Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The tower build is past the half way point, with the completion of the second side panel assembly adding the last section of windows this morning. Bracing has been added to each side of the PVC pipe section to help correctly seat the panel when I go to install it. Bracing has been added to the garden exterior wall where the dome will rest, a braced has been added for the floor of the garden to attach to and last the lounge area floor has been installed. Along with lots of filler putty to the joint sections of the end caps and base of the tower. The shaded area on the side panel marks where the cross section will attach to the other side of the tower when this is finished.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The main shell of the tower is finished sitting in this shot with the garden deck setting in place. I was very surprised to find I had only 4 small spots that need more work with a dab of putty and sanding, all the other many joints and seams filled in very well. In the garden area I am making another change from the comic layout, I'm moving the stairs from you enter the upper and lower deck, by walking up or down the stairs directly at them. to the stairs running along side the upper deck wall with one set of steps running under the other set. Time to start building the garden....

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Working on the garden area on the top of the tower, in the drawing below at the bottom of the shot is the original idea with growing tables sticking out from the side walls like fingers. I built the first side and in cementing a raised edge to the rounded tables I melted the whole section, and a small spot on my MDF board on my work bench. I sat back for a bit, looked at the project and decided that these tables look good on paper, in the comic they add to the look of the growing area. But if you need to leave quickly or in an emergency do you really want to be running round and round all those tables to exit. New design is the upper drawing tables and exterior wall tables are assembled, right now I'm building the two sections of stairs in the end wall at the lounge area. On the second tower I'm going to do away with the lounge area and just do a full garden area.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Not a lot of progress, but a lot has been going on as I noted in the last post, I made some changes in the layout of the garden area on the tower, I turned the stairs, so they run alongside the lounge wall, one running below the other not a big change. As I looked over my design, I decided the growing tables running from the walls into the garden looked good on paper. But was this design practical, if you were working in a garden like this and something happened, you needed to get to the exit right now would you want to zig zag through a maze? No, so I redesigned the table layout with one running around the full outside wall of the garden, then 4 other tables running the length of the garden with walkways between each table. Not as appealing to the eye, but more realistic in function and design.
A small set back I failed to catch when I attached the lounge deck, I should have cut down the top of the wall to allow for the thickness of the deck. Now I have had to go around the edge and attach strips of styrene to bring it all back up to level. Inside the garden more strips of styrene the thicken the side walls and bracing for the deck to set on. Building the stair wall and railings, then doing lots of test fitting of these pieces so when I paint them, they will fit correctly. All the grow tables are built waiting to be primed, tower has had several spots filled with putty and sanded with 220 then 600 grit paper. Right now sitting in the sink drying so I can spray everything with a coat of primer tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Decks, walls, stairs and growing tables are painted the shell has a second coat of primer. Decks and stairs are installed, growing tables in the middle of the floor are just a test fit, wall growing tables are just setting on the deck. I have yet to install 3 layers of 30 x 155 strip styrene to form the table base.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,194 Posts
Now I wish I'd saved those comics.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts