Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting back into oval racing and now looking for a new Radio I was curious the benefits of the Spektrum DX3 vs Futuba 3PK as though I have narrowed my seach to these 2.

Any feedback you can give me would be awsome.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The only benefit of the Spektrum is that it comes stock with DSM.

The 3pks is a much better radio and also "feels" a lot better. Futaba is capable of using a DSM system, both the Futaba 2.4 FAAST system and spektrum systems will work. In my personal experience, the 2.4 system from Futaba is superior to that of the spektrum. I have had terrible luck using spektrum units. After joining Team Futaba over the summer, I had the chance to test a prototype FAAST system at the 2006 Oval Masters and it worked flawlessly without any glitch!

If I were going to buy a radio right now, I would get a 3PKS without any servos, a module, or reciever, (only due to cost) and buy a 2.4 FAAST system to put in it.

Might add up to a little more now, but you won't be dissapointed! :thumbsup:

Adam Liehr
Team FUTABA

·
Registered
302 Posts
Its alot of just what you like. I dont like the feel of the 3pk. I just bought the DX3. If you go with this radio......MAKE SURE you get the DX3.0 not the DX3. There is a differance. I know the DX3 like mine dont have expo adjustments. :cry: I didnt know there was a differance until I got it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thank you all for your input I have 1 other question ... if I decide to buy more vehicles do I also have to but extra radios or can I just buy more recievers and use the same radio?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
No comparing these 2 units. The 3pk is so far ahead not even in the same class. The 3pk has no equal for feel and I don't mean your hand I mean the car and has more adjustability than any other radio.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
jspiker77 said:
I thank you all for your input I have 1 other question ... if I decide to buy more vehicles do I also have to but extra radios or can I just buy more recievers and use the same radio?
Thats another great thing about the 3PKS it has 20 memory slots. That can be used for 20 different cars or tracks. No need to keep changing the radio, just switch the program and your done! Answering your question, yes, you just have to buy a new reciever.

If you get the 3pks and 2.4 FAAST system, make sure you use your radio in PPM mode.

Adam Liehr
Team Futaba

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought a 3PKs and in the process of put a spectrum pro system in it. What is the FASST System and how does it compare with the spetrum pro?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just read about the FASST system. The spectrum pro and the fasst sound very simalar. What are the advantages of the two and the disadvantages? I would like to get some support form people who actual use these devices.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
All I can say is that I use the Futaba faast system, I have it in three different oval cars and have had absolutely zero problem. 4-cell oval 4300 and 13.5 with Novak and Lrp brushless systems and again no problems at all. A terrific product and it really simplifies racing, no need to check for frequency changes and no more gabbing a frequency clip to race or practice. I use the 3PK transmitter as well, another great product, that is user friendly.

I give the Futaba system 5 out of 5 stars.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was reading somewhere that if you use a fasst system in 4 cell racing you will probably need to use a reciever pack but not with the pro. Is there any truth to this or was this with maybe an older unit. I am just getting back into racing so whats new now is all I know.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I just used the FASST system this weekend with my 4-cell stock oval car. Not one problem all day, and I didnt have a reciever pack. Using the 9550 digital servo too.
I was lucky enough to test it this summer with anything from a Tamiya silver can up to a 6-cell 6X1 modified. Not once did it have a problem with glitching. So a great product in my eyes. And I had to pay for mine, didnt get it for free...

·
Registered
300 Posts
What about the module antenna. I heard that something need to be drilled out so that the mod ant would give the correct signal. What the heck is that? Or did I just misunderstand what they were saying.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Spektrum: cost me 3 cars in three different weeks. That is 3 completely destroyed cars due to glitching. I believe it was the 2nd generation of the Spektrum units. I have heard that with the pro stuff they are working fine. I haven't tried the pro, but you will never see another spektrum unit in my cars!

FAAST: Seemed faster than HRS. No reciever pack needed. Ran without any glitching or loss of signal! Even if I wasn't on the team, I would still run this system!!!!

Adam Liehr
Team FUTABA

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The futaba system comes with a new cover for the 3PK and requires no drilling. I have not used a receiver pack on any of the cars and still zero problems.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have been using the FAAST system for the last 3 months in 4 cell stock without a reciever pack. Works great without any problems whatsoever.

Antonio

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Where can I get a 3PKS without any servos, a module, or reciever and a 2.4 FAAST system to put in it at the best price?And i also need 2 extra receivers.Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts