Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Space 1999 Eagle Transporter [now completed]

Hi Gang,

In case you where wondering why there are no updates on my PL Refit.
Well .. I finally got a kit I used to own when I was like 6 years old.

The Space 1999: Eagle Transporter :D

Now over 20 years later I got hold of the kit again and started immediate construction.
I do not intend to accurize her to an overwhelming Refit style extend so she’ll match the studio model perfectly. You see… originally I just wanted to get her together, apply a nice paint job and be done with it. You know.. to get back what I lost so long ago. To hold the eagle in my hands again… :D

But then detailing devil struck me.

The caging that connects the cockpit and engine sections was lacking stability because the lower row of pipes was missing. So I added these and glued together all the major components.

Some sanding and gluing later I had the engine section connected to the cockpit (the hexagonal tank/ball structure next to the strongback caging in the above picture). But the engine cluster looked too barren…not complex enough to be an engine. So I cramped out some old resistors left over form the AMT Refit and added some hickededoosdothats to the four engine fuel/turbine whatever tanks. But still it did not look the way I wanted it to look. So bought a 1 mm styrene rod and added the caging that surrounds the four engine tanks just where the exhaust bells connect to them. At some scenes of the show I saw that the rear module had some kind of superstructure that extend from its for corners to wards the middle of the rear engine cluster in a trapezoid manner (don’t know if this can be understood). So I added this pipes as well as a 5 mm styrene rod centred at the rear cage meeting the four pipes to give more stability.

Now I was a lot happier with the engine cluster and had originally intended to leave it that way. But then the four balls shapes looked out of place. They needed some more purpose then just being connected to the engine tanks. Soooo… I added more piping connecting the balls to the engine tanks in a bit semi symmetric way. The upper right one connects to the lowest engine. The upper left to the left engine. The lower left to the upper most engine and the lower right to the low right engine. Don’t know why I did it that way.. it just added some complexity to the engine cluster. You can see the details here:

This is NOT the way they are connected at the studio model. Its my own interpretation. For the Eagle professionals around here… just think of it as my eagle being fitted with a mark 2 engine cluster :D

The passenger module is not glued to the frame work but fits tight in-between the cockpit section and engine cluster. There will be some modifications to the passenger module too.. but I don’t know their extend as of now. Depends on how and when the detailing devil strikes me again :D

But overall this kit will be an 80% out of the box build. Some gabbing and misfits I intend to cover up with the paint job and am generally following the credo “ its not a flaw.. it’s a feature!” on this build.

After all this Eagle might be in service for …how many years now. Having gone through god knows how many crash landings by John Koenig (Commander of Moonbase Alpha) So if you see a flaw in the final build.. its supposed to be that way :p :D

That’s it for now.. have fun

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh… almost forgot… here is what she looks like right now:

I guess she’ll get a primer coating by next week.

Stay tuned for more updates.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a little update for those who care.

I added a few greeblies to the shoulder pads and applied a primer to highlight what needs to be taken care off. The passenger module has not been modified or given a layer of color. Am still not sure what to do with the side walls that meet the cockpit and engine sections. But I do know that I don’t like the way they look now. … well I’ll find something I like sooner or later.

That’s it for now

·
Registered
217 Posts
Which kit is that?

The faces of the passenger module which face the engine/cockpit modules should look very much like the opposing faces. A door and a structure. This is what I can remember...I have some drawings somewhere.

I love the Eagle transporter.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I have.

These are real Eagel fanatics.. if you know what I mean . They all work on the 22 and 44 Eagle and the ones building the AMT modify it so heavily that I am almost ashamed that I am not giving this eagle the full Refit.. if you know that I mean.

As I initially said.. this is a model form my childhood. I want to build it without spending too much time to accurize the flaws. There are certain things I want it to have, especially a complex looking engine cluster and a decent paint job. I intend to paint it so it looks like its been in service for some time. For example the engine cluster was broken when I got the kit so I had to fix it up. But I left a bit of seam I want to disguise as welding work.. you know like the eagle crashed and was put back together and in to service. That’s also the reason why I am not going with the “onscreen” engine cluster but a patch work, fixed up and modified engine cluster.

Contrary to my Star Trek build I take the liberty of artistic freedom on this Eagle Transporter.
As long as it resembles what I can see on the show… am more then happy :D

·
Starship Class
11,869 Posts
CessnaDriver said:
Great use of the resistors on the back. Clever!
Yes! Ready made engine parts! Very ingenious and inspiring! I like Gabaron's way of doing things :thumbsup:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thx for the compliments :D
Well you know, like with my ERTL Refit I don’t like to resort to after marked parts. Instead I try to go with what I get in the model kit box and enhance it with stuff I have lying around.

For example the round wheel like thingy at the should pads.. those are originally pencil cap ends. And the sphere things at the front of the pads are wooden pearls girls usually use to create necklaces or arm wrist bands…

Have a look (sorry its blurry but I guess you get my point)

In my opinion THIS is modelling. Taking the crap you get and modify it to something worthy to look at using only things you have gotten nearby. May it be household stuff, old kit parts or what ever you can get. Besides.. isn’t that the way most of the original filming miniatures where build? :D

Next update as it goes…

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey guys,

been working on the passenger module for some time now. I used this http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=podd14nr.jpg as my guide, but created sort of an inverse version of it since obviously I can not make engraved panels in the passenger module. So I added raised panels instead.

While showering (I know strange place to get ideas :D ) I had an idea on how to recreate the doors using aluminium foil… yeah exactly that stuff you can find in a kitchen to wrap food into it for protection.

So I used the cockpit inboard door and made sorts of a cast with the aluminium foil.

To harden the structure so It wont be destroyed by a simple touch I applied super glue the back and let it harden. Then I cut the door out with a small scissor. Well there already is some styrene sheet in the doors shape at the passenger module and on top of it I put the alluminium foil cast.

This is the result

Not too bad for a quick idea eh?
I think I can prime the passenger module today.. will show update pictures as they come

Have fun gang.

·
Starship Class
11,869 Posts
Garbaron said:
I had an idea on how to recreate the doors using aluminium foil… yeah exactly that stuff you can find in a kitchen to wrap food into it for protection.

So I used the cockpit inboard door and made sorts of a cast with the aluminium foil.

To harden the structure so It wont be destroyed by a simple touch I applied super glue the back and let it harden.

Careful! :eek:

Your genius is showing! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just after putting the primer on...

not perfect but certainly better then what the kit had to offer (see first picture in this thread). Of course it needs some tweaking when the color has hardened ...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
A little update on my Eagle project.

Base color has been applied and the engine bells have gotten a nice silver coating. They are a bit to light in color but with the upcoming weathering I think they’ll just look fine.

A little probelm is the color brand O chose for the base color. Usually I am using Revel colors. Revel also used to offer those little spay cans for all its colors…. but not any more. I do not own a compressor yet (will buy one for the PL Refit) and I was not looking forward to use those pressure cans again since usually they grow weak when you are at it. So I picked up a spray can for the base white not manufactured by Revel. Although the color works fine on its own, it does not work very well with the other Revel colors am using and tends to completely soften when coming in to contact with paint remover… Revels colors are much more sturdy when it comes to that.

So while I was paining the black “eyes” on the command module, the black Revel color cracked up on top of the white non Revel base color….. gave me quite some head ache since messing with that important section would be visible immediately. Aside form the engine cluster and passenger module, the command module is one of the things ppl tend to look at first. Fortunately I was able to fix it up.

The white “strip” at the cockpit windows was a challenge too, since masking such a small strip is extremely difficult especially in corners. So I used a 1mm styrene strip to create those white frames.

To see what effect on the appearance it would have I gave the command module and the left shoulder a test weathering and I pretty much like the way it highlights the panels and gives the Eagle a used look.

Here’s a quick shot what she looks like right now.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts