Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Although I wanted to retain the look of the filming miniature's practical interior(It didn't have one... just a crude figure in the main viewport seen in the episode "Manhunt"), I wanted something a little more detailed.

I used some old Lunar Models Spindrift parts to present an Irwin Allen interior.
The parts do not fit and are inaccurate, however with some surgery and some scratch building, an acceptable faux interior is accomplished.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
We never got to see the Spindrift flying from the front. Just the side, in space, and the rear, when it crashed in the first episode. I know the rear shot showed the rockets firing as she crashed. There was a spinning drum with contact brushes on it, built into the model, that would light up the individual rocket tubes in a fluttering pattern. I wonder if the front vents would have fluttered too? For some reason, in my mind the front vents ramping up and down in brightness is associated with recharging the power supply. Although, why it changed color from red to blue depending on whether it was day or night.... I do like the flashing on/off of the vents, as that was true for how the giants saw it. Neat seeing the flashing vents in flight!

If I may, the radar ball and pole were black on the set (I think, I used to know this!). Yet, they were silver on the hero model. Which the giants got to carry around from time to time, allowing us to see the much long pole extending from the model, itself. I often wonder why the model and set weren't outfitted with the twin landing lights shown in the blueprints?

This is ... really! ... nicely done!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
We never got to see the Spindrift flying from the front. Just the side, in space, and the rear, when it crashed in the first episode. I know the rear shot showed the rockets firing as she crashed. There was a spinning drum with contact brushes on it, built into the model, that would light up the individual rocket tubes in a fluttering pattern. I wonder if the front vents would have fluttered too? For some reason, in my mind the front vents ramping up and down in brightness is associated with recharging the power supply. Although, why it changed color from red to blue depending on whether it was day or night.... I do like the flashing on/off of the vents, as that was true for how the giants saw it. Neat seeing the flashing vents in flight!

If I may, the radar ball and pole were black on the set (I think, I used to know this!). Yet, they were silver on the hero model. Which the giants got to carry around from time to time, allowing us to see the much long pole extending from the model, itself. I often wonder why the model and set weren't outfitted with the twin landing lights shown in the blueprints?

This is ... really! ... nicely done!
Many Thanks!!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts