Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Jayski.com:

Racing Champions out of NASCAR?
hearing that Racing Champions is giving up all there of it's trackside programs after 2004. Some of Racing Champion's properties include: #48-Jimmie Johnson, #22-Scott Wimmer, #0-Ward Burton. These programs will supposedly be divided up between Team Caliber and Action Performance.(10-22-2004)

Maybe they need more time and resources to devote to thier new Johny Lightning division? :)

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
I saw that also. However, it's been quite a few years since they had most of the major drivers, so their profits must have been down compared to the competition.

The only thing I can think of (aside from the irony that Racing Champions will no longer be involved in racing diecast) is that they may bring back some of Johnny Lightning's Stock Car Legends castings to focus on classic NASCAR diecast and avoid the glut of new NASCAR merchandise that pegwarms forever. Of course that's only what I would do, and I'm not affiliated with RC2 in any way, shape, or form. ;)

I think they could do a great history of NASCAR with the existing castings- and since there's virtually no competition in this at the moment, it could be lucrative. I wonder if they made an entire starting field of cars from 1969 or 1970 (in NASCAR, Trans-Am, and Indy) how many buyers they'd get? Besides, royalties to James Hylton and Dave Marcis have got to be lower than those for Dale Earnhardt Jr. or Jeff Gordon- less sponsor logos to pay also.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Nothing against NASCAR fans as I used to be one of them (even developed a Fantasy racing game surrounding it as I was such a fan) - HOWEVER, the diecast world has gone such a direction that it is hard to keep up with the drivers. They change cars every race with new and different paint schemes, sponsors and so forth - all of that is tooling, licensing and so forth. Noth to mention the collectors are bowing out right and left because they can keep up or afford all the styles.

I remember when Winner Circle debuted their stuff - frist two years of cars amounted to about 50 castings - then BOOM it is like 500 year now. HWs did the same thing and has now bowed back to a select few castings in their NASCAR line.

Just a sign of the times from where I sit. The shift in the diecast world is not over either - mark my words.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Maybe this doesn't mean they are completely out of Nascar. Notice it says "Trackside programs". I am assuming that this means the stuff they sell at "trackside" (at the venue on race weekend). I'm sure having vendors, trucks, etc, that ride around the country can cost a nice penny.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Hmmm, I collected some Nascar stuff back in the beginning before I really had an idea what to collect. Now I have an idea and a bin full of stuff I can't give away! Well, I guess I could give it away, but you get the idea.

I rescued a Johnnie Benson 1 of 1500 Chase Car out of a CLEARANCE BOD this past weekend. The total damage at the cash register, 88 CENTS! Not bad for #0091 of 1500 I'd say. Might not be worth 88 cents to someone else, but that's fine with me. I forked it over happily!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts