Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone i just baught the GTB and the 4300 motor. im curious if it matters what speedo i get for that motor? what one is fastest or more reliable? is the lrp better then novak? or the gtb 4 cell any better? im running 4 cell pan car with it. or are all the speedos the same speed basicly? any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
The regular GTB is fine take off the fan and get a top plate to replace the heat sink from Bigboytoys to get rid of some of the weight.

Jake

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
I have yet to smoke a GTB with either 4 or 6 cells and 4300 and 5800 respectively. I have not tried th LRP but I think from what I have read the only difference is the foot print.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yah see thats what im curious about. some people that havnt raced the class say that speedo matters for "speed" others say they all blow up. but the guys that race it that tell me therse not much downside and that they havnt blown them up and that the speedos are fairly close are on here now too. are there good reason to think my speedo will blow up? ive had good luck in the past with speedos lasting forever. we will have to see with brushless. i sure hope you guys are right and they arent so bad :)

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
I don't think you'll have a warning about when it'll smoke. In my experience, it just happens.

With the 4300 and 13.5 it is not as often. But, it still happens. I seen a GTB burn up a couple weeks ago with a 13.5. My LRP burned up with a 13.5
Come to think about it the GTB that burnt up may have been that the motor fried. Not sure of the whole story on that deal.

Andy Koback said:
They all smoke sooner or later!!! ;)
Yup, I smoked my LRP last Saturday.
My GTB is new so I hope it'll last for the rest of the season.
My SS has been going strong for 3 years.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I know there are some people that disagree, but by and large I think the GTBs are more reliable. As far as speed I dont havent seen a difference in speed between the LRP and the GTB. I cant speak for the new Sphere Comp. 2007 as they havent been out long, but am talking about the first 2 versions.

IMO part of the reason there has been more problems with the GTBs lately is partly due to people taking the heatsinks off and replacing them with lexan, and taking the capacitors off.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
My COMP ran great for almost 4 months, despite seeing thread after thread about LRP's with trouble. While the GTB's have burned up too, the casualties are far fewer. Also, Novak's Customer Service is apparently Top Notch. I've never had any problem's with Novak stuff. So, I have not had personal experience.
On the other hand, I've not heard much good about LRP/AE's Customer Service. I'll be experiencing that first hand since I sent my LRP Sphere COMP out to California Monday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts