1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some little variations
blue shark with and without braces between the driver and windshield

vauhhall guildsman door handle in different places

beach buggy with different motors, other motor from sf 37 and different shades of pink

big banger with brace behind back window and without brace. also applies to pie-eyed piper, red rider, brown sugar etc.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks :) i can take credit for some of these but not all of the variations.
the differences were easier to spot at the time because of the quantity of available models. most of them were noted at the time of release nearly forty years ago :) i think the regular wheel collectors were more intense in finding variations :)

i still have a few more to post, some will be a little more difficult to photograph. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Thankyou for sharing Mountain :thumbsup: The one thing 95% of modern collectors of RW and transitionals are missing is a link back to those who collected 35 years ago when these were new.Most of us that are online these days discussing these toys had them as children, which is why I and most online collectors collect now.But the guys who had a personal connection to Fred Bonner or the Lesney factory are either dead or not online - their knowledge is passed to us in the Charlie Mack, Schiffer and Stannard books, although the discovery of errors, omissions and a few fakes (thankyou Charlie Mack!) show that these works are incomplete and need correction :wave:
I noticed some variations as a child , like the lime 53 Zodiac and both the opening and sealed doors versions of the gold 46 Mercedes 300SE but sharing of knowledge then was through catalogs ,the odd books or word of mouth.Now thanks to the internet the knowledge and opportunity (ebay) is available :dude:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i believed it was a little more reassuring if a model was available in a blister pack and found in retail outlets around the world. like I mention before, certain variations appeared and were only available from certain people.
luckily there were a group of collectors that tried to sift through the variations. it might not be 100% accurate , but it least it was a start. that’s why i have more faith and respect for certain guides. :)

i always wanted to know if a lesney employee saw a decrease in friends when they no longer worked for lesney. ;)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The Moutain said:
i believed it was a little more reassuring if a model was available in a blister pack and found in retail outlets around the world. like I mention before, certain variations appeared and were only available from certain people.
luckily there were a group of collectors that tried to sift through the variations. it might not be 100% accurate , but it least it was a start. that’s why i have more faith and respect for certain guides. :)

;)
Like the purple RW 67 VW1600TL which turns up in blister packs and playworn in Canada in sufficient numbers to prove it was released.The blue SF12 Land Rover was only available from certain people I have heard - so this may be a collector sponsered back door order.
I use a Schiffer guide and the online Christian Falkensteiner resource, but I started with Charlie Mack books which I sold on and dont miss :wave:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the silver landrover was supplied by someone who obtained them from somebody in japan. i don't think it was a retail store :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
All gold SF Land Rovers were painted silver as a base coat for the clear gold laquer applied on top - any genuine Lesney silver paint jobs must therefore be those that were removed from the line before the 2nd top coat of clear gold laquer was applied. Apparently this was easily arranged by Londoners in the early 1970s who took the trouble to find the right contacts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts