Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp, now live and running until Thursday, September 23rd! Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to remember the name of an old toy. Well not really a toy but a sculpting type of kit. You bought this thing that was a block of plaster. You were supposed to chip away the plaster type material and you would end up with a sculture. You weren't really sculpting it as the figure or whatever was already done and imbeded in the plaster. It was obviously made of a harder material than the stuff you chipped away and you couldn't mess it up. Came out perfect every time.

I can't recall what objects (figures, whatever) were inside but were probably figures.

I do recall that my friends and I said this chipping away takes to long and would just hit it with a hammer. Instant scupture. LOL!

Anyone remember this?

Thanks,

James :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I do indeed remember that. It actually WAS called "Chip Away"... different sets, too.. I think there were sports figures, maybe an animal set...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Yeah, it was fun. The first one even fooled the old man. He saw me chipping away and probably figured there is a waste of money. And when it was done he did a double take trying to figure out how the heck I sculped the figure so well. My mom and I had a great laugh over that. LOL!

James :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yeah!!! I had a Chip Away set too! Mine was a Sports theme as well. That was yet another vein attempt by Pop to get me more intested in sports than in monsters. ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ah, memory lane. I believe I had a Scooby Doo one, and I did manage to put a scratch in my figure while chipping away. I think it came with paint also.

Larry

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Had one as a kid. Best I can recall it was a sports figure. Saw something very similar at Hobby Lobby; you chip out dino bones and then assemble the skeleton.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts