Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

I've been working on and off on this project for the last year or so and I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. With the Paragrafix photoetch set and Aztek Dummy mask set I'm hoping for a nice turnout.

Here it is with the primer coat.

\

I sprayed it with Testors Gunship Gray and Tamiya X-66 Light gray. When it was dry I added the Aztek Dummy masks and airbrushed the black areas on the command module.

Now I just have to give it a nice base coat and hope that I got the right mix. I am going with 2 parts Testors Model Master Flat White to 1 part Testors Model Master Light gray which should warm the white quite nicely.
I am open to suggestions from anyone who has built one of these before. Anyway, I hope you like my progress so far.

Have a great weekend!

Tom

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hi there,

Your built should go pretty nicely since you're building the Eagle straight from the box. Did you decided the colors of the passenger pod? VIP, Rescue or passenger version? Keep posting pictures of your built, it's always nice to see an Eagle ....

I've done three Eagles in the last 20 years. But with my lastest ones, I really modified almost everything to make them more accurate but did go for a more ''logic'' versions then the ones seen on the show. Pictures are here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m2zzYxgb8PJULsct8

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Nice, clean work so far.

a few years ago I built 2. One out of the box with the Aztek Dummy masks and one that I tried to correct some flaws. I had some success.

I used 3D printed landing gear from Shapeways. I believe its listed under "moongear"
Thats a nice, quick solution to the very poor kit gear.

The engine plumbing can be improved fairly easily, some resistors on the large tanks to replicate piping and add the center strut brace.

Another member suggested moving the gear pods slightly towards the center. This helps the look of the eagle very much.

Also the spine needs to be thinner on the top. Kind of major surgery.

I still feel OOTB it looks great, even if it is not really accurate.

f1, I love your build.

EDIT:

Here is a like to my build thread, it explains things a little better.

https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/99-science-fiction-modeling/453033-small-mpc-eagle-wip.html

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey f1steph. I haven't decided yet what direction I want to go with as far as the passenger pod. I am leaning towards the rescue because I do like the look of the red stripes. I followed the link and you do some amazing work with your modifications and I am impressed!

Mach7 your Eagles look really impressive also and I like the modifications you had done as well. I am going pretty much straight out of the box with this one. Those Shapeways landing gear look really cool and wish I had known about them before I was this far along. I don't want to go back and do any surgery at this point however, I know they are an option if I do another. Here some pics with the base coat that I applied. Mine looks a little grayer than yours and I was trying not to have it look pure white. I hope that it still looks ok. Here are some pictures.

I do have one question for you gentlemen. What color did you paint the rocket/thruster bells? I was going to go with Testors Model Master acrylic Aluminum and if that is not good enough hopefully you could suggest another color I could use. Hopefully in acrylic though and could be either Testors of Tamiya.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I do have one question for you gentlemen. What color did you paint the rocket/thruster bells? I was going to go with Testors Model Master acrylic Aluminum and if that is not good enough hopefully you could suggest another color I could use. Hopefully in acrylic though and could be either Testors of Tamiya.

Well chrome is the way to go if you want to look like the studio Eagle. But if you want a more realistic look (like the Saturn V F1 engine bells), aluminium is the choice. Add some black weathering to them, especially inside. If I remember correctly, I used Vallejo Aluminium on my Eagles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the help fellas! I picked up some chrome silver from my LHS yesterday and will use that on the main rocket bells and RCS thrusters. For the vertical thrusters I will go with the Testors Aluminum and spray a little black inside to weather them a little.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to make some progress this weekend. I painted the passenger pod with the base coat and removed all of the masks underneath. It turned out really nice and I am pleased with the results.:smile2:

I am waiting for some replacement parts from Paragrafix then I can finish the main rocket motors. So far it is coming along very nicely and it's looking really good.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
More Eagles! I love it! Despite the lack of detail inside the cages at either end of this particular kit, it can still be built up into a very good looking model. And you're showing just how that's done! Can't wait for the finished model!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot whiskeyrat! I wish I could take all of the credit. I bought the Aztek Dummy masks and the Paragrafix photo-etch set from Culttvman and they were a huge help. After a little touch up here and there the results were awesome. I hope to have an update or two very soon.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
TomD66, did you paint your motors yet?

This might help.

Restoring the Original 44"Eagle from Space 1999

Photo's of one of the 44 inch filming models.

For my 22 inch eagle I'm using the optional turned aluminum parts.
My understanding is this was on the filming models so it should be accurate.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link to the restoration article mach 7! I have actually been in email contact with James Small and he has given me some advice as well.:smile2: I have not painted the engines bells as of yet. I have put them aside for the moment as I've turned my attention to the shoulder pods for the landing gear. I had an issue with one because every time I would paint it the masking tape would peel off some of the base coat.

I must have repainted it three times and now that I have finally gotten that resolved it looks a lot better.

I painted the center square aluminum on the other three pods and with it going over the black paint I got an almost dark metallic gray look to it.

Someone pointed out to me that they should be gray but, I kind of like the look and with what I had to go through to mask these I am going to stick with it. I hope to get to those engine bells in the next week or so. Too bad they don't make aluminum replacement parts for the smaller eagle, that would really make this one stand out!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went back and decided that the bottom of the shoulder pods for the landing gear should be gray. I sprayed over the aluminum with dark ghost grey and I think they look a lot more accurate now.

Now I just have to prime and paint the landing gear and RCS thrusters, then go back and finish the main motors.

My plan is to have it finished up and ready for decals in a couple of weeks.

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to make a little progress this week. I prefer to paint as much as I can rather than go with a decal if at all possible. I bought the Aztek Dummy painting masks and it comes with a sheet with black vinyl cutouts to substitute for paint or decals on the black areas of the Eagle. What worked for me on what I call the gothic looking crosses on the shoulder pods is use the outline on the sheet as a painting mask. I think it turned out rather nicely on the two I have painted so far.

The reason I have only two completed is that when I went to paint the other two I noticed that there were a few cracks that needed to filled and sanded again. I will sand and paint those and then try again to repeat my success with the first two.

I'm looking at possibly buying the diffusers for the main engines and replacement RSC thrusters set from Shapeways. I think these would probably be less difficult to work with than the photo-etch parts. I hope to have a little more progress this weekend.

Tom

·
Registered
966 Posts
I bought the same ones for my Eagles from Shapeways. They're pretty nice. Since I was building two Eagles at the same time, I had to make 4 diffusers. I had enough radars with this kit. As for the RCS, I used the ones from Shapeways on one Eagle, and modified 4 from the Deluxe kit. Just had to drilled some holes and Voilà ...... Darn, I like the Eagle....... I have a Product Enterprise Eagle right beside me while I"m typing this reply..... Crazy, crazy.... Yeah I already know this.... hehehehe... Keep up the good work....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey f1steph! How did you drill the RCS Thrusters? I have them all cleaned up and ready for paint but, I need to create holes so I can glue them to the little nubs on the shoulder pods. I'm afraid if I use a power drill or a Dremel I may drill right through and ruin them. Also, if I am a little off center that may be a problem. Paragrafix sent me a replacement set of the baffles and I thought I would do a trial run with them before I used the Shapeways parts. I believe I will save those parts for another project because these turned out so well.

Sorry for the delayed reply. We had a snow storm last Sunday and there was a power outage that fried my router and wasn't able to get on to post until today. BTW You're not crazy, the Eagle is an awesome ship! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Have a great weekend!

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was able to prime and paint the landing gear as well as prime the main engine bells for the metallic coat.

Then I sprayed the landing gear with Testors MM dark ghost gray to match the bottom of the shoulder pods.

I then finally painted what I call the Gothic cross on the last shoulder pod. Unfortunately, painting the engines did not go as planned and I had to strip them down and start over.:frown2:

I had to pick up more Tamiya primer at my LHS because the two cans in the picture were empty. Now I have the engines primed for another try.

I hope to have them painted and ready to go this weekend.

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I picked up some Tamiya chrome silver from the LHS.

I've given the engines a nice healthy coat plus I painted the insides flat black.

Now I have to do a little touch up on the black and these should be ready to go. Then it will be on to the RCS thrusters before I tidy up and get ready for the decals.

Have a great weekend!

Tom

·
Registered
966 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts