Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I dont know If its the best way or not but I discharge them on My turbo 35 and then hook a rack of bulbs till dead :wave:

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you run the pack until it is almost dead, then light bulbs are fine. The problem with discharging a pack with light bulbs is "Diminishing Current" I'll explain I=V*R or Current equals Voltage times resistance. So the lightbulbs resistance is fixed, and as the pack discharges the voltage drops therefore the current being seen by the pack also drops. Turbo 30/35's will keep the current constant over the entire voltage range of the pack. Packs that have bulbs used on them over time seem to get flat at the end of their curves. If you are running and at the 3 1/2 minute point people start catching you, I would point to that as the cause.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hi,
Just to add to Hipplwm,s comments, next time you discharge a pack with bulbs connect a multimeter set on amps in series and watch the change in amp draw as the pack discharges! Its interesting to watch, now think about the amp draw on a battery during a race. Is the amp load constant during a race? I dont know? I guess discharging nicads with bulbs is better than nothing? I seem to have my best results charging @ 5.0 volts and discharging @ 20 amps on the 4-cell spec packs.Whats working for everyone else?
Lee :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
question: how is everyones run time on these packs. I am seeing a real loss of run time on these packs alot quicker than I was expecting .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you short your packs? Shorting normally creates a little more voltage and the expense of runtime.

As far as amp draw during a race. It will change SLIGHTLY, only about 10% of what light bulbs do. For other than oval, the current changes as you get on and off the gas, most good dischargers can account for this. the 3300's seem to want a constant discharge though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes I dead short cycle @ charge 6amp. discharge @20amp we are running 6 min races and It is very important to have alot of run time. Looking for tips on batt. maintaince that will keep the run time up and still give me a good power maybe a little give and take

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Holy cow six mins in spec class,we run four mins and suck everything out of our six cell spec packs.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can do it with a 4-cell pack but need at least 300 sec of RT and of couse perfect gearing to pull it off. They ran 6 mins. at BMS at few times in 4-cell spec.

Here is how I cycle my 4 and 6 cell packs:

8 amp charge
180 delay
3 amp charge
15 delay
20 discharge
Take off Turbo 35 and put on a string of 6 bulbs. Leave on till batts cool down a little then dead short. Best 6-cell battery is 344 RT.

MED

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Mike,

I cycled through my six cell packs with the same settings as you but with 7 amps instead of 8.Best pack I got is 302 secs of runtime.Pretty pitiful in my books.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
SSracer6 said:
does a Tekin BC112 have a discharge mode? Ifso how do u get to it?
No the 112 doesn't have a discharge mode,Do you have the A or C,I've got a tekin discharger that was made to hook up to the 112C if you're interested.

·
Registered
385 Posts
well my batterys differ from prac. batts to race batts I kno my prac. batts peak out at about 7.40 to 7.50 volts "i think thats what my BC112 is set on"

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
med511 said:
You can do it with a 4-cell pack but need at least 300 sec of RT and of couse perfect gearing to pull it off. They ran 6 mins. at BMS at few times in 4-cell spec.

Here is how I cycle my 4 and 6 cell packs:

8 amp charge
180 delay
3 amp charge
15 delay
20 discharge
Take off Turbo 35 and put on a string of 6 bulbs. Leave on till batts cool down a little then dead short. Best 6-cell battery is 344 RT.

MED
Med-
Is this how you're charging your Spec packs on raceday,also? (Except for the 20a discharge!) If so,what are your dropbacks set at?
Thanks!
-George

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes, I charge at 8 amps on raceday and use an Integy Torpedo to bump with. Peak is set at .03 for everything....cycling and raceday.

Craig, that is acctually a good pack. The 344 is Steve's best pack by far. All his other stuff is not quite that high I dont think. Right around 300 is good.

My best 4-cell pack is around 295 RT and 4.45 voltage.

MED

1 - 20 of 33 Posts