Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

In another thread I mentioned that I used SilentStep as a sound barrier because the homsate was difficult to find and it was $28 a sheet I needed two sheets.

I found this SilentStep at home depot about $35 for 50 sq. feet. (Scafremon I am using your pic)

I promised I would report back on how it works. It works great and a heck of alot better than I could have imagined. no more clackity clackity down the track.

the plywood by itself really amplified the sound with out it know it quiet as can be.

BRian

·
Registered
26 Posts
What about using cork as an underlayment? Or perhaps using the thin foam you install under laminate flooring? Anyone have any experience with these?

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Yes, Cork is cost prohibitive. Foam works great, and the higher the density the better. Within reason of course. Foam is plentiful and often free if you do a little foraging. I've used thinner types of other insulation underboard as well. For hardshell or easy shell tunnels, embankments or mountains; spray the underside with automotive type undercoating or fill them with expando foam from the can.

The best ever was a layout in which all the scenery/topography was created from foam rubber, all the under hollows were filled with expando foam too. This one was actually for trains. They are Marklin die cast zinc units and created quite a clatter while underway.

Every effort should be made to limit resonance and amplification from the git go. Sounds like you guys are planning ahead of the curve. It's so much easier to work it in as you go rather than trying to fudge it in later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts