Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you know, if that Seaview were to ever breach or surface in a hurry and catch some air, those chinnes on the bow are gonna snap right off a-la a really fat guy doing a belly flop into a pool.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
you know, if that Seaview were to ever breach or surface in a hurry and catch some air, those chinnes on the bow are gonna snap right off a-la a really fat guy doing a belly flop into a pool.
What?? Are you saying a vehicle design from an Irwin Allen show is IMPRACTICAL???

Of course, the Seaview is pure fantasy. No real submarine would have those monstrous manta fins on the bow, or those Cadillac tail fins. Just ask anyone who's built and operated an R/C Seaview model. The thing's a biyatch to control.

But it still looks cool after after 48 years!

BTW, have you ever seen part of a fat guy's body snap off when he does a belly flop into a pool, and if so, which part? :confused:

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no but there was a to-do about slip-n'-slides back in the late eighties about grown men using it and breaking their necks.

I'm just saying if the bow of a wessel is shaped like a fat guy, maybe it shouldn't be doing belly-flops in the ocean.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I'm not so sure about that, I mean, just speculating on a fictional ship and all.

If you think about the large glassed in front (less glass in the refit of course), there's already massive stresses at work on the bow area. I'd have to assume the manta fins were engineered to account for that.

Get to the refit and in addition to the front (magic) glass you've got the vast cavity of the Flying Sub bay (which may or may not be 'wet').

and of course just think of the FS sitting there when the Seaview pancakes back down into the water...

So, you just gotta assume Nelson worked all that into the calculations when the thing got made, right?

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
. . . If you think about the large glassed in front (less glass in the refit of course), there's already massive stresses at work on the bow area. I'd have to assume the manta fins were engineered to account for that.

Get to the refit and in addition to the front (magic) glass you've got the vast cavity of the Flying Sub bay (which may or may not be 'wet').

and of course just think of the FS sitting there when the Seaview pancakes back down into the water...
Then there's the stock footage of the 4-window Seaview running on the surface, sitting ridiculously high in the water and at a slightly bow-up angle. The miniature was probably filmed that way to jibe with what we saw in the observation nose, with rear-projected film of water splashing against the "glass" showing the waterline about halfway up the windows. If a submarine rode that high in the water, at least half of its interior volume would be taken up by ballast tanks.

The Proteus from Fantastic Voyage and UFO’s SkyDiver also have the same impossible displacement.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
What I like about the seaview sets were the 20 million miles of corridors not just going fore and aft but port and starbord as well! The thing would have needed to be as wide as 3 supertankers! Lol! Irwin...ya gotta love him! It's still the coolest looking sub ever!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
It is just a fictional sub in a science fiction television series!:confused:
What!! You mean all those episodes weren't documentries to show us what happened in the northern hemisphere before the world wide web... :rolleyes::p

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"It's just a model..."

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
The thing that I always thought was wrong (at least from the movie) was the shark tank. What happens to the water and the sharks when the Seaview breaches the surface like that?

I know. It's only a movie.

Jim

·
Registered
361 Posts
If I remember from the novelization of the movie, Admiral Nelson created the glass that was just as "sturdy" as the steel used in the rest of the ship. Thus the amazing Seaview was developed with the large observation port to view what's at the bottom of the sea.

By the time of the refit, they must not have cared to view the ocean life, afterall, all they've been seeing for the first season were giant octopi or giant hairry seamonsters. :tongue:

mjb

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Then there's the stock footage of the 4-window Seaview running on the surface, sitting ridiculously high in the water and at a slightly bow-up angle. The miniature was probably filmed that way to jibe with what we saw in the observation nose, with rear-projected film of water splashing against the "glass" showing the waterline about halfway up the windows. If a submarine rode that high in the water, at least half of its interior volume would be taken up by ballast tanks.

The Proteus from Fantastic Voyage and UFO’s SkyDiver also have the same impossible displacement.
Yeah, those later season surface running shots always bothered me, I can see IA telling the effects guys "I wanna see the windows! show the damn windows!", because if it was realistic they couldn't use the stock surface running footage for the projection screen...properly I think the 4-window would always be under the surface, ya?

As to the Skydiver riding high, there's a quasi-excuse, there is a fast running hydrofoil mode they use and a crash dive from that (with those giant wings on Sky 1) must have been a very interesting event to be part of.. :) But otherwise, yeah, rides way too high.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Now I suppose you guys are going to tell me the Flying Sub could never fly or be a sub...

and we won't even start in on SC or EB, you bunch of non-believers....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Now I suppose you guys are going to tell me the Flying Sub could never fly or be a sub...

and we won't even start in on SC or EB, you bunch of non-believers....
It can be a sub! Jacques-Yves Cousteau had the SP-350 Denise, famous as the "Diving saucer". Same color and launched in 1959.

"The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" had a sub also.:devil:

Mark Dean

1 - 20 of 35 Posts