Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Because they are getting ready to release the COMPETITION 2007... which will supposedly fix some of the problems and allow you to run 3.5 motors..

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really , i wonder how long the delay will be? This is my first venture into brushless, trying to create some local intrests, gonna try a 4300 motor and a 13.5 to start ,thanks Kenwood appreciate the insite ! .............dave l from NY

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
Where can a guy get info on the new COMP 2007?
I have a Sphere COMP and have been quite happy with it so far. But I would like to get another BL ESC for a back up.
I was planning on getting the GTB 4 cell.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
straight from Novak: 4 cell GTB is no different than the current GTB, only they take the fan and heat sink off and charge more ???? LRP compitition 2007 info can be found @ LRP Electronics.com select #3 stats are awesome has the ability to detect weither you are using a brushed or a brushless motor and can use Lipo or NI-MH cells......... bunch of goodies

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Cap on the Sphere Comp 2007 is HUGE. At lease twice the size of the previous version. That means it no longer tucks nicely under where the leads solder onto the board and is pretty much a PITA to get mounted anywhere convienent in a pan car. I ended up with it on top and left the heatsink off, I ran out of room.

I haven't made it to the track yet, but I'll let you all know what happens, I went through 2 Sphere Comps so I know how to smoke em'

Later
Jay

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
2007 version Spheres are in stock and going fast.

the cap is a little bigger than the first comp sphere but there is not problems with fit. Ill try to post up a picture of my car later tonight or tomorrow. I just stood mine on its side and shoo gooed the cap at an angle so it did not touch or cause any issues with my crossbrace/shock mounts.

Rob

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It is amazing to me that people still want them at all when I have seen 10 or more burn up and have heard of atleast 10 more on here. People defend them and say well I have had no problems then they are the next one on here saying theirs burned up too.

Good Luck to all that own them and are thinking of buying one!!!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I have 2 lrp Spheres one I bought new on ebay for 102 bucks and one I bought used for 100 bucks shipped on here this one has been used for a year befor me.AS OF NOW no problems and they mount way better and weigh less .I run them on the modified setting one 4300 and one 13.5.

At the track I race at I have seen one LRP sphere burn up (this wireing job was spaghetti at best) and one GTB go up in smoke this wireing job was very nice.

If I buy a new one I would still go with the LRP Comp 07 because of all it can do.

My GTB works just fine also but has been put away for back up.

Jake

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
abdule said:
stats are awesome has the ability to detect weither you are using a brushed or a brushless motor and can use Lipo or NI-MH cells......... bunch of goodies
uh the 2006 sphere comp did that!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I would say that most on this site it is old hat to them, but brushless is new to The ORL. If my post are a little off key or seem a little behind, I'm looking for info and direction to get up to speed. :wave:

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
abdule,
You will not go wrong if you go with any of the NOVAK stuff right now. For serious racing you'll want a GTB. Either GTB model is equally competitive. I don't think the differences will be of great significance. I own an LRP COMP also. Luckily it has not failed me yet. Many of them have. There have been GTB's go south also.
But, Many of the failures, not all, have been from running the motors faster than the 5800 without proper protections in place. Some have chosen to take the heat sink and fan and capacitor off to save weight. A noble cause, but risky with some motors and applications.

I run in the 13.5 class. The 13.5 motor is the mildest NOVAK motor. I have not been able to get it over 138 degrees F. I am currently using an LRP COMP with this motor. The LRP COMP is a little smaller and lighter than the GTB. The GTB 4 cell is almost the same dimensions as the LRP's.

With the parity that brushless systems create, the racing is very competitive. More often than not [99.99% of the time] driving skill and chassis setup is the most important deal.

It's not a 'motor/battery of the week' competition.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
first nite with the LRP '07 & Novak 13.5 on track ,with TIGHT turns about 120' around. track has good bite, and we use only the .99 cent hand cleaner you can get @ PEP Boys. Awesome is the best that I can say..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
07' ran fine in first night of practice with novak 4300. I ran more laps then I had run with 2 previous Sphere Comps. No issues at all and speedo never got above 15 blinks below thermal. This version has a max temperature memory you can check when you get back to your pits with blinking lights. Pretty cool really.

I would say they fixed the issues with the original one. Too bad they had to go to that big cap. It's not that big of a deal though, especially since it was obviously one of the improvements.

Overall pretty good IMO.

Later
Jay

1 - 20 of 27 Posts