Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have, or knows of, a site where I can get some decent pics of the Space 1999 Stun Gun? :confused:
I now have the resin kit and I want to make it a second season version with the KILL/STUN switch. I want to make the switch and the trigger movable but I am having some difficulty finding any reference pics.
Thanks for any help. Later Petseal :wave:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I think that may be an optical illusion caused by the inside front part of the gun being slanted forward, while the outside front part of the gun remains roughly square.

Checkout Opus Penguin's link pictures, though that version doesn't have a Kill/Stun switch I think it's otherwise the same.

I'll do some more checking just in case though. I've been mistaken before, could be mistaken on this one as well...

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Just did a web search and came up with these pix:

Stun Gun I

Stun Gun II

Addendum: Oh, Hey Chuck. We crossed posts! I'm pretty certain about the taper and the nozzles. It's the only significant part of the geometry of the stun gun that most replicas miss, seemingly. At least in the ones I've seen (which is far from exhaustive!).

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
If those pics are accurate then I was definitely wrong, Ignatz. Though the mockups in them don't look like they are in scale, which doesn't mean they aren't necessarily proportionally accurate.

I was hoping to dig up some photos of an original gun from a handfull of old glossy 8 x 10's and slides I have, but no luck.
In the only pics I have that have a weapon in them, the weapon is holstered.

Anybody have any good screengrabs from the actual series or links to screengrab sites please pipe up!

While some parts of my schematic, may or may not be exactly correct depending on that front slant and nozzle situation, it does appear the Kill/Stun detail in them is accurate.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I don't have any screengrabs, but I do have a kit based on the drawings Chuck posted. The side view is a bit too squared off compared to the real props, a problem that the kit manufacturer even acknowledged via email. The drawing does a great job on the Season Two slide switch on top, however.

The kits on Opus' links are pretty accurate to the real beast. The stun guns were a bit taller than wide in profile. This isn't a knock on Chuck's posts, this is my contribution to a serious discussion on Space: 1999 props.

Regarding the switch you have to be selective about which episode/season you pick - there's a Season One switch closeup (episode where the Alphans turn to cro-magnonites) that is totally different from the ones Ignatz posted above.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Any pics of your kit, Petseal?

I'm interested in seeing how it looks, maybe even with a ruler and/or hand in the shot to give it a sense of scale.

As ChrisDoll has pointed out, there seems to be a variance in both kits and original props as well. Any details you can give us on your particular kit Petseal?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Dave Metzner said:
Yama's collection of "Space 1999" reference material is, shall we say "unique"!?
LOL

Dave :D
I'm thinking we got lucky. Of all the things he could have posted pictures of, I think we got the most family friendly. :devil:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a '76-'77 era Alpha Moonbase Technical manual with a blueprint of the stun gun and various other gear. If anyone is interested, I'll post large pics on my website.

Steve

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That's where Chuck_PR's diagrams on page 1 came from.

I've often wondered if there were variants in the prop's body shape as well - some did appear thinner than others.

Does anyone have an idea on who is producing the "definitive" version?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First: THANKS to everyone who took the time to post here. Your help and input is highly appreciated! :thumbsup:

"Opus Penguin" & "Ignats": THANKS for the links. Very helpful.

"Chuck P.R.": Thanks for reminding me that I have the Space 1999 Manual. As soon as I say the thumb-nail I recognized it.
I will also try to post a pic of the kit I have. It did not come with any information (manufacturer, item number, etc), so I am assuming it is a garage kit!

Finally many THANKS to "yamahog" for the pic he posted. I must confess I am a little confused! Was that prop used by Martin Landau's or Barbara Bain's character on the show?

Later, Petseal :wave:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts