Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
So this will give you an idea how the finished project I hope will look the cap on top of the tower is the form to make the clear dome for the garden.
IMG_20200505_055856.jpg

At first I didn't include this second image but the more I looked at it the more interesting it seemed, kind of like a ground level view of the station.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Seams are all filled with putty and sanded smooth, primer has been applied then given a light sanding with fine grit paper during the sanding a seam cracked I didn't catch that at the time. First coat of white paint applied took 3/4ers of a one ounce bottle to do the top and sides. Putty is drying on the cracked seam now.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Cross section is painted and staged the chairs, storage compartment doors, control panels and telescope are just sitting on the floor of the observatory. Now with the tower setting in place you can see how deceptive the comic book drawings of the station was, the tower always looked so trim, yet build to scale and wide enough to hold a 25 foot long space mobile it now looks fat and bulky.

·
BANNED
7,825 Posts
very nice, I like where this is going.
I know you are trying to replicate something from comic books and I think your rendition is great.
I am just wondering about the original designer who put two "grow" pods directly in the way of the observatory?
;)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,166 Posts
very nice, I like where this is going.
I know you are trying to replicate something from comic books and I think your rendition is great.
I am just wondering about the original designer who put two "grow" pods directly in the way of the observatory?
;)
Just rotate the station and your view is clear. :)

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Started adding the outer panels to the first tower, I had the curved tower base and the two curved end caps assembled from PVC pipe and strip styrene filler. I attached a crude drawing of the end cap build procedure, basic information you'll cut the PVC length wise into 4 equal widths. 1 piece of PVC will make two end sections, 1 piece of PVC cut for the base will make two tower base sections. These are cut into quarters because the PVC is slightly narrower than the 2-inch domes, so I split one end cap into two sections, I used the 2-inch dome as my guide as I filled the center cut with strips of .040 x .150 strips of sheet styrene cemented together, until the two sections fit the 2-inch dome. Same procedure you use for the base cap. When I assembled the three pieces I made a (L) shaped tray out of pieces of scrap plywood to get the sections as square as I could using basic tools. As I started building the first outer wall out of .040 sheet styrene when I did my measurements I found one tower was 1/16th of an inch out of alinement (easy fix) and one side of a tower was 1/16th of an inch higher that the others (some filing with a mill file and that problem was corrected.) The doors for the space mobiles I marked the opening location, drilled small holes along the interior edge of the marks, cut out the remaining plastic with a razor knife and filed the openings smooth. For the windows again I cut the styrene sheet sanded the cut edge smooth, marked the window locations then cut and cemented .040 x .125 strip styrene filler pieces, then cemented a strip of .020 styrene (the drawing shows .010 styrene, but it seemed to thin.) After all the pieces dry I take a course hobby file and remove excess cement, then sand smooth and apply putty to fill any gaps. I'll cement one piece of .080 x .080 styrene along each edge to give the panel more area to attach to the curved end cap when assembled.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The first exterior panel for the towers is assembled, this is the one with doors for the two space mobile hangers. I plan on putting one hanger interior inside this tower with the door open, the other door closed along with my upgraded space mobile docking platform. Right now the panel is just resting on top of a box and a couple of pieces of square wood, so I could take this shot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's so great to see this project started again. It was one of my very favorites here... how long ago was that?
It always seemed to me that the SS's sides, while the same thickness when viewed from the front, when viewed from the side, were slightly tapered, so that the tops were a bit wider than the bottoms?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I couldn't even manage the shape created here so I'm not too bothered about the tapering shape of the comics! Again, I doubt this thing was ever drawn out in any kind of schematic form and certainly changed from illustration to illustration and issue to issue. I'd kill to have a kit of this. What adhesive are you using for the PVC-to-styrene bond?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I attached the first side wall panel, then when I pulled away the wax paper it was resting on to dry, I found a couple of areas did not go down flush with the PVC pipe end walls and base section. My fault thinking (which always gets me in trouble) the one large weight I used would make the whole sheet of styrene sit flush all the way around. I've been looking at fixes that did not require breaking the styrene sheet from the PVC and trying again to glue it in place, I figure that plan would do more damage than anything else I try, and a last resort. So I tried these options, the gaps were at the sides of the hanger doors and along the bottom of the doors in each corner, then one along one side.
Idea #1 place .050 strips of styrene and build the area up in layers, but the small area between the doors and the PVC left that idea looking like hills in the Napa Valley.
Idea #2 just slosh filler putty in the area and try and try to sand it smooth, but again the narrow area to work with left the area curving inward and looked really bad.
Final solution I took a wood rasp (seen in photo) and using the Corse side of the blade, I'm trying to reshape the PVC end walls shaving them down where they will be flush with the styrene sheet. Adding some filler putty now and then and then another round of filing till it looks right. This idea seems to be working, next panel weights all around.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I was looking at a post someone else wrote about the space station model they built, they mentioned the towers were to narrow to hold the space mobiles. Using the dimensions from the comic book and my design I threw together a very basic scale drawing of the hanger bay of the station. Keep in mind the overhead crane is not shown or work benches or elevator, I do have the stairs from level 2 and my idea of a sled that extends out to capture the space mobile using magnetic plates and a roller system that can move it up and sideways to center the craft. If the space mobile is 25 feet in length.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts