Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month or so ago I came across the first release of the XJ Cherokee at a WM. Initially I was super excited to find it, I knew it would be a hard casting to come across...especially in the store. But after looking at it, what a let down. I hate how it's barely bigger than a quarter, how the 50's Suburban in the same release seems to dwarf it when I put em next to each other.

I was so excited to find one, but ended up leaving it because it was so tiny and cheap looking. I stopped in at the same WM this morning to find it still hanging where I left it...on the front of the JL peg.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
You should probably get it, just so you don't regret not picking it up. Because you were excited to find one. Most all JL's are tiny, and the Cherokee is not a big vehicle anyway. It would be small next to a Suburban.

You should take a look at it outside of the blister, it really is a nice vehicle. Don't let the small size turn you off.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you ever had a real Cherokee parked next to a real '50s Suburban.

Yeah, the Cherokee is dwarfed in real life too...
Well yeah...I meant for the size of the diecast. That was a bad example, but I also held it up next to the Monaco and they were the same size as well. They're not the same size in 1:1 form either. One of my peeves of diecast is the size difference of cars varying so much like that.

But anyway, it's still cool that they made an XJ. I like when diecast makers produce every day/not 100% super cool or special to the average joe. If I find another release of one that isn't in camo drag I'll pick it up.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Funny...I have been searching for this first release in my travels since I heard of it's release...never found one ....I would have grabbed that one for sure...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've slimmed up my purchasing by about 99% of what it used to be, so anything that I don't like enough to take up and purchase gets put back. Figure I would leave it there for someone who's been searching for it.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I've slimmed up my purchasing by about 99% of what it used to be, so anything that I don't like enough to take up and purchase gets put back. Figure I would leave it there for someone who's been searching for it.
I have been doing much the same....but it's mainly due to nothing on the pegs to buy in my case....I did purchase the new Cherokee in release 23 (the army green one) while in Littleton,NH a week ago..was pleased to find this new JL casting...still looking for the R22 with the tire on the roof...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I felt the same way at first about the Ford Lightning. Left the only red one behind, and finally got a silver one (slightly disappointed with plastic base). Just this morning, I grabbed a red one on ebay for $5 shipped...very small premium paid.

I'm going to turn the silver one into an F150 Custom, I wish we could still buy cheap, basic 1/2 ton trucks like that.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
There is only one place in town that sells JL anymore, and they put out only one set cars from whatever release they happen to get. No way I was passing up that gray Cherokee when I saw it hanging. And then there was the lone yellow taxi Monaco hiding near the floor.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is only one place in town that sells JL anymore, and they put out only one set cars from whatever release they happen to get. No way I was passing up that gray Cherokee when I saw it hanging. And then there was the lone yellow taxi Monaco hiding near the floor.
i also got the gray cherokee too mainly because i thought it was cool and i also have the white cherokee from f64 r23. i remeber watching the boys on trucks build one as well. chris

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
The scale isn't always critical. Many great looking 1/87th scale cars in my collection. 1/64th, as well as HO scale, many aren't accurate! If you see rarity, beauty, details, special colors? Many reasons to spend a few bucks, and enjoy the hobby.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Since I got into this hobby back in the mid sixties collecting Lesney Matchboxes, scale is not an issue with me. My first Lesney was (and I still have it) the 8 wheel crane.

compared to this little MG

So what. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts