes...that's definitely a gem. Some of those old Yamahas were great...remember that YSR 50?? I'd love to have one of those.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
7... I can remember sitting on the grandfather to this bike back in '81-'82 the Eddie Lawson replica KZ1000R. Dopey me, bought a KDX 175 Enduro instead. I took one of the ZRXs for a test back in '99 I think when they first hit the market. Dealer made a copy of my license, thru me the key, and said have a ball. Couldn't swing it back then, but knew when I got the chance.... well, after the third heart attack, I figured, now or never!! They are surely the father of the modern crotch rocket! If you ever have the chance to take a spin on one, do not hesitate, just don't whack the throttle, they pull like a bear tracking fresh meat!

Duncan..... not my place to judge, but I'd talk to your son about his clothing choice. Been riding for over 30 years now and nothing scares the crap out of me more than a crotch rocket with some kid in shorts with a girl in shorts and a tank on back.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
7... I can remember sitting on the grandfather to this bike back in '81-'82 the Eddie Lawson replica KZ1000R. Dopey me, bought a KDX 175 Enduro instead. I took one of the ZRXs for a test back in '99 I think when they first hit the market. Dealer made a copy of my license, thru me the key, and said have a ball. Couldn't swing it back then, but knew when I got the chance.... well, after the third heart attack, I figured, now or never!! They are surely the father of the modern crotch rocket! If you ever have the chance to take a spin on one, do not hesitate, just don't whack the throttle, they pull like a bear tracking fresh meat!

Duncan..... not my place to judge, but I'd talk to your son about his clothing choice. Been riding for over 30 years now and nothing scares the crap out of me more than a crotch rocket with some kid in shorts with a girl in shorts and a tank on back.
I noticed that, too, when I posted that picture! I was surprised because he usually has full leathers on. The one thing that has somewhat mollified his mother about his riding a bike is that he is usually very conscientious about taking all safety measures, including helmet and clothes. I have no idea why this particular time appears to have been an exception.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a great story and I'm glad you finally got to own one...man I'd love a chance to ride that!

I wish they would come out with some like that again. The "hypersports" like the ZX-14 and the Hayabusa are great in their own right--ton of power, comfortable commute and drag strip ready...but they're dressed up as modern sport bikes and from what I understand they don't really handle like them.

Why not keep the power plant, strip it down to that awesome old school headlight fairing and attract the original muscle/sport bike crowd?

I love my bike, but personally I wouldn't mind seeing a new wave of what you have be the "next big thing".

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Wow, your 1k was a beast! What kind of exhaust did you have there? Akrapovic?

The FZ is awesome--I love old sportbikes. There always seems to be a lack of "classic" sport bikes...that's definitely a gem. Some of those old Yamahas were great...remember that YSR 50?? I'd love to have one of those.
I do remember the YSR 50's as there was actually a class for them at the local CMRA events. It was almost comical. There were some big guys floggings those little bikes around the track. I have not seen one in years but would be up for one myself just for the fun factor.

Sorry I dont remember which exhaust was on the Gixxer. It was a brand I actually had not heard of. I will have to ask my nephew as he was the one who installed it.

I think probably the closest recent bike to Fuds is the Yamaha FZ1. Pretty much a stripped down R1 with a more up-right riding position. Tons of fun on that thing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah the FZ-1 is a nice ride, and I'm sure pretty comfortable--I hear alot that some of the new Yamahas throw off alot of heat. I haven't ridden one but being that I already sweat like a pig and on days like it's been when I take my helmet off it looks like I've been underwater lol--I'll pass on the extra heat.

I'm a huge fan of some of the lesser and smaller bikes like the YSR. All those old 2 strokes are great, the NSR is a legend and the Suzuki Gamma 500 is one of my favorites.

If I had more money I'd probably be happier just living in a garage full of bikes and parts lol....just yesterday I saw a guy pushing an RM 250 to the curb of his shop I stopped and asked "What are you getting for that??" He said "I have an extra motor in the back--it's a 98 with a full FMF and a new Wiseco top end, make me an offer"--I just said "I'll be back".

Believe me there wasn't a bone in my body that didn't want to blurt out a # and imagine myself hitting table tops and doing wheelies in the mud later that day......but this whole hot water, rent and grocery thing keeps getting in the way!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Extra heat? What extra heat? I live in Houston and everything is stupid hot here....lol. I would never notice a little extra heat.

When I was racing I used to hang with a guy that worked in Japan for several years. He was always talking about the NSR's and different 2 stroke bikes that were just piled into garages because they were considered old technology after just a couple of years. He brought back an NSR-250 with him for the track when he moved back state-side. I rode it several times and loved that thing. It was like riding on rails. Wherever you pointed it, that is where you went, no matter how low you got over. The hardest part was remembering you had to down shift instead up up shift.

Good times.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whoa, I heard about that TX heat, I'm struggling enough with NJ heat it was 100 today and I was ready to book a flight to Antarctica!

As far as the 2 strokes--definitley cool stuff. I always love finding out about older sportbikes, especially stuff that was used on a track. I cant believe you got to ride that NSR! I'm officially jealous.

The MotoGP bikes are the same way, all the gears are down I believe. I was just reading an article in Sport Rider about how crazy those "CRT" bikes are. The Gresini Race team has some of their bikes restored and in their office--it said they actually have to remove the motor, give it back to MotoGP and then they can have their old bikes back...they don't mess around with their tech.

As soon as I upload the pic, I'll show you how my bike no longer has a steering stem nut.....long story and I'm not happy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I go over this bike with a fine tooth comb after every big ride and have done all the upgrades myself with a bunch of life long riders and racers who have helped me out--awesome people.

With that, I leave work the other day and as I strap my helmet on and get ready to sink my key into the ignition I notice this..

At first I was bent on the fact that someone did it, vandalism, theft etc--but really it's a steering stem nut. Who would get that close to the building I work in with a wrench and take the time to get it off? If they wanted to screw with me they couldve just knocked it over in shorter time. UNLESS it was loose and showing and someone did it by hand while I was in the gym or something.

I think I wouldve noticed if it vibrated off so it makes sense that a kid at the gym saw it higher on the threads and messed with it.....it also makes sense that the dealer didn't torque it to specs....

I have a love affair with the bike but the dealer I bought it from was a complete and absolute nightmare. It took me 2 months to get a plate, they ordered the wrong frame sliders, it was supposed to show up at my house at 10 AM, I took off from work and lost a day and it got there at 3...2 of the screws that hold the fairing on vibrated and fell off and the icing on the cake?? I paid $61.00 to over night the steering stem nut so I could ride....and they didn't order the washer and didn't have one in stock, so actually I paid the over night fee for nothing as I have to wait for the washer anyway.

With that, I do all the service myself and made some great friends riding that work in the industry or know someone who does and everyone said the same thing....."dealers suck."

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Holy cow! Just gone. That is crazy. Why the heck would anyone take a steering nut? Weird.

I agree about stealerships. They all are horrible. Bikes, cars, it does not matter. I am dealing with a Chevy dealership now that screwed up the alignment on my HHR. They dont want to fix it, telling me it is all in spec. Then how come it pulls left if it is in spec? Anyway, I recently purchased a new Corvette and asked them if they thought I would bring it to them for service. Yeah right.:rolleyes:

My Yamaha dealer is not any better. Customer service is nearly gone every where.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts