Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to work out how to do a "When Worlds Collide" landing scene for a year or two. I think I finally got it.

The Space Ark

The base it just styrofoam with the landing trail gouged out. Woodland Scenics paste gave me the basic topography. Then I built up the snow mounds and trails with railroad dirt mixed with Elmer's glue. a sealing coat of house paint (it's nice and thick!) killed the foam cell texture and rounded off the mounds. More coats of Elmer's and superglue (to seal cracks) - there was a LOY of drying-time waiting on this one!

I opened up the entry door under the wing. there IS a crew door on the wall in there, but the 'lobby' was way too small for my eyes to do much detailing on.

·
Registered
416 Posts
John,

You have done an outstanding job! I believe this is the first time I have seen someone create this diorama setting. The way you shaped the "snow" looks very convincing. I agree that at 1/350 scale(?) it is difficult to add any people details. I love this movie and the Space Ark design, so I always enjoy seeing a build up of the model.

Phillip1

·
Starship Class
11,621 Posts
Yep, never seen that particular part of the journey depicted before. Good choice :thumbsup: I was beginning to think all we'd ever see would be "under-construction" versions of the ship.

Excellent job on everything. Nice capture of the silvery sheen.

Why does the shape and finish of this ship make me look for a red star up on the tail fin? :freak:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, never seen that particular part of the journey depicted before. Good choice :thumbsup: I was beginning to think all we'd ever see would be "under-construction" versions of the ship.

Excellent job on everything. Nice capture of the silvery sheen.

Why does the shape and finish of this ship make me look for a red star up on the tail fin? :freak:

More likely a Swastika - the shape is basically a V-2 with different fins.

And I just realized I forgot to put the nose-needle on! Oh well, I ain't taking all those pictures over! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts