Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack Travis' post so here they are. One of my favorites and all I did was add some decals and clearcoat. These were thrown in the Johnny Jam goodie bags. I think I'll have to find some more and break out the decals again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fantastic Gassers man. Too bad JL won't bring back the Willys Gassers again. They ve been stonewalling for almost 2x years, when asked to produce them again. I tried to enlist some help on JLTALK.COM, but I was told I am bashing or ragging on JL. My thread was completely removed from that site. The site also told me JL lost money on the Gasser line, and they aren't going to do the WILLYS ever. What a shame. It was the best line ever put out by JL.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Dadvball said:
I didn't want to hijack Travis' post so here they are.
What a truly thoughtful guy you are, Bill

Dadvball said:
These were thrown in the Johnny Jam goodie bags. I think I'll have to find some more and break out the decals again.
Your customs in every Goody Bag were hands down the biggest hit of Johnny Jam, Bill, everyone was awestruck by both your creativity and your generosity

No doubt, there will be another Johnny Jam this year - as soon as this mess about Fest gets a little more cleared up - and we can only hope that Bill can come up with another round of customs. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
that green one ended up coiming home with me (along with another one of Bill's customs) Here it is with it's stock counterpart.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
ECchopper said:
that green one ended up coiming home with me (along with another one of Bill's customs) Here it is with it's stock counterpart.

'You wouldn't think the original car could be improved on, but then here comes Bill! ;) :p

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the compliments guys! I have fun decaling these little cars and I'm glad you like them.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Bill, you allready know how much I love your decal customs. As I have said befor, it's a very fine line between a sweet decal job and a bunch of stickers!

On a quick tech question, since you are working on top of the orgional paint, to your clear coat the decals once finished?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ward, I have a small bottle of Testors Clear, and I just brush it on in a thin coat. It's thinner than the paint and it spreads pretty good. Sometimes I'll even brush the whole car. I use it a lot on the headlights, tail lights, bumpers, and painted door handles.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I would love to be able to apply stickers to cars like that.

How about a "how to" [with pics.] on your technique for putting them on?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
travis1960 said:
I would love to be able to apply stickers to cars like that.

How about a "how to" [with pics.] on your technique for putting them on?
Not much to it really. I get the decals from Radical Decals and he includes directions. Once I've figured out what and where to put the decal, I usually cut them with a very sharp pair of scissors. The decals aren't individual, so you have to cut very close to it, leaving a small border. I'll dip it in warm water for about 10 seconds, and then let it sit on a paper towel for about 20 seconds. Tweezers are very handy due to the size of the decal, and I use the pointed round tooth picks to position it, and then blot the excess water with a Q-tip. This can be tricky sometimes as the decal has a tendency to move, so gently slip one toothpick under an edge, and reposition it with the second toothpick. I wait 24 hours before I apply the clearcoat with a brush.

One decal at a time, one side of the car at a time, and be carefull when handling the car. The decals will slide or end up on your fingers otherwise.
It can be time consuming, but you'll be happy with the results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts