Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I really want to join the MPC 22" Eagle party, but I paid good money for the Warp Eagle and feel it's a rite of passage before I go to the good life of the new styrene kit...

I've been working on this project off and on for an amount of time I'm ashamed to admit. Cleaning up the metal spine has been the issue. Hours and hours of filing.

OK, more history: The kit had a broken spine and I requested help from Federation models. They contacted WARP and they were kind enough to send a new spine. Thanks! So in the meantime I got confident enough to try and solder the broken spine, and it worked! Warp also included several new resin pieces to replace the old and very brittle resin they used in the older kits. Bottom line: I have about 80% of the parts to make a second eagle. So.... I have cleaned up both spines in this attempt.

Here's a snapshot. As you can see, I'm using "the chopper II" to make some styrene replacements for the kit metal.
The chopper makes this easy and quick and filing the ends of the plastic goes fairly quickly.
I'll used this thread as my build blog. Perhaps posting photos will keep my motivation going to finish!

Untitled Flickr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Well I see that this kit is in another galaxy than the MPC version. Should take less time to built and the final result will be excellent. I can see the cages interior detailing looks like the RU version. Sweet...

Keep us posted, there's a lot of S:99 Eagle fans around here..... including me naturally.....

Steph
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Hey Kurok, please keep going and posting updates. I love the Eagles and yours look excellent so far.

I might not comment every day but will be watching and admiring your progress!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still finishing details on the main spines. Got a little use out of the Micro mark punch set. Didn't have right thickness of sheet styrene so I used the lid of an empty cream cheese tub.

Untitled

It was hard to get four perfectly centered ones but a few came out good:

Untitled

This is the look I was after to mimic the open ended tubes on the studio models:

Untitled
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The spines for my double Eagle project are done and just need paint. I superglued the rods on the underside of each, 24 in all.
Here they are in white primer:


Acrylic paint was on sale at Michael's today 2 for 1 so I got couple candidates for Eagle paint.
On the far right is "bisque", in the middle "Vanilla" and on the left is pure white.
The photo is a little washed out but I may go with bisque or some combination of both for a panel effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since cleaning up the spines nearly drove me nuts, I decided to try styrene rod for the cages. This is my first one and it took a bit of time but I have some ideas to speed it up. Doing "fishmouths" with styrene is much faster than the brass. It sands faster, however it's the quantity, with dozens of them per cage. I'm also concerned about the "criss cross" part I have not done yet as that could take a lot of custom fitting.

 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top