Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the modest turnout at this event I think the WL's will turn out to
be hard to obtain. So far I am seeing just a few of these hit EPAY. It seems like those that attended are keeping their WL's and not many dealers purchased them to resell due to the cost involved for attending the different events. I know many are passing on these WL's for many reasons. I think they are cool and just purchased the pink bug wl on EPAY for high dollars. It is 1/40 and I like the car alot. I think the 1/200 WL's will surface on EPAY as they did not all sell or get given out at the event. Time will tell. They could also be saved for sale at next years Wild Weekend which has already been set for 7-7 to 7-10 in Hartford Ct. at the Hartford/ Windsor Marriot. No matter
what happens to the 1/200 WL's the 1/40 WL's (Zinger Camaro and Pink Bug)
will always be Holy Grail type WL's due to their coolness (White Tires/Base)
and their scarcity. I saw a set of the Ladies Luncheon Pink Jaded and the
Orange Jaded Staff car from the 3rd Wild Weekend for sale at the Wicked
Weekend for $550. I own the Orange Jaded Staff car but have never been
motivated to lay out the cash for the Pink Jaded. The orange jaded has
the same pink tinted windshield used for the Pink Jaded which is cool.

Regards, DrDeal

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
To be honest, I like VW's....but I have no desire to own that WWW VW WL.....why? Because I feel that the way the whole JL car thing was handled for the event was "gimmicky" at best....... and I'm not buying into it. Go ahead and spend your high $$$ for the cars......I'm not buying into it.......and I'm sure alot of others aren't either.

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
to say those are WL cars is wrong anyway. unless they made 20,000 regular ones that were not wl cars. those were simply a special low production car made for a specific event.

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
Can you imagine going to the event thinking you could actually get one of the bugs or Camaros.....and then find out ONLY TWO were made available....and those were by auction only. Plane tickets/hotel/food money would have been spent to find out they were basically all saved for event personnel. That's NOT the way to run a event, especially a charity type. Looks more like it was for the cars and NOT the charity. I wonder how many of the event personnel/attendees donated items for auction to raise $$ for the charity, ZERO?????? Two thumbs up for Mark running a weekend show like it should be. Had I gone I would have really been PO'd. I doubt very much if I will spend the $$$ on e-bay for the Camaro WL. If I get one somehow someway someday for a reasonable trade OR find/get a holy grail type car to make big bucks off of then maybe. For now, I'll pass, don't need it.

What's really interesting is that PM agreed to make this low of number of items. I've heard that they are very hard to get numbers below 1000 or so. What made this group of people so special that they kinda broke their minimum production amount numbers???? If I was other people that have tried to get low numbers produced and I was nixed I'd be very disappointed now, very very disappointed.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that you can not technically call the white tire cars from WWWIV
WL's due to their being 10% of production. The pink bug was obtainable
at the event IF and only IF you were a woman. I went to the third WWW
and could not get the pink Jaded due to my maleness. On a lighter note,
two men did dress as women (Dresses, Hose, High Heels) and attended
the Wicked Weekend ladies breakfast. They received a sweet code 3
HW Scooter (Pink). It was pretty funny to see the lengths some guys
will go to to obtain a sweet vehicle.
Regards, DrDeal

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I asked these questions myself. It seems the total dollars involved were enough to warrant some special runs. PM was also looking to try another Fest type setting out East and since this was an established show, it looked like a win-win scenerio for all parties. For special situations like LightningFest, PM does do some very special things. Look at the PSR cars and the run of 50 in the past and 150 dinner cars. Many things changed from the time the order was taken to the time of the show.

I was hoping to get some good feedback on what went right and what needed work, to apply to Fest. I'm still waiting on info. I promise you guys this, any left over castings from Fest will always be offered to the people who made the show what it is......... HT people first, just like in the past.
Mark:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Also...

It's tougher than you think to sell special castings and fill a show. Take for example the Fest Pace Car. It thought it was a damn fine casting, everything on it was one off and it came in a special box. A confirmed 300 run and I held back 20 some for Fest activities so there were actually only 280 available for purchase. It took some time to sell out and ONLY when we opened up multiple purchases. Also, the dinner run is only 175 castings. Last year was 150 and you got TWO special castings and a Jet Ski for 50.00. 120 dinners sold leaving the rest to be sold after the fact on HT. Same holds true this year.

It's tougher than you think. Perhaps there was full intention of selling them all and costs kept people away? I don't know what the answer is but I do know that it is tougher than it looks.

Mark

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based on the JL Newsflash #40 Page 5 We can call the WL's from WWWIV
WL's. Under JL Promo's all of the WL's are referred to as White Lightnings.
This means that PM markets these cars as WL's to companies or individuals
who are looking for a PM casting with a limited run subset of the regular car.
Newsflash is good enough for me so I will call the Wild Weekend White Tire
cars White Lightnings. Others can call them what they will. I have both Lexmark White Tire /Gold Hub Camaros and the Black Bandit White Tire/Hub
bug and I refer to those as White Lightnings, as did their promoters.

Regards, DrDeal

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
Drdealone said:
Based on the JL Newsflash #40 Page 5 We can call the WL's from WWWIV
WL's. Under JL Promo's all of the WL's are referred to as White Lightnings.
This means that PM markets these cars as WL's to companies or individuals
who are looking for a PM casting with a limited run subset of the regular car.
Newsflash is good enough for me so I will call the Wild Weekend White Tire
cars White Lightnings. Others can call them what they will. I have both Lexmark White Tire /Gold Hub Camaros and the Black Bandit White Tire/Hub
bug and I refer to those as White Lightnings, as did their promoters.

Regards, DrDeal
i can understand your "new" idea of what a white lightning is. that is the problem with the whole wl program,,,they call what ever and how many ever white lightnings. what they say on the JL website is truly the truth with the added feature the knowlegable collector knows is that the oldest numbered ones only truly came close to being as described. numbered in fact proving quantities made. look under FAQ on the websight as to "what is a white lightning?",,,,,,,the sad truth is there were only a very few series of true white lightnings ever produced by Playing Mantis. what we have now and have had for several years is a "lower quantity produced variation" of regular production run cars made with "white lightning like qualities" or in like this case a "low production run of special event cars" made also with "white lightning like appearance and qualities",,,,,,,,,,,,,,those are facts,,,its the truth and its really truly time to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
I speculate that I will care in 10 years as much as I do now about them-ZERO.

LOL, well said :thumbsup:

I'm begginning to get the feeling that someone here is really trying to stir up some demand for these cars...... :p

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Would everyone still be in an uproar if the cars were a PT Cruiser and a new Beetle instead of a Camaro and an old Bug? ;) :wave:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your thoughts on the WWW IV WL's. I am think they will be
viewed as a nice set in ten years. WL's or "Limited Production cars with
WL like qualities" LOL. I was trying to see what this board thinks as I
value the input of you all. I was not trying to stir up demand for these
cars. I have none for sale and wanted to see if others thought they were
sweet or could care less. I appreciate everyone's views that has posted on this topic. I like the ones I have and hope you all buy what you like.

Regards, DrDeal

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing I learned in my short time on this planet , is everyone has different views on any subject , from sports to hobbies & LIFE its slef. WE like some thing or dont , I was not a JL collector thats was my sons thing, I was always a HW guy.I thought the WWW was fine for the short time they had to put it on when Mattel/HW pulled out after three shows. Like some of you said if you like the cars buy them , if you dont then leave them for us who do. IF you think its easy to start some thing (Convention/show/etc) , try it some time , I tried to start a HW club in my aera and NOT ONE person show up for the meeting , IF you dont like the way WWW was run , instead of downing it just give them a chance to do better , with more time..Thanks for you time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm with you Sarge,
I also went to the WWW and me and my brother had a fantastic time!
We got some nice cars and the people hosting the show were great- Thanks Randy! The show is already planned for next year and will be even better - see y'all there- Steve

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
Must have been a worker/helper.

SUGGESTION. If they are not going to make some of the cars made for the event...... BUT not basically make them available to the public next year they need to advertise as such.

·
Registered
971 Posts
dammitman said:
i can understand your "new" idea of what a white lightning is. that is the problem with the whole wl program,,,they call what ever and how many ever white lightnings. what they say on the JL website is truly the truth with the added feature the knowlegable collector knows is that the oldest numbered ones only truly came close to being as described. numbered in fact proving quantities made. look under FAQ on the websight as to "what is a white lightning?",,,,,,,the sad truth is there were only a very few series of true white lightnings ever produced by Playing Mantis. what we have now and have had for several years is a "lower quantity produced variation" of regular production run cars made with "white lightning like qualities" or in like this case a "low production run of special event cars" made also with "white lightning like appearance and qualities",,,,,,,,,,,,,,those are facts,,,its the truth and its really truly time to deal with it.
AMEN!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Camaro Zinger is at $363. This car is turning into the Troy Lee Dairy Delivery
of Johnny Lightnings.
Regards, DrDeal

1 - 20 of 29 Posts