Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics of my current pod build

Kit includes some PGMS photo-etch, TSDS decals/vinyl kit, and the VooDoo FX light kit:

Front w/photo-etch:
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab301/kdaracal123/101_5687.jpg

Scratch microphone:
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab301/kdaracal123/101_5693.jpg

Inner wall:
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab301/kdaracal123/101_5697.jpg

Attempting to put light kit switch on front hull to simulate scanner detail and be functional on/off switch:
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab301/kdaracal123/101_5692.jpg

Pilot controls w/TSDS decals:
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab301/kdaracal123/101_5688.jpg

Awesome solar scanner from PGMS (unpainted):
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab301/kdaracal123/101_5701.jpg

Using Tamiya gloss silver, med. gunmetal for exterior, and Testors light ivory for interior

More to come...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Modelling tricks learned, rediscovered, or stolen off of others:

1) Taymia paints really ARE better than Testors-usually.
2) 3-M blue tape is a good masker in a pinch.
3) Using tape on the back of photo-etch to keep them from flying across the room while cutting works.
4) Using a good set of sprue cutters will change everything.
5) Good liquid masking works really nicely.
6) Regular fine-grit sanding sticks work on photo-etch metal.
7) Running warm water over cold spray cans brings them to temperature fast and boosts their spray power.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I just wish I had the knowledge to make that interior look more realistic.

That one gentleman who posted those beautiful Flying Sub interior pics was able to make it look like a movie set. It was clean, not overly weathered, but looked less "flat'. Wish I could observe a guy like that for a few sessions.........I'm always fighting that "toy" look.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
That's not good. :(

Did you look behind that thing that sits next to the doohicky?

Seriously, though, that's a major pisser with the switch and all that you've done on the part. I hope you find it really soon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i found it!
it was next to the hoober-doober.
i have a slide switch on the inner wall where i can reach it with my finger.
now my batt underneath the main control panel.
problem:
if i glue the front on, how will i ever acess the batt?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a little more progress...

TSDS vinyl details drying:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I followed Henry's advice and used a wooden burnishing tool I found at a local art supply store to rub out all the left over soapy water. This was invaluable in applying the orange sticker. The color was perfect for me and so much easier than masking and painting. I suggest following the TSDS directions EXACTLY to achieve a super finish. I didn't do that with my PL J2 floor sticker...

Here's a video of the light kit from VooDoo installed:

[/ame][/IMG]

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW: My brother from Missouri wired up the light kit for me with his "mad skills"-------------Thanks, bro!!:wave:

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Looking fantastic, kdaracal; my only misgiving is your needing to "entomb" the battery, so I recommend that you conserve it for as long as possible. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking fantastic, kdaracal; my only misgiving is your needing to "entomb" the battery, so I recommend that you conserve it for as long as possible. :thumbsup:
Man, I know. And what will I do about acid leakage. I'm reconsidering.......

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm really liking this build. Thanks for sharing.

I was on the fence about using the orange vinyl decals on the exterior, but after your explanation and results, I'm sold.

·
www.tsdsinc.com
1,079 Posts
I followed Henry's advice and used a wooden burnishing tool I found at a local art supply store to rub out all the left over soapy water. This was invaluable in applying the orange sticker. The color was perfect for me and so much easier than masking and painting. I suggest following the TSDS directions EXACTLY to achieve a super finish. I didn't do that with my PL J2 floor sticker...
Wow -- truly excellent job with the viny exterior! It was never a real big seller, but I gotta say I think your pics have caused some folks to rethink! I've been selling them fairly well all week!

--Henry

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found the perfect solution!

thats my dilemma too. i want the batt under the controls but i'm trying to figure out if i can have the whole front of pod removable. it's holding up my whole project.

I snugged the front panel in as good as possible, (DRY) and then dug out some pin striping tape and covered the seam with the tape. This tape, purchased years ago, has sat in the bottom of my model junk drawer for years. It matched my paint exactly. The tape is pressure tape, with hardly any gooey glue. It comes off like Post-it notes. The photos catch the flaws, but the naked eye cannot see the minor flaws in regular light. I call it blind, dumb luck. Now I can run the 9 volt as much as I want and still have the option to take it out!

Yea, baby!!

Here's some pics:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Henry!

I want to thank Henry for all the cool decals and vinyl stock. What a bargain.

Between VooDoo FX, Paragraphix, and TSDS, I think I can say this is my first model approaching museum quality. I say that with humility. I pretty much stink on ice, otherwise!:wave:

I'll post a couple final photos after some paint touch-ups and the feet installation....

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know we can be the biggest critics of ourselves. Honestly this is a great looking build. You've done a great job and I really appreciate how you shared your experience; so when I get ready to tackle my Space Pod I can use some of your advice to complete mine.

Also, the switch came out great too.

Great idea with the tape I like the effect it shows.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts