Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. Greetings from Brazil!

I have recently bought the Spiderman kit and I am in the process of builiding it. Before I started, I read somewhere that it would be best to paint it first, prior to assembly as some areas may be difficult to paint afterwards. I usually build airplanes and most of the time I paint camouflages on them after building the fuselage and wings. I am new to figure building and painting, so I would appreciate some advice.

This is the process I followed:
- Glued together the sub-assemblies (arms and legs)
- After some putty and sanding, I primed the parts
- Then I airbrushed the red color, masked it using Tamiya tape and liquid mask, and then I airbrushed the blue color.
- Removed the masks and glued arms and legs to the body
- Assembled the body halves.
Then, a really nasty seam appeared between the two body halves, specially in the bottom and shoulder areas. :(
I am now filling the seams and preparing to retouch the paint job. I am a little desapointed that I will have to repaint a large portion of the model and I am not sure if I will be able to obtain a good finished model.
So, what am I doing wrong here?
Should I have done something prior to painting that would avoid this problem?

I still have a Green Goblin and an Iron Man in their boxes and I would like to avoid such problems on them, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Regards

Luis

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Luis,
I ended up removing a lot of the locking tabs on the arms to let the halves of the shoulders meet better. I only ended up with a small area (from the armpit to the hip) that I had to sand and touch up. I also cut the locating pins from the halves of the inside of the head

always test fit before you paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Lou.
Before assembling, I did try to test fit, but it was so tight that I was afraid I would not be able to disassemble it later.
I will try to be more careful with test fitting in my next model.

Regards,
Luis

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I haven't got Spidey yet but I just stuck my Goblin together without painting him first then sprayed some primer on him when he was all glued together, but haven't got round to painting the details yet. As far as I can see with the Goblin there's no real areas that can't be accessed after he's all built up.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I guess if you put the parts in warm water first and use elastic bands to tie them in a dry fitting fashion,it should adopt the new shape more easily.Then glue it together and tie the parts up again with eleastic bands until the glue is cured.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts