Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this a while back and am trying to finish it up.

I'm almost done, I just have to paint a few details, clear coat it, and add the windows.

I'm not sure if I love the surface decals. They are more to scale
than engraved panel lines, but kind of look like decals.

I used the TSDS interior and Pam Am decals.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I have the old Aurora kit to build also.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Nice job!I really need to finish mine. I got the ParaGrafix's interior built (all 36 chairs!) and then ran out of motivation.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the ParaGrafix set also. I might attempt it for my original Aurora kit.

Those seats look intimidating!

·
High Priest of the NCC-1701-E
5,151 Posts
Your build looks very nice. Very clean. As far as how to make the decals looks less like decals, maybe if you did a light overspray with a thinned down mix of the white hull color? Or added a little light weathering? Maybe do a wash with black or grey acrylics? It would either look great or turn out looking like crap. Maybe you shouldn't take the chance.

For my own Clipper, I got the Pan Am decals from JT Graphics and the Paragrafix PE interior.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah, I've been toying with weathering it. I got the clear flat coat on today. That and lots off microsol/set
made the decals blend in well.
For me its the artwork. It just kind of looks weak. Part of it could be my goof on the top decal.

This weekend I'll finish the detail painting and put in the pilot windscreen. I'll probably use kyrstal clear
on the side windows.

Moebius said they might be re releasing this kit next year.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nice work!
The clipper is one of my favorite craft.

I do hope that Moebius does re-release it as I never managed to purchase that kit.
I have had to make do with my old Airfix version. And like the Aurora version it is not too accurate!

It would be great if they could sort out the rights to include the PanAm decals this time around.

Alien

Reactions: mach7

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the Aurora kit is accurate. The panel lines are way too big, but the shape is good. The shape of both
the Aurora kit and the Moebius kit are almost identical. Moebius says it is an all new kit,
not a repop of the old Aurora kit, but it has the engine room engravings of the old kit and the size is
identical.

If memory serves me, the Airfix kit is way too fat.

Yah, I was surprised to see that the PanAm decals were not included, luckily there are
aftermarket decal available.

Does Moebius have the 2001 license now? I thought I read that somewhere.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yes Moebius has the 2001 license right now- they are re-releasing the Clipper and the Moon Bus in the near future and looking at other subjects in the future. great work on your Clipper!

·
Registered
648 Posts
If memory serves me, the Airfix kit is way too fat.
Yes, you are correct it is a bit on the fat side and the cabin windows were too long. But the biggest problem is that the engines are way too high. The cabin windows were an easy correction on my model but the engine hump?? Not so much!
I also had the re-release of the Airfix kit so it was also missing PanAm decals. Ahh Licensing!

Alien

·
Registered
648 Posts
I wonder what the legal issue could be with using the Pan Am name and logo, since Pan American World Airways ceased to exist in 1991.
Even though the Pan Am company no longer exists, you can bet that someone still owns the trademarks for everything, including the logos.
just in case someone wants to start up a new company and call itself Pan Am. There could be money to be made!

Alien

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The PanAm name, and all rights to it are owned by a New Hampshire railway company. Guilford Transportation.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I'm not sure if I love the surface decals. They are more to scale than engraved panel lines, but kind of look like decals.
Yeah. I wonder if they could be improved by changing the sheen on different panels?
1 - paint/gloss ship
2 - apply decals
3 - matte coat overall
4 - mask some panels, spray with semi-flat clear? (maybe have a different sheen on various white panels?)

It might work, it might not.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good idea Steve.

I've basically finished her up. I'm vacillating on weathering.

I'm up to step 3, Ive flat coated the ship. That helped the decals blend in
As I hoped it would.

It would not be too hard to mask and spray some gloss on her.

·
High Priest of the NCC-1701-E
5,151 Posts
You know just a little scorching around the engine exhaust vents and maybe some on the leading edge of the wings and underside of the nose and some steaks on the underside would do it. It's amazing to me how some light weathering adds such a sense of realism to a subject. Maybe look at photos of one of the NASA space shuttles for inspiration.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yah, I'm thinking of some black/metalic eye shade around the engines, OMS, and retros.

I had good luck on my X-20 with some reentry scoring.

That is a silver/white, I wonder if that could be replicated subtly on white?

The effect needs to be very light, but noticeable.

I think I was a bit too subtle on my moonbus,

One of these days I'll try the multi layer painting that you have such good results with.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts