Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Theres a place in Canada that will make one of those around 40 or so Grand. I might be off on the price I havent seen the site for quite awhile.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I think Barris actually built four cars (the original and three clones) over several years and I think he ended up with another car built by someone else along the way.
I'm pretty sure there were several Barris owned clones at the height of the cars popularity for auto shows etc.
I think the photo is three of those clones.
I think George sold all but the original car which I've been told was pretty well trashed (damaged in shipping back from Australia or some such thing!)
I've been told that the original car was torn up beyond economical repair but is stored at Barris' shop.
Who knows, it may have been restored since my last information which is a couple years old!

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
As far as I know, the #1 car has been fully restored, complete with new red striping , replacing the hideous yellow striping it was sporting a few short years ago. I inspected the interior a while back and it was still showing lots of wear, but I understand that that has been taken care of as well.

BTW, you might want to check out the latest issue of Femme Fatales magazine, which has an actress posing with the restored #1 car. There are other nice things in the mag as well. ;) Amanda from Stargate SG1 graces the cover.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Dave Metzner said:
I think Barris actually built four cars (the original and three clones) over several years and I think he ended up with another car built by someone else along the way.
The infamous #5, the one the guy lost because he was stupid enough to take it to shows and fairs and the like and charge for the appearances. He wasnt the brightest of bulbs on the Christmas tree.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I saw one last year at a toy show. It was setup for photos. This car was billed as an "replica", being built on a 60's Pontiac and with a fiberglass body. I think the was acompany that did built replicas in deal with Barris. The Guniness(sp) Records place in Gatinlinburg TN has one, but I have no idea which it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts