Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started my Space:1999 Hawk using the AMT 1:200 Apollo Saturn 1B and Saturn V rockets. The original studio model used the Airfix 1:144 versions of the same rockets for the main body but I decided to cheap out. I found the AMT kits at Hobby Lobby and this week their online coupon was 40% off one item so I got the two kits that I needed for less than 45.00 after taxes. The Airfix kits would have cost over 3 times that.
I started with the main body, using 4 Saturn 1B first stage tank halves and two Saturn V second stage tank halves. I glued two of the 1B tank halves together end to end and then glued those to the end of the S V second stage half.

The first thing I noticed after doing this is that the 1B tank sections looked too long and the flat sections between the tanks was offset compared to the Airfix kit, also the AMT 1B halves is missing the molded in ring above the flats that the Airfix kit has. I measured the 1B halves and compared it to measurements based on pics of the 1:144 based original miniature as well as available blueprints and it was 24mm too long. I cut off the excess length and then removed the offset flat sections, the openings will be covered by a flat strip that runs the length of the part so it is not necessary to fill in the cut sections new flat sections will be made and put in the proper places at either end of the 1B sections.

I then used the Saturn V interstage piece and the SV tank ends from the first and second stages to make the large tank that attaches to the rear of the Hawk. I had to add strips inside the ends of the interstage to get a good fit. Four of the ullage rockets that is molded into the piece will have to be removed since the Airfix kit has only four.

The next step is the lunar module pieces that are used for detailing the rear bulkhead. In the pic one of the Airfix LM pieces are shown for size comparison. First thing I noticed is the AMT LM ascent stage pieces are done in right and left halves and the Airfix LM was done in front and rear halves. that means the AMT LM has to be glued together and then split to give the proper look. The descent stages have to be done this way also.

I plan on taking on the nose section later today. I think I may be able to do it fairly easily, the shape is not all that complicated.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I love the Hawk and am aware of most of its component parts. I'm glad you're chronicling this build here. It will be very interesting to see this come together.

I plan on taking on the nose section later today. I think I may be able to do it fairly easily, the shape is not all that complicated.
Wow. I wish I could say that! Please take lots of pictures as you're building the nose. I want to learn!

·
Registered
789 Posts
It looks like this will end up being around 16 inches, the same size as the medium Hawk so you should be able to use the F-1 engines from the Revell 1/96 Saturn V kit for the back engine bell like the original studio model.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like this will end up being around 16 inches, the same size as the medium Hawk so you should be able to use the F-1 engines from the Revell 1/96 Saturn V kit for the back engine bell like the original studio model.
I may do that if I can't get the look of the scratchbuilt engine bell just right.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More Progress

I realized that before I could start on the nose I needed to finalize the overall width of the model so I used .040 plastic to build the boxes to fit between the hull halves. This is the one for the rear section:

And glued into place:

And the front box section:

I need to glue that in and then make the end piece that will give me the root shape of the nosecone.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More progress

Main body assembled, time to start the detailing.

Started framing up the nose section:

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
More Progress

Finally got to work some more on this, real life and that pesky thing called work keeps getting in the way.
Did some more framing on the nosecone section, I will fill in the edges around the window recesses with pieces of strip plastic. After that has dried a few days I will then file and sand it to the proper curved shape. the larger areas behind the windows can be covered with .020 sheet plastic and then blended along the edges. I need to go to back to Hobby Lobby to see if I can find an egg shape that is the proper size to finish off the bottom of the nose section. I will heat form pieces of .015 sheet plastic to make the individual raised panels on the nose section.

In the background of the last photo behind the nose can be seen the .020 sheet plastic that I have rolled into tubes. These will be used to make the side boosters. I plan on running hot water through these to get them to hold the shape.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
this is great! I have the mpc one, but haven't built in 25 years! This is a primer for all things Hawk!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,283 Posts
When the kit first came out a billion years ago, I bought four of them and did one of my first-ever kitbashes. Sure wish they'd rerelease that one.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I asked Jamie at R2 on the blog about this.

Here is what I said:

Hey Jamie,

I know this is off topic, but Does MPC own the Space 1999 molds?

With all the re-release of the kits from my past it would be great to see the Eagle and the Hawk kits again.

Here is what he said:

Mach7- As we say, anything is a possibility…

Maybe if we all want it, we should tell them. :thumbsup:
I am assuming they have the MPC molds.

EDIT:

Sorry Kenlee, I didn't meen to hijack your thread.

Great build so far!

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When the kit first came out a billion years ago, I bought four of them and did one of my first-ever kitbashes. Sure wish they'd rerelease that one.
Interesting variant, I like it. I would probably have done something like that if I could have found any of these on the shelves in the 1970's. I saw and bought plenty of Eagles and in fact I attempted to create my own Hawk from an Eagle kit, it wasn't even close but I was happy with it. I never once saw a Hawk kit on local store shelves, if I had I would have bought more of them than the Eagle.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nose job

Filled in the sections under the windows with various pieces of .080, .060, .040 and .020 strip and let it sit for a couple of days. Took the file to it this afternoon and I am mostly satisfied with the results, the port side is nearly perfect, needs only a little filler:

Starboard side needs a little more attention, a couple of places where more strip plastic needs to be glued in but not bad for the first time I ever tried something like this:

Will glue strips in place to fill in between the viewports tonight. The recess apparent around the bottom of the window recesses will get a piece of .060 x .040 strip added and then blended in to give the recessed window detail that is apparent in the original.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More details

More work done to the tail section, added the Replicated LM struts and the tanks. I am not happy with the size of the tanks, they are too small. I have parts leftover from my Revell Gemini that may have the correct size tanks, I just need to send out a search party into the depths of the closet to find it.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts