Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kept thinking I would not do this, but the results so far are turning out better than I thought so I will probably jinx myself and post some progress photos. I started this darn project a few years back and that attempt ended in the junk pile, the biggest hurdle was the darn domes on top of the gardens. This time I made a form first thing to cast the clear domes using a garage-built Vac-U-Form box (right now in search of a cheep toaster over to cook the plastic in.) Frist photo is my idea scale drawing for the project the model is going to be roughly 10-inches tall and 12-inches wide the scale is 1-inch = 200-inches.
CROSS SECTION:
The cross section is 192 feet long by 192 feet wide by 24 feet tall in the comic book where the cross section joins the two towers the outer wall is flat, then extends to the forward edge which is angled straight down. I tried to match this, but the front panel extend down at the wrong angel (in the comics it looked to go straight down, with this shape it angled outward and down.) To get it to look close to the correct shape, I angled the side panels inward to match the front. The observatory dome is made from a 6-inch security camera cover that I cut about three quarters of an inch off the base and the mounting flange, using a zip cutting bit and sanding the base smooth. The telescope is made from scratch styrene tubing and sheet pieces. In the background you can see tower 1 under construction with a scale space mobile sitting in the garage area, the tower is upside down resting on the form I made to Vac-U-Form the domes for the two gardens. The end caps are 2-inch clear acrylic domes that the PVC pips was cemented to, the pipe is slightly smaller that the domes. So I had to split each end section in half and fill the gap with strips of styrene to get the right shape.
The Space Mobiles the comic book gave a length and weight in one edition using those I came up with a length of 25 feet long, 6 feet tall and 7 feet wide. The space mobile in photo 2 is made out of a block of wood then filed and sanded to shape.

·
Administrator
25,809 Posts
Looking good. I watched an episode with the Lady from the Green Mist that past weekend. Maybe ahead of its time back then, but a little campy compared to now days.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good. I watched an episode with the Lady from the Green Mist that past weekend. Maybe ahead of its time back then, but a little campy compared to now days.
This is the ship from the comic book Space Family Robinson which was before "Lost in Space." When Irwin Allen came out with the TV show Dell added the lost in Space to the title. The first season of the show tried to be serious after that it went straight down hill, with exception of a couple of episodes.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Excellent work so far. I have always wanted to build a model of Space Station One but I always got myself frustrated because it looked different in nearly every comic. Proportions and size were inconsistent between issues, sometimes even from one page to the other. The apparent number of decks in the main section, the height of the towers and the shape of the towers as well as the angle of the towers relative to each other, that is the one thing that drove me crazy about the comics. I have all of the comics saved on disc so I may go back through them and work up plans to create an idealized version of the station that I can work from. Seeing your work has inspired me to revisit it and perhaps finally build it.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent work so far. I have always wanted to build a model of Space Station One but I always got myself frustrated because it looked different in nearly every comic. Proportions and size were inconsistent between issues, sometimes even from one page to the other. The apparent number of decks in the main section, the height of the towers and the shape of the towers as well as the angle of the towers relative to each other, that is the one thing that drove me crazy about the comics. I have all of the comics saved on disc so I may go back through them and work up plans to create an idealized version of the station that I can work from. Seeing your work has inspired me to revisit it and perhaps finally build it.
In the comics the cross section is listed as 224 feet long and wide when I drew up my plan I shortened it to 192 feet or 12 x 12 because it looked out of proportion to most drawings in the comics, and my first scale drawing at 14 x 14 inches 224 feet looked way wrong. My towers are slightly taller than the comics design at 14 decks.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've been working on the observatory putting in the side wall and floor braces, installing the floor but first I had to make the steps and walls going from the Observatory deck down into the rest of the ship. In the comic there were just 3 steps down and a curved piece of metal as a railing, my design has a person descending a full 7 feet down into a well to clear the top of the dome wall, with side and center railings. This unit was cemented to the floor before it was installed, after painting the floor and stairs I need to attach the wall panels around the dome ring.
I am surprised my simple tool idea worked for attaching the side panels, 2 pieces of square balsa wood and a C clamp I glued a couple of inches of wall then set the balsa wood clamp in place (see photo) and worked my way around the ring repeating the process, I left a gap at the other end and cut another strip of .030 styrene and starting at the stairs again now I'm working the opposite direction then connecting the two sections. To hide the joint line I'll just install a control panel or maybe some venting duct work.
I cut the styrene slightly taller than the deepest point I found measuring around the floor, and used a large mill file to shave the excess styrene down to flush with the top of the station deck. You can see the file in the bottom right corner of the picture, about one-third of the wall has been shaved down so far. The maid has the week off, so my desk is a mess.

·
Administrator
25,809 Posts
This is the ship from the comic book Space Family Robinson which was before "Lost in Space." When Irwin Allen came out with the TV show Dell added the lost in Space to the title. The first season of the show tried to be serious after that it went straight down hill, with exception of a couple of episodes.
Didnt realize (remember) there was a previous comic book series. I always thought it was an adaptation only from the book The Swiss Family Robinson. 🤙

·
Registered
565 Posts
Didnt realize (remember) there was a previous comic book series. I always thought it was an adaptation only from the book The Swiss Family Robinson. 🤙
It predates the TV show by several years, the first issue was in 1962. The comic was very different from the series, Craig and June Robinson with their teenage twins Tim and Tam are on board Space Station one when it gets hurled across the galaxy with no way to return home. The massive station could land and it had auxiliary craft, the Spacemobiles which could also fly in a planet's atmosphere. I fell in love with the concept behind the comic and I still wish someone would adapt it into a series.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You're smart to change the angle of the towers so they're straight instead of angled in--one of many aspects of the design that makes it hard to model (and I'm sure changed from issue to issue). I would love to figure out a way to do this--I've been trying to figure out a build for the aquashuttle from Star Trek - The Animated Series which actually has some similar shapes--I just don't have the skill set to create some of these curves...

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Assembling the front and rear panels right now I never have much luck trying to cut square openings and both these panels have 3 openings running from the top to the bottom of the panel on each side. The top of the panel is the widest part at 6-inches across the base is 8 scale feet shorter, I cut the panels out of .040 styrene sheet 1 and a half inches tall. Then marked the opening locations and cut the ends off the main panel, at the edge of the inner most opening. Now I cut pieces of strip styrene longer than needed and cemented them in place using .040 x .188 for the openings and .040 x .125 styrene strip for the filler section between the openings. Next measure the distance from the last opening to the end of the cross section, cut the amount needed from the first piece you cut off the end of the panel and cement in place. To give the cemented strips some strength I placed a piece of .030 styrene on the back side of the panel, this piece covers the 6 openings and will be painted black to act as windows and air lock openings. I place all the parts on some wax paper, because glue will go everywhere but that can be sanded and scraped with a knife blade to smooth it down. This is the same process I will use for adding windows to both towers and the sides of the cross section, also the space mobile garage doors. See if the attached scribble helps you get the idea "the red marks are your cut lines."
Station 11.JPG

·
Registered
328 Posts
I love your aquashuttle build but I still want to figure out a way to do the correct upper hull shape (the whole cockpit/operations area). I would love to know how you did the sides of the hull which are exactly right. It's such a simple design but with a lot of difficult shapes to duplicate...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts