Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
6,573 Posts
...But one picture made me say ''WTF, how come I've never realized that !!!!!... That Eagle's landing gear were retractable...
Based on the design that was clearly the intent, but I can't recall them ever showing the landing gear fully retracted into the pods on the show.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Based on the design that was clearly the intent, but I can't recall them ever showing the landing gear fully retracted into the pods on the show.

In the show, the landing gears were always deployed. But I wasn't sure if they were deployed before an Eagle crash. I've watched the first Eagle crash in the series, in Breakaway, and they are deployed. I guess that during filming the miniatures, they had their hats full just to control the freon coming out from the reactors and controling the Eagle with the puppet wires. And I would also imagine that it wouldn't be an easy job to make retractable landing gears and store them in the side supports on all the miniatures.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
WOW! That's really interesting info! The design of the pods suggest that the gear should be retractable although it was never depicted in the series. I believe the miniatures were all built with the gear permanently lowered.

Well, I was able to make a little more progress by gluing the engine section to the aft compartment.

I am debating ordering a new set of engine bells from Round 2. Because my first attempt to paint did not go well I had to strip, prime, and repaint. This caused the ribbed detail to diminish and because it is so small plus I don't have the skill, scribing to fix it is not an option. So should I get the parts and start over or, Just go with that I have and live with it?

I'm pretty much done painting and pretty close to the final build.

My only obstacle is the RCS Thrusters that I purchased from Shapeways. After cleaning them up and sanding them smooth, I realized there is no notch to glue them to the pods and I am looking for suggestions to find ways to create them. I could drill but, I'm worried I will not be able to control the drill and ruin the parts. If anyone can help I will very grateful.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
24,368 Posts
For me, most of the people who would see the model woldnt know if the lines are suppose to be there or not. So it would be a choice of whether or not I (you) would not be happy with the end result.

If it is goint into a contest by all means replace them.

It would mean striping and priming again, but did you lose detail because of overall paint thickness? Or did the striper remove material?

A set of jewelers file may be more controlable for you - in making the notch you need in the thrusters.

Good luck in the rest of the build.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hum..... pretty hard to scrib those lines on the thrusters, they need to be straight or else it will look pretty bad. You could always try to mark them with a pensil, I would try to find a thin rubber O-Ring that you can stretch on the bells and mark them around the bells. Then you could use a scribbing tool or make you own for 2$:

Or if you can find very thin rubber O-Rings, glue them on the bells and paint them. They need to be thin tho......

BTW, buy some Castrol Super Clean (CSC), put that purple stuff inside a container with a big opening and dump the parts that needs to be cleaned in it. Leave if for awhile. Clean them good after with an old toothbrush and soap. ALWAYS USE RUBBER GLOVES or else your skin WILL BE DAMAGED.... CSC works darn well with acrylic paint but not with Tamiya paint because of the lacquer in it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Here's another idea. Get a Staedtler Circle Template and find the right size you need and mark each detail lines with a pensil on each bells. Note wich circle you are using. Then use the smallest styrene stripes you have and put them inside the circles on the template, make all the circles that you need in different sizes. You can fix the joints with CA and once dry, sand the joint. All you'll need to do after that if to glue all the different styrene circles on each bells and paint them..... That's a long process but it can be done......

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/730600/Staedtler-Mars-Template-Circle-Combo/

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for all of the great advice Milton Fox and f1steph! After reading what you both had to say I think I'm going to stick with and live with what I have. It will save me some money on parts, paint, etc,. Also, who's to say that I won't go through all of the effort to do them over and come up with the same result? I'll glue them with the dull sides in and no one will notice the difference. The rest of it is going to look awesome and will more than make up for this one little detail.

Have a great weekend!

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
After a long weekend out of town for a birthday party I was able to make a little progress this week. Unfortunately, I had to scrap the Shapeways RCS thrusters because when I tried to create a mounting hole in the back I snapped off one of the nozzles on two of the parts. I went back to the original kits parts and primed and painted those. It's a shame but, I will make do with thee and I think they turned out pretty well just the same.

When they are completely dry I will then mount them to the pods. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will look good.

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, I hate to make myself out to be a liar but, I guess I did. After saying I was going to live with the engine bells with the faded detail, I then proceeded to order new parts from Round 2. Because I used Paragrafix baffles in the original engine pieces I had my Shapeways baffles still in the box. Round 2 is great as far as replacing parts if they have them in stock, and luckily they did. Mailed out the order last Tuesday and they were here by Friday. Glued in the baffles that evening and primed them on Saturday. Then gave them a coat of Tamiya gloss aluminum yesterday.

I will now clean them up, give them another coat and they should be good to go!

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Thank you Milton you are so very right Sir!!:smile2: Yesterday I painted the insides of the bells flat black then after they dried for a couple of hours glued them onto the back of the Eagle. Using weight and gravity to get a tight bond.

After drying over night I propped the Eagle back on top of the spray cans and I have to admit I was blown away. They look great and I'm glad I made the effort to start over.

I'm coming into the home stretch and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel although there is still plenty to do. I hope to have some more updates soon.

Have a great week!

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank you Milton! This is where I really get excited about model building. After all of the hard work, the anguish, the setbacks, and the successes, it's nice to get an idea of what it is going to look like.

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I've glued on the RCS thrusters this evening and going to let them dry overnight.

Before I glue the pods to the main body I have to figure out how I am going to paint the shaded panels. There was no rhyme or reason to it and from what I understand varied on the different models used in the series. Do I go with a standard gray or lighter shades so it doesn't contrast too much with the white? I will have to figure this out eventually.

Tom

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
For what its worth, on my latest 12 inch eagle builds I painted everything flat white. Then I masked off small squares/rectangles and applied some black-silver cheap eye shadow. Unmasked and then sealed with semi gloss clear.

The effect is good, but slightly more pronounced than I wanted.

On my 22 inch eagle I painted black patterns on after the primer, then hit it with gloss white. I'm still working on it but it looks not bad.

I hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Those are both great suggestions Mark! I would like to see the pictures if you have any of how they turned out. I bought some decal sheets online from someone on another forum. It has various shades that I can make into the various panels. My preference though is really to paint.

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
No Worries Mark, I was house sitting this past weekend and have been away for a few days. I see now what you are trying to achieve in these pictures. I do have one other question though. How did you mask the thrusters on the command module? I still have to paint mine and am not sure how I am going to tackle that one yet.

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Wow! You did a really nice job with the brush. What I am thinking of doing is, finding a punch that is close in size and try to mask them. Then I will airbrush them either chrome silver or aluminum.

Tom

21 - 40 of 46 Posts