Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the rules thread but thought I'd set up this separate thread so the announcement doesn't get lost in other rules discussion.

After burning up a lot of cell phone minutes this week, here is the latest on ESC's and the BRL.

The Brushless Racing League is declaring a moratorium on the introduction of new ESC's into BRL competition until at least January 1st, 2010. This freeze will allow us to carefully evaluate the ESC situation and make a final determination on ESC rules for the balance of the season. We're taking this action in order to control costs and do our best to assure a reasonably level playing field without forcing our racers to immediately invest in new ESC's in order to remain competitive.

ESC's which were available to the racing public through recognized distribution channels prior to Nov 1st will be the only ESC's permitted in the BRL during this moratorium. In the case of the Tekin RS or RS Pro, racers will be limited to software version 200 or lower. The Mamba Max Pro, while available prior to this date, will not be permitted in single cell classes because it was not available in a version which could be used for single cell racing without internal modifications. The position of the BRL is that any internal modification of an ESC changes the unit from one that was commercially available to one that is not. We're not even going to try to define allowable internal modifications separate from those not allowed. Castle has confirmed that the unit they currently have available can not be used with single cell racing without internal modification. So there is no question that anyone using a Castle Mamba Max Pro for single cell classes is using a unit that was modified from that which was commercially available.

I realize a temporary moratorium leaves racers unsure of the situation after January 1st and that many would prefer a final decision either way right now. But this is a reflection of the state of the industry at the moment. The shift to one cell racing put race organizers and racers out in front of equipment manufacturers. Many had equipment which could be used for single cell racing but few, if any, had equipment optimized for single cell use. Now, as manufacturers catch up, we've entered a period of instability. It is pretty clear that the new unit from Advanced Engineering offers some significant advantages over current units. It is also clear that other manufacturers will have a reasonably quick competitive response in order to keep up. Without a moratorium on the use of new ESC's, we could easily be faced with a situation where the "gotta have it" ESC changes with each BRL race. While I believe that innovation and competition is generally good for our sport; I believe even more strongly that quickly escalating costs drives away racers.

Some may ask why not simply make this ESC freeze permanent for the remainder of the BRL 2009-2010 season? I had several reasons for delaying a more permanent decision. For one thing, I don't want to over react to very limited data on the "new" ESC's. The AE unit (and the modified Mamba Max Pro) were used by a very limited number of racers. In addition, the AE units used were prototypes rather than production units.

A couple of related comments. I've been told by Castle that they will be producing a version of the Mamba Max Pro which is ready for one cell racing from the factory. At this time, they intend to distribute this unit via their web shop only. I don't have a firm date on availability but I expect it to be available prior to Jan 1st based on my discussions with Castle.

Also, for those nostalgic for the good old BRL days where equipment choice was limited I would point out that the 2009-2010 classs structure includes a class specifically for those who prefer this approach; the SMC 21.5 Super Stock Class. This class allows only 1 motor, 1 battery and while ESC use is not limited, the ESC rule is the same as last season which worked reasonably well.

Finally, I'm pretty sure there will be some strong opinions about this freeze both from folks who agree with it and from those who think it's stupid. I can tell both sides that whatever your arguments are, I've probably already heard them during my cell phone marathon or thought of them myself. Still, you're welcome to voice your opinions although I do ask that we try to keep the debate somewhat civilized.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Stay on it.....

Hopefully you stick to the rules you started with for the 09-10 season. It would be most likely the only series in history that would. Best of luck......:wave:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I wish the TOUR would have done the same as you have done. But its funny that one of the guys that started the TOUR is running the AE esc and his sponsor is selling them. Thats just not cool.:(

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I posted this on the rules thread but thought I'd set up this separate thread so the announcement doesn't get lost in other rules discussion.

After burning up a lot of cell phone minutes this week, here is the latest on ESC's and the BRL.

The Brushless Racing League is declaring a moratorium on the introduction of new ESC's into BRL competition until at least January 1st, 2010. This freeze will allow us to carefully evaluate the ESC situation and make a final determination on ESC rules for the balance of the season. We're taking this action in order to control costs and do our best to assure a reasonably level playing field without forcing our racers to immediately invest in new ESC's in order to remain competitive.

ESC's which were available to the racing public through recognized distribution channels prior to Nov 1st will be the only ESC's permitted in the BRL during this moratorium. In the case of the Tekin RS or RS Pro, racers will be limited to software version 200 or lower. The Mamba Max Pro, while available prior to this date, will not be permitted in single cell classes because it was not available in a version which could be used for single cell racing without internal modifications. The position of the BRL is that any internal modification of an ESC changes the unit from one that was commercially available to one that is not. We're not even going to try to define allowable internal modifications separate from those not allowed. Castle has confirmed that the unit they currently have available can not be used with single cell racing without internal modification. So there is no question that anyone using a Castle Mamba Max Pro for single cell classes is using a unit that was modified from that which was commercially available.

I realize a temporary moratorium leaves racers unsure of the situation after January 1st and that many would prefer a final decision either way right now. But this is a reflection of the state of the industry at the moment. The shift to one cell racing put race organizers and racers out in front of equipment manufacturers. Many had equipment which could be used for single cell racing but few, if any, had equipment optimized for single cell use. Now, as manufacturers catch up, we've entered a period of instability. It is pretty clear that the new unit from Advanced Engineering offers some significant advantages over current units. It is also clear that other manufacturers will have a reasonably quick competitive response in order to keep up. Without a moratorium on the use of new ESC's, we could easily be faced with a situation where the "gotta have it" ESC changes with each BRL race. While I believe that innovation and competition is generally good for our sport; I believe even more strongly that quickly escalating costs drives away racers.

Some may ask why not simply make this ESC freeze permanent for the remainder of the BRL 2009-2010 season? I had several reasons for delaying a more permanent decision. For one thing, I don't want to over react to very limited data on the "new" ESC's. The AE unit (and the modified Mamba Max Pro) were used by a very limited number of racers. In addition, the AE units used were prototypes rather than production units.

A couple of related comments. I've been told by Castle that they will be producing a version of the Mamba Max Pro which is ready for one cell racing from the factory. At this time, they intend to distribute this unit via their web shop only. I don't have a firm date on availability but I expect it to be available prior to Jan 1st based on my discussions with Castle.

Also, for those nostalgic for the good old BRL days where equipment choice was limited I would point out that the 2009-2010 classs structure includes a class specifically for those who prefer this approach; the SMC 21.5 Super Stock Class. This class allows only 1 motor, 1 battery and while ESC use is not limited, the ESC rule is the same as last season which worked reasonably well.

Finally, I'm pretty sure there will be some strong opinions about this freeze both from folks who agree with it and from those who think it's stupid. I can tell both sides that whatever your arguments are, I've probably already heard them during my cell phone marathon or thought of them myself. Still, you're welcome to voice your opinions although I do ask that we try to keep the debate somewhat civilized.

good luck teching the software. un bealivable. you people are to much.

what is next tire size

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
good luck teching the software. un bealivable. you people are to much.

what is next tire size
More helpful information from Florida....don't know what we'd do without you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
More helpful information from Florida....don't know what we'd do without you. :rolleyes:
Exactly, voicing opinions that have nothing to do with them. Not that Dave would make a trip to a BRL race. That would mean he'd have to leave Flordia. Something I don't think I've ever seen him do.

C'mon Dave don't hide your talent, let the rest of us see it.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Exactly, voicing opinions that have nothing to do with them. Not that Dave would make a trip to a BRL race. That would mean he'd have to leave Flordia. Something I don't think I've ever seen him do.

C'mon Dave don't hide your talent, let the rest of us see it.

been to the oval masters a few times and a couple of there warm up races also ran at K&N while on vacation.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Whether the Internet masses like it or not, they made a decision based on what the racers who support the series wanted. Few who RACE in the series dislike that train of thought.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
only problem i have is while tour is taking over the BRL still plays a major roll. I have no problem with the banning of certain products or the limiting of software. problem I have is it is a technical nightmare.

I can see it now while I no Tekin will follow the rules and never ever think of releasing software misslabled. there are alot of computer goo roos out there that will figure out a way to rename new software.

also how does tech know that brand x's y speedo is actually that speedo, it isn't brand x's new speedo z in y's case.

i know your all laughing but few years back I gave a (brand unamed) speedo to a team driver. he opened it up remove a board installed another board and bo what a different animal it was.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I wish the TOUR would have done the same as you have done. But its funny that one of the guys that started the TOUR is running the AE esc and his sponsor is selling them. Thats just not cool.:(
:thumbsup:
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Either way I am glad you guys took a stand either way. Just lets everyone know what to expect and keeps people/racers out of limbo.

Joel White

·
Registered
683 Posts
He was running both at the oval masters, and I don't think he picked up the Castle sponsership until after the OM

·
Talentless Hack
426 Posts
Yea, he was running both, but he had Castle a couple weeks before OM, he just didn't have the speedo in his hands until a couple days before the race. He was only running the AE as a comparison...

Regardless, I have to agree with Flyingfinn#8

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
only problem i have is while tour is taking over the BRL still plays a major roll. I have no problem with the banning of certain products or the limiting of software. problem I have is it is a technical nightmare.

I can see it now while I no Tekin will follow the rules and never ever think of releasing software misslabled. there are alot of computer goo roos out there that will figure out a way to rename new software.

also how does tech know that brand x's y speedo is actually that speedo, it isn't brand x's new speedo z in y's case.

i know your all laughing but few years back I gave a (brand unamed) speedo to a team driver. he opened it up remove a board installed another board and bo what a different animal it was.
If you read this earlier post ( http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=267011&page=3 ) you'll see we're very much aware of the difficulty in policing the software and in making certain the insides of the ESC are "as manufactured". That's a problem whether we freeze ESC's or leave them wide open. But just because it's a problem doesn't mean we have to ignore the situation and accept an "ESC of the month" cost spiral.

I acknowledge that our solution is temporary and imperfect. But, to paraphrase Katfish (I must be losing my mind LOL); the winner of our races shouldn't be determined by who has the largest credit card limit. We're taking a "time out" to let the dust settle and see what we're really up against.

We're not telling anyone else what they have to do or saying that some other approach (including leaving things completely wide open) is wrong. But we think this freeze is the best approach for the BRL and our racers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts