Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I use quite abit of Vitagoo in my styrene builds. T-jet Jim got me thinking about the tedious nature of wetting plastic and scraping up little wads of color matched bondo. It's repetitive and time consuming to say the least.

I've tabled my XKE project while I'm waiting for my detail its and bitties to arrive. I was just about to toss all the olive green remnants and then stopped in mid toss. I had an empty bottle of testors cement. I poured in some fresh cement, about a 1/4" inch-er-so, and funneled in the green scrap. Voila' 24 hrs later I had ready to use goo! I found that if you don't stir it up and let it settle a bit; the bottom has a sticky more solid consistency.
The upper layer is of course thinner for glazing and floating. I used the thinner upper glaze to chase a couple minor pinholes on the XKE with remarkable ease and success.

One of my current projects is a yellow HR Coupe. I quickly salvaged the parts of a yellow Camaro I intend to use. It was left over from my Woodster project. The scrap was diced and left to cook as before. 24hrs later I had made a fresh batch of nice yellow mud. The last of the pics show the results of a huge thicker skim floated/glazed with the thinner upper layer.

It allows the use of parts that you couldn't ordinarily scrape for putty, due to their small size. The time saving factor was huge.

Pic 1: Bulk goo

Pic 2: I always develop the chassis first. Rear drop axle with narrowed slots and lowpros all round.

Pic 3: That's one of my bunk chassis with the max amount removed for forward taper at the magnet housing. It's a go-nogo jig for narrowing. The pie cuts were made to the body for the flat side vibe look.

Pic 4: The pie cuts were tacked and filled the nite before. This pic shows the camaro rear fenders spliced in. They were first tacked and then filled with a monster spread of Vitagoo I previously thought impossible. Yeah she's thick, but I'd rather block it off later than reskim if I come up low.

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
This is going to be fun to watch again! Great that you do such a detailed thread really anticipating the finished product!

Dave

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

roadrner said:
What's taking so long, I'm ready for more pix! :devil: rr
Just old and slow Dave! I've been pretty deep in correcting a botched 1:1 resto for friend that got hosed pretty bad. Really cuts into my modeling time. Gotta keep the lights on ya know.

Pic 1: The Camaro rear fenders have been installed and rough blocked in 320.
A little cobbed yet, but the shape is coming around. It took 3 skims to get to this point. Probably one or two more to go.

Pic 2: The drop axle chassis needed some serious forward pinch to fit the retro flat/vibe sides. It's the ragged edge for clearance. I guess I saw it coming, but as usual kept cuttin'. The front axle rails got wacked for body clearance as well. There was a bit of trickery on the pickup hangers and shoes to get it all packed under. The rear was tubbed at the magnet housing so the tires could be sucked in an 1/8th or so.

Pic 3: The rear apron got the ole tail light license plate delete. Looks like I don't have the transition to the rear fender quite right yet. Doh! The rear post pucker was one of the reasons the reason this bucket got wacked. I'll skim it during finishing. Gonna clean up those hangin' rear frame rails too!

The maximum will be taken out of the posts at some point. I usually sneak them down little bits at a time to avoid catastrophe. There's still way to much of the chassis skirt showing, which barfs me out. In process is a modified roof and windshield assembly that's taxing my patience a little. :freak:

Stay tuned for more mayhem. :wave:
BH

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
coach61 said:
This is going to be fun to watch again! Great that you do such a detailed thread really anticipating the finished product!

Dave
Thanks Coach! I think it's a leftover habit from Highschool Algebra- "Show All Your Work!"

41 willys: Thanks for the wow! It's the best description for how much work I bit off on this one. Doh!

Brian TX: Thanks Bud! Actually it's destined to be a coupe. I never liked the way the original roof was mounted so it got removed and changed. It's a lot easier to work on with the roof outta' the way.

Ed: Me too. Thanks! I've been on the speciallty mag kick lately. I scored a pile of them on fleabay a while back. Once I figured out how to overbore them straight and remove the flanges without killing them it's opened up some new avenues. I digem' cuz they actually look like a real wheel. LOL

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Bill, I have been doing my best to hold comment until this latest rod was complete, eh.
Well, I have to say that Aurora should have built it like this in the first place! What a truely beautiful rod! Please give thought to casting it, hey! Several of the guys (myself included) I am sure would LOVE to own a cast of it!Though you would no longer have the single most beautiful Aurora hotrod on the planet, you sure would make a bunch of guys extremely happy! Just a thought, mate!

Beautiful, simply beautiful! :thumbsup:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not good, but at least I'm slow!

Thanks VJ and can do. We can trade for some of your groovy paint work down the road. Scrounge up a tolerable shell and a carcass for donor fenders. In retrospect, a Ford J body is probably the ticket as it has a good broad, flat fender; and the inner arch is about the right height.

I'm using the upper sections of the "J" spoiler and deck for my front windshield frame. Also a piece of a Camaro upper fender will be used to complete the forward roof edge. I had considered using the front hood apron from the Camaro as an old school visor but decided on the more rounded/blunt unvisored treatment. It will show off the full tinted glass that's on the cutting board. Sorta depends on whether you want a coupe or roadster.

As I haven't finished the roof and WS frame yet (It may be gross!) Let's wait and see. Start scrounging now. I'm slow and the process has a lotta steps that cant be rushed IE: cure times. As usual, a bit of work then a bunch of waiting. Finger up my nose just like fourth grade. LOL :thumbsup: I would like to see one of these with a VJ's custom paint job; or you too Brian TX if your lurkin' along.

I can build you the required drop axle chassis. Send me a chassis, or we can hack up one from my fleet of RTR's. The only requirement is a good gearplate, a square chassis and any AFX/Magna/Xtrac style picups . Nuthin' fancy. I'm runnin' low on the big rear specialty mags, but will probably re-order pretty soon. If you want hot dog parts start lookin' cuz I DHS right now for goodies.

This ones been alot of fun. Much like the original "Pup" body, the ideas for future versions has produced an avalanche of mods and accessories to simmer. Frenched Ford J tail lights, outrigger eggcup headlights, AFX retro grill, side hood louvers from the AFX model A series, front motorcycle fenders with flush width tall boy slicks in the rear for the retro look. A rumble seat for Betty and Veronica.....I may be stuck on this body style for some time. Even though the Aurora HR versions have been done to death, I feel the need to whup the Pup and come up with something familiar yet different.

I can already see that this initial version is coming out a little too "Roid Coddington" for me, but the learning curve has been established. The end game is an HO scale facsimile of Jas' (Scratch) recent 1/32 blue coupe that will combine this project and what I learned about the tube/hairpin front ends on my Woodster project.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not qualified!

joez870 said:
........ Please give thought to casting it, hey!...... you sure would make a bunch of guys extremely happy! Just a thought, mate!
Garsh Joe, that's some high praise. I'm both flattered and humbled, but; "A man's got to know his limitations". (Dirty Harry)

What say you and I collaberate on the cast? Then whoever wants one could have one. Even if it mattered to me, and it doesnt!; I'd still have the original prototypes.

Although this ones destined for a lid, I think the first shot should be a roadster. I'm assuming it would be easier to cast than the coupe. It would also provide a wider array of options for finishing, Like rollbars, interiors, drivers and the windsheild of your choice or not.

Keep in mind that this version sits on a rear drop axle unit. Thats part of the illusion. I think it would be pretty goofus on the standard setup, but some guy's dig the highboy look too. I've never actually bottomed one out by shortening the posts, but I'm gonna find out fairly soon. Maybe a post shave will create enough of dump to reasonably replicate the original.

I feel that the group deserves all of credit as they always seem to inspire me to greater things. We could call it the "HT Hot Rod". (Hobby Talk Hot Rod) or the BJF (Bill and Joez Folly) :p

Give me your thoughts Joe. It would be great fun to watch the evolution of something that fell outta' my junk pile.

I think it would be fun to do a run of completed cars: Cast by you, chassied by me, Art work by Jimmy and Brian, and allocated for Ed's Christmas "Not So Secret Santa Program" this year. I missed out last year, so I'm already one car down! Dangit.

Certainly I would never make work or voluteer anyone for extra duty, but if we can get some of the gang on board it would be a cool group Holiday stunt.

Please chime in guys!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Bill Hall said:
I would like to see one of these with a VJ's custom paint job; or you too Brian TX if your lurkin' along.
Heck yeah man, I could definately have some fun painting up one of those rods :thumbsup:

Someone please put me down for one of those resin casts if they come about one day :wave:

I'm definately lurkin' alot lately....and working on restoring my bashed up CH VW Bug body.....this time with a shot of "house of Kolor" Limetime green pearl paint ;) Now it looks like a Spectraflame redline bug :thumbsup:

I'm also working on a couple of projects for a friend of mine....they all want me to do thier custom work....lol!

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Bill,

What can I add? The others have stated it pretty well. Wow, awesome, beautiful, and nice. All I can come up with is, Damn. :eek: Talk about custom work. Looks especially fitting with your choice of wheels. a big two :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Thanks, Dave

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
roadrner said:
Bill, What can I add? The others have stated it pretty well. Wow, awesome, beautiful, and nice. All I can come up with is, Damn. :eek: Talk about custom work. Looks especially firring with your choice of wheels. a big two :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Thanks, Dave
Thanks for the double thumbs Dave!

Here's some progress pics-

Pic 1: The slot for the stock windshield has been filled. The interior was scribed out for painting access and access for glass placement. It will be re-installed in the end. Note the relief cut in the seat bolster for rear glass fitment. The "L" shaped pieces are Ford J rear fender tops including the rear spoiler. The roof angles in the J spoiler were flattened for a smooth transition. The little casting nodes on the inside of the roof bottom are removed. The roof can can now sit up and forward on the raised portion of the forward trunk apron right up against the rear seat bolster. What I consider to be the correct position on a pup.

Pic 2: The J rails have been sectioned in the middle and installed. They were left long so I could fidget with them during assembly. It helped keep my fingers out of the goo. The upper hood/vent grill was filled at this time.

Pic 3: Two skims, a little 600 later and we're getting close. Barely visible at this angle is the fresh air vent on the cowl. It was left for kicks. I don't like to kill all the details.

Pic 4: The roof was shortened north to south by about an 1/8". The rolled forward section was built from the upper front fender crown of of a Camaro. The lid is just sitting there till I fab all the windows, so for now it looks weird. The "A" pillars and windshield opening will be properly thinned once the roof is attached. At the same time the sharp forward roof edge will be rounded also.

Pic 5: A Comparo shows the new roof position. The final attachment will be seamless at the roof posts and trunk apron. After seeing this pic, I'll probably take a little more off the roof posts for more forward rake on the lid.

Thanks for lookin'

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Bill, that car is simply unreal man! I must have missed it....but is it sitting on a regular Tjet chassis? I have a couple of those bodies that are resin cast....but a regular Tjet chassis won't fit....and I don't own any slimline chassis :(

You know, looking at the pics, I could easily see this body as a "highboy" style roadster.......sporting a custom "Duvall" windshield too..... :thumbsup: this body is like the legendary '32 Ford Duece coupe.....no matter how you choose to customize one, it'll turn out GREAT.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
TX Street Racer said:
Bill, that car is simply unreal man! I must have missed it....but is it sitting on a regular Tjet chassis? I have a couple of those bodies that are resin cast....but a regular Tjet chassis won't fit....and I don't own any slimline chassis :(
TX that is a Hot Rod TJET Body that he has done a great job modifying. You can buy these from Dash Motorsports. It looks so good you thought it was a slim line body. The thing I like the most is the lowered roof and how he moved it forward. Bill is a master with injected molded bodies. I tip my hat to him now what exhaust is he going to put on it :)

Roger Corrie

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Roger, Mud master is more like it! LOL. Thanks for following along and I appreciate the kind words. I'm glad you noticed the roof. The back was a can of corn, but the front near drove me nuts. Not shown yet are the relief channels for the front windshield and side glass. Look back a ways on one of the early pile-o-parts pics and you'll see the exhaust I chose. I'm not tellin yet.

Yo Brian! Ed (sethanddaddy) has NOS t-jet chassis'. Chris(dragula) hasem' too. I like to keep it in the family. That whole slimline thing doesn't grab me due to the performance limitations. I wanted to find the limit on the smooth side vibrator look body. For me Hotrods with peanut motors are philosophically wrong! LOL.

If you look back a ways in this thread you'll see the chassis development pics where it was narrowed and tubbed. Nuthin fancy, just standard butchery. I could'nt get a good shot of the pick up mods, but they're simple simon as well. I'll try and get a good shot of it, if you need it. This particular chassis has a rear drop axle as I chose the gigantor rear hides. It would have been a monster highboy had I not. Unless you dump the rear, post shaving is the option. However even the modified pickups get involved with the front fender arch pretty quick when you drop the posts. I'll shave a little off at some point, but I can already see problems with the front fender radius ahead. It's gonna be a fine line.

Brian your so right! I had some dudes restored Ardun coupe in mind when I was visualizing this bucket. I saw it in an old street rodder and it's been stuck in my head for years. Then Jas and Rick posted up some awesome coupes not to mention the general insanity in Ed's members customs thread. Every time a work on this project, more ideas pour out. If I can con Joe into casting this (he showed interest), I will build a master for him so everyone can play. It will be the roadster version with the wells filled completely to the skirt. That way the option exists for a smooth well, open wheeled highboy or cut and radius the wells for the more traditional look. I chose to execute the coupe first because there's more in store for the coupe. The roadster is just the simpler derivative. The current coupe is just a practice run to work the bugs out. The master for the highboy roadster version will be in process soon!

Thanks for playin' along TX!

BH

1 - 20 of 40 Posts