Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really great when RC2 releases a new casting! But WHY must they beat it into the ground by releasing it in the next six (you get my point here, even if it isn't quite six) SUCCESSIVE releases?!? I understand the need to maximize profits, etc. from the new tooling, but c'mon. It kinda takes the luster off of the Shelby GT500, Gremlin, Vega, Torino, 84 Cutlass, 87 Regal, etc as new or novel casting that you might not get elsewhere. I may be in the minority, but it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make me want to run right out and buy more...........

·
Registered
370 Posts
i do belive that rc2 jl is dying off
and greenlight is the rebirth were
rc2 left off so far i havn't heard
of the 78-85 malibu classic
the 88-92 firebirds ect no
new castings i'm crying
and it's a shame that they
can't produce like they used to. :(

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
wait wait wait...

JL is the only one that makes a casting, uses it consecutivly, then kills it off?

Lets see:

Jada's Oldsmobile 442, 2 releases (2 in each) back to back, then a release (of 2) in the next Donk... then poof, gone from the line up

GL's 442, same thing, released the 442 in 2 releases (2 in each) , and then in the Pace Car series (2), then poof, is gone.

Maisto's 69 442, again with 2 releases of 2, followed by a brief break, then 2 releases of 2.

I'm not sure about the other castings, but I can vouche for the Cutlass as that is what I collect. The 84 Cutlass that was released was the only 84 Cutlass to be released in standard colors, The others were H/O's or (incorrectly labelled) 442's. People screamed saying they wanted a standard Cutlass, and they produced.

It just reverts back to the old saying, can't please them all.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Until I see another Diecast Company (that produces american cars) with the detail AND the volume that JL does, JL will always be top in my collection. Lets use Oldsmobiles in the Following Example (note these are off the top of my head #'s, might be off 1 or 2, and are of castings, not releases, If i did releases all companies put together wouldn't match JL):

HW's - Only 2 1/2 Castings (442 and Aurora, the Country Club Muscle is the 1/2) (this is also going all the way back until 1960 whatever they were founded)
Jada - Only 1 Casting
Miasto - 3 (if you count the 2 cheapy concept cars that were produced under a multitude of store brands)
MM - 2, but also made larger scales also, which brings it up to 4
GL - 2 (yes, 1970 and 1972 Cutlass = same casting, but convertible is different)

JL - 18... yes, 18 different castings, with more in the works

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Yup all companies do this. A mold is quite expensive to produce, so they do need to make plenty. Just wish they would spread the recast's just a bit longer.

Russ

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Milezone said:
Yup all companies do this. A mold is quite expensive to produce, so they do need to make plenty. Just wish they would spread the recast's just a bit longer.

Russ
In case I didn't make it clear, THAT'S my point EXACTLY!! Spread them out, don't just crank out consecutively, series after series after series.......

Thanks Russ for the clarification!! LOL!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Myself, I like all the color variations....as long as they are authentic looking. I buy for realism. And I know companies can't store molds forever. But I hate to see a casting retired.
When I was young muscle cars ran wild in the streets, and the paint colors were just as wild. So keep those color combinations coming.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
TheDarkCutlass said:
Until I see another Diecast Company (that produces american cars) with the detail AND the volume that JL does, JL will always be top in my collection. Lets use Oldsmobiles in the Following Example (note these are off the top of my head #'s, might be off 1 or 2, and are of castings, not releases, If i did releases all companies put together wouldn't match JL):

HW's - Only 2 1/2 Castings (442 and Aurora, the Country Club Muscle is the 1/2) (this is also going all the way back until 1960 whatever they were founded)
Jada - Only 1 Casting
Miasto - 3 (if you count the 2 cheapy concept cars that were produced under a multitude of store brands)
MM - 2, but also made larger scales also, which brings it up to 4
GL - 2 (yes, 1970 and 1972 Cutlass = same casting, but convertible is different)

JL - 18... yes, 18 different castings, with more in the works
HW also had the 'Flat Out 442' stock car, so that's 3.5 then :tongue:

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
joejames said:
In case I didn't make it clear, THAT'S my point EXACTLY!! Spread them out, don't just crank out consecutively, series after series after series.......

Thanks Russ for the clarification!! LOL!!
We have been told in the past setting up tools is expensive so running more numbers reduces the cost per casting. Now, let's say they are casting 25,000 of them for various planned series. Then to avoid storage fees, the unused castings are reserved to be put in 2 or 3 different series in a short amount of time in order to reduce the storage costs for the castings. It makes sense and to use the newest castings in order to recoup the costs of the new mold development would make sense as well.

Let's face it, RC2 is a corporation with a lot of overhead costs and if they are like 99% of other publically traded companies (trust me, I work for one), the value of their shares drives cost reductions across the board, where ever and whenever costs can be reduced.

Personally, I don't mind a lot of variations of new castings.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
68SUPERBEE440-6 said:
i do belive that rc2 jl is dying off
and greenlight is the rebirth were
rc2 left off so far i havn't heard.....
:(
Dying off? No way man! JL has had it's best year ever producing more cars than ever. If there's more collectors out there buying up cars or what the deal is, I don't know, but I do know it's Milezones number one seller!!!
It'll probably take GL years to catch up to the numbers JL is pumping out.

If it's a JL casting I like (which it most of them)then I love seeing them in lotsa
different colors produced in quick succession. I say bring it on!!!

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
In my opinion, the two negatives with JL are the recent price rise, and the availability of many desirable releases in the retail stores. The quality and variety is still way up above the competition!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I dont really have a problem with the cars, just the distribution. When Pm was around there were always new jls at my local stores. Then rc2, theres barely any.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
LIGHTNING44 said:
I dont really have a problem with the cars, just the distribution. When Pm was around there were always new jls at my local stores. Then rc2, theres barely any.
Ditto. They never seem to restock until all of their old stuff on the pegs are gone, which takes a while

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
joejames said:
It's really great when RC2 releases a new casting! But WHY must they beat it into the ground by releasing it in the next six (you get my point here, even if it isn't quite six) SUCCESSIVE releases?!? I understand the need to maximize profits, etc. from the new tooling, but c'mon. It kinda takes the luster off of the Shelby GT500, Gremlin, Vega, Torino, 84 Cutlass, 87 Regal, etc as new or novel casting that you might not get elsewhere. I may be in the minority, but it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make me want to run right out and buy more...........
I would whole heartedly agree. I love the new '68 Shelby and I have gotten all of the regular releases so far. However I am going nuts trying to keep up with the White Lightnings of it ! ! I would definitely like to see a bit more time between releases of the same casting !

Scott

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Scott Moen said:
I would whole heartedly agree. I love the new 87 regal and I have gotten all of the regular releases so far. However I am going nuts trying to keep up with the White Lightnings of it ! ! I would definitely like to see a bit more time between releases of the same casting !

Scott
what he said

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Wyatt said:
We have been told in the past setting up tools is expensive so running more numbers reduces the cost per casting. Now, let's say they are casting 25,000 of them for various planned series. Then to avoid storage fees, the unused castings are reserved to be put in 2 or 3 different series in a short amount of time in order to reduce the storage costs for the castings. It makes sense and to use the newest castings in order to recoup the costs of the new mold development would make sense as well.

Let's face it, RC2 is a corporation with a lot of overhead costs and if they are like 99% of other publically traded companies (trust me, I work for one), the value of their shares drives cost reductions across the board, where ever and whenever costs can be reduced.

Personally, I don't mind a lot of variations of new castings.
Wyatt said it in a nut-shell. I don't mind seeing variations. If it's a casting I like, I'll buy several, as long as they look sharp. What I don't like doesn't hurt my feelings either, so long as RC2 is finding ways to keep the JL line alive. I think they've had a pretty good year...and those who don't agree can do so, I'm all for freedom of speech. But it's been a helluva lot better than the year before, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Scott Moen said:
I would whole heartedly agree. I love the new '68 Shelby and I have gotten all of the regular releases so far. However I am going nuts trying to keep up with the White Lightnings of it ! ! I would definitely like to see a bit more time between releases of the same casting !

Scott
i feel the same way about the 68/69 442 casting. i am glad at least some of them contained WL traits that i don't desire even though i still have a hard time keeping up. :(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts